Corsair Community

Purchasing dilemma - 1 ML-120 or 1 Hydro 115 RGB

Salsiccia

So my upgrade from non-RGB H100i to H100i RGB Platinum is going very well, all up and running and very happy with the result. Have just discovered that I have 1 more 120mm slot in my case that needs a fan. I thought it was a 140mm when planning the build, turns out its a 120mm !!

My first thought was - Simple, pick up another 3xML-120 pack which gives me a spare LNP and Hub as well as 2 spare fans. In the back of my mind though when putting in the new cooler was the slight regret that I should have gone for the 115 RGB as I can easily fit a 280mm rad where the 240 is now. So now I'm thinking maybe I get the bigger cooler now and then re-deploy one of the ML-120s from the current cooler. That option will then give me 2 spare coolers. The old non-RGB one and the recently installed 100i Platinum, and a handful of fans.

Decisions Decisions !!

Wow, at this point, I think I'd just go the extra ML fan route and perhaps even pick up 1 vs. a 3 pack. That said unless you really think you'll have use for the extra fans. The H100i RGB Platinum is a great cooler, so unless you are trying to cool an i9 - I don't think I'd worry about moving up to the 280mm.

Easy to get caught in the upgrade cycle and while you may have use for extra fans, having a use for multiple extra coolers - may be less likely. Unless you are considering additional PC builds.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your comments. I think you're right - the extra fan is probably the smart answer. My problem is I am an upgrade tragic and once I'm in the zone I kind of "go hard or go home" !!!

My local supplier doesn't stock single RGB ML-120s. They can get them, but its order only. They have the 3 packs in stock. I don't like to wait when I'm in this mood !!

So true.

This upgrade came very close to including a new motherboard (and therefore CPU) just so I could add Corsair RGB RAM. (Currently I'm on DDR3 and RGB RAM means DDR4) And a new case because now with all this bling I want to show off the inside of the case as well, which means I need an inverted layout case (PC is to the left of my desk so I need a right windowed case).

Also currently wrestling with getting a new PCI-Ex USB3 card to get recognised so it will talk to my new Card reader that I also decided I needed now !

It never ends !

Its a good thing I have a good relationship with my local PC parts supplier - they love me !