Corsair Community

CMX512-4000 problems with dividers on ASUS P4C800-E

phil stanbridge

Hi, I've got two sticks of this twinx ram, XMS4000v1.1. It runs perfectly at 1:1, at around 530mhz. However, it will NOT run at 3:2 or 5:4 at all. It refuses to even post. I have tried it in two different motherboards and I get the same problem. Any ideas what is causing this? Regards Phil

Hi phil and welcome to the forum. When you are trying to boot using the 5:4, what FSB are you setting? Also, what MOBO+CPU are you using. What is your Vcore and Vdimm? Please post up complete system spex along with your bios settings. FYI, from what I have been reading on other forums, it seems that most if not all brands of PC4000 using Hynix ICs does not like to run dividers at a high FSB. Just curious, why are you trying to run a divider with DDR500 RAM? Good luck, Mike.

Thanks for the reply - I'm running a 2.4C @ 320FSB hence the requirement for 5:4. Asus P4C800-E deluxe (latest final bios) Malay L322 2.4C Vcore is 1.65 (actual) VDimm is 2.85 That said, it will not post even at stock settings @ 5:4 OR 3:2. Only 1:1, so there is definitely something wrong. I have tried this motherboard with my other 3700 memory and it's fine at every divider, so it would appear to be memory related.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by phil stanbridge [/i] [B]Thanks for the reply - I'm running a 2.4C @ 320FSB hence the requirement for 5:4. [/B][/QUOTE] :praise: WOW! Nice FSB!:praise: I kinda figured that you had a HIGH FSB if you were trying to run a 5:4 with PC4000. You may want to search some and see if others are having the 5:4+PC4000 limitation you are. That may or may not be your problem. Your RAM runs at about the same FSB as mine at 1:1. I have never tried 5:4 but I may later if that machine is available to me. I prefer synchronous operation for DV editing but if I can get the wife off the machine long enough I'll test mine and let you know. She's making money though, so I may not have any luck getting the box. Good luck, Mike.

Thanks for the comments Mike. Obviously I don't run my machine like that all the time - it's purely for benchmarking - normally I run at around 250FSB (3ghz) 1:1, as I prefer synchronous also. Surely the ram *should* work at 5:4 or 3:2 @ stock though? It doesn't post as soon as I change the divider, no matter what the other settings are. I can understand it not working at high fsb, but this is at stock.

• 3 months later...
same problem here... ASUS P4C800-E Dlx, p4 2.4c @ 3.5 ~292fsb 5:4 2x CMX512-4000PRO sticks (1gb) 2.85vdimm WILL NOT POST @5:4 which should be 466mhz which is UNDERclocking the ram so no reason it shouldn't post timings are std 3-4-4-8 at 1:1 she runs fine but maxes out @267fsb (534mhz) Same EXACT config but swap the Corsair's for some BH5 pc3500 and it posts + boots + runs like a champ (but tops out at 281fsb) WHAT GIVES?:eyebuldge

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='LuckMan212'] so no reason it shouldn't post Same EXACT config but swap the Corsair's for some BH5 pc3500 and it posts + boots + runs like a champ (but tops out at 281fsb) WHAT GIVES?:eyebuldge[/QUOTE] At a glance it does not make any sense but as I noted above many users with RAM using Hynix ICs have reported the same problems. It appears that it may be either bios related and/or simply the ICs. The legendary Winbond BH-5s in the PC3500 could be the difference. And, the PC4000 was not designed for or tested for asynch operation. Mike.

Archived