Corsair Community

ValueSelect Dual Channel plus one

robertdor

I have an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard with an AMD XP 3200 Barton CPU. The mobo uses the nVidia nForce2 SPP chip set. The mobo has three memory slots. I have a pair of Corsair Value Select Dual Channel 512 sticks in the blue slots and the system works fine.

I purchased a single stick of Corsair VS 512k to put in the third slot. When I do, the system becomes unstable. I ran a series of tests using MemTest+ to isolate the problem. All the sticks test fine when installed solo. The Dual Channel sticks are fine when they are the only ones installed. But when I add the third stick, errors and lots of them. I tried all sort of variations in slot placement and combinations of sticks. No luck.

I researched the problem and came across a couple threads that indicates the nVidia chipset prefers the third stick to be the sum of the dual channel sticks. In other words, I could install a 1GB stick in the third DDR slot and my system might be happy.

Before I purchase a 1GB stick, I wanted to see if anyone else has any experience with this situation.

Another issue: Corsair only list a C3 1GB stick on their web site. The Dual Channel memory I currently use does not have the C3 on the part numbers. I can't find a non C3 1 GB stick anywhere online. Will the C3 stick work with my current memory?

My memory settings are: 2.5-3-3-8. Voltage is 2.6. Mobo BIOS is the latest (1013). nVidia chipset and graphics drivers are all the latest.

I create motion graphics and I need all the memory I can muster for previews and rendering. So anyway to squeeze more memory from this mobo would be a boon.

Thanks for any help.

Welcome to the forums, robertdor!

First off, most dual-channel mainboards don't like you to mix/match memory modules. Since the third module isn't "matched" to the first pair, that's what you're doing.

It might have a different IC, PCB, etc (Components of the module itself).

Thus, you may need to relax your latencies to get them to work, I.E. try 3-4-4-8 @ 2.65 or 2.7 volts and see if that helps.

As for the 1Gb stick, are you only looking at Value Select? I think all the VS 1GB modules are CAS 3 which is one of the reasons they're VALUE memory.

You'd probably have to go for a CMX1024-3200C2 module to do better, but with three installed, you'll have troubles getting it to run even at CAS 2.5, especially if all three aren't the same module.

PLUR

CK

Thanks for the welcome and the advice.

As a baseline, I upped the DDR voltage to 2.7 (2.65 is not available in my BIOS) and changed the memory settings to 3-4-4-8. Then I ran MemTest+ which completed successfully with errors.

I added the third stick of 512, ran MemTest+ and numerous errors resulted. So no joy there.

Is it possible to order memory by lot number to get a matched stick? What about the possibility of putting a 1G stick in the third slot?

Thanks.

Archived