Corsair Community

Incompatible modules on ASUS A8V Deluxe?

OK, I'll try to be brief. I have an ASUS A8V Deluxe (Socket 939, K8T800Pro, Dual Channel, 4 memory slots, unbuffered).

I have the following memory modules:

#1 : CMX512-3200C2Pro - XMS3202 v2.1 (2.5-3-3-6) on AMD

#2 : CMX512-3200C2Pro - XMS3202 v1.0 (2.5-3-3-6) on AMD

#3 : CMX512-3200XLPro - XMS3208 v1.1 (2-2-2-5)

#4 : CMX512-3200XLPro - XMS3208 v1.1 (2-2-2-5)

I have tried all combinations of the above modules, and the v2.1 module refuses to work with the other modules. Either the 2.1 module will fail to be recognized or the board will refuse to boot with it. I have tried both auto detection of timings as well as forcing the entire system to 2.5-3-3-6. I have also tried slightly raising the voltage. I understand that the dual channel configuration may effect which module is in which slot. The arrangement doesn't matter. The board will boot and operate normally with the 2.1 module alone; however, no combination of the 2.1 module with another module works.

I think I simply need to RMA the 2.1 module for a different/ older version. Go figure, the older module works better! Please advise RAM GUY!

• Corsair Employee
First thing, you cannot mix memory with this platform. Or it may not post because the memory controller is in the CPU. Second this is with this MB and or platform if you use more than 2 modules it will want to run them at DDR333. I would suggest testing the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org with the tested settings for that given module at 2.7 Volts with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, we would not be able to order modules by revision and we would only be able to replace a failing module for the exact same part# that was received.

Thanks RAM GUY. I agree that mixing the modules is less desirable than modules that are perfectly matched. Also, I understand that ASUS's own manual specifies that modules must be of the same CAS latency.

However, I don't understand why the module(s) fails to operate when the timings are set manually to the 2.5-3-3-6 timings which are approved by Corsair in these forums. With manual settings, the SPD timings should be irrelevant. Correct?

The modules have been tested individually in the motherboard. The modules are not failing. The modules work individually without errors. My issue is that the v2.1 module fails to work with the other three modules. Corsair guarantees compatibility, correct? Isn't that why I pay the premium?

I must respectfully disagree with you that four modules will run at DDR333. I'm fairly confident that the Socket 939 AMD chips handle four modules at DDR400 in dual channel mode without problem.

Perhaps if you cannot guarantee a certain revision for RMA, you can allow me to upgrade the two C2 modules to XLPRO. A small fee would be acceptable since this is higher quality memory.

Thank you. Please reply. I truly believe that I should be able to replace the incompatible module.

• Corsair Employee
With 4 modules I would suggest Cass 3-3-3-8 and 2t Command Rate at 2.8 Volts. However, we can only guarantee modules that have been purchased in a Twinx set with one set only at the tested settings. There are memory controller loading issues as you add more memory and using different modules will only complicate that. If the modules will pass http://www.memtest.org one up then the module is not the problem. And as I have said, there is no way for us to change to part #. You might see if the reseller will let you exchange them.

Archived