Corsair Community

Using non Corsair addressable LEDs.

Tommygunn

I have a strip of Chinesium, 5V, adressable LEDs which I'd like to connect to my Corsair Commander Pro/LED Fan Hub.

Disregarding the plug incompatibility, is it possible to connect this strip, do I connect it to the Commander Pro No.2 socket or the LED Fan Hub module?

Cheers,

Tom.

As long as your strips are WS2812B, you should be good. WS2811 does not work.

You could connect it to either. The Fan Hub is just a signal distribution unit. However, the fan hub depends on the device to daisy chain the signal (it has a Data In and an Data Out) that you won't have on the strip. You can handle this by bridging pin 2 and pin 3.

Adapters are also available from a 3rd party.

If the WS2811 is 5v, then the red and green channels will be flipped. While some strips have issues with the Lighting Node Pro. They work fine on the Commander Pro. The WS2812B are the better type, they also have reverse polarity protection. That said, if you reverse the polarity (plug it in wrong) you will blow a fuse that is soldered inside the device.

I use cheap generic strips for ambient back lighting for my desk, though I do prefer Corsair strips for any application in the case. Magnets are so much better than adhesive and really wroth it, if you need to attach it to anything steel/iron.

Thanks for the replies, however, you've lost me on the 'WS' codes, I don't know what they refer to - LED size?

I suppose I can but give it a go, but I need to get the connections right for the strips. Can someone confirm the pin i/o's on the Commander? Have I got the pins named correctly, see below:

Commander-Pro-Pins.jpg

I think I'll connect the LED's directly to the Commander as the unit and LED strip are but a short distance from each other.

Solarity,

Good idea about the magnets. I was thinking of an alternative to tape and hot glue came to mind, easy to fix in place and easy to peel.

Tom.

Edited by Tommygunn

Ok, I've just checked the Aliexpress page where I bought the strip from, here are the specs they quote:

Model : LED Strip Light

Chip : SMD 5050

LED resource: WS2812B led(5050 SMD RGB LED with built-in improved version of ws2811 ic)

IC Type : improved version ws2812 IC(built inside the 5050 smd rgb led)

Voltage : DC 5V

LED Quantity : 30LED or 60LED or 144LED

Light Color : Dream Colorful Full RGB

Interface type: 3pin JST-SM connectors

Panel Width : 10mm

Thoughts?

Tom.

Ok, I've just checked the Aliexpress page where I bought the strip from, here are the specs they quote:

Model : LED Strip Light

Chip : SMD 5050

LED resource: WS2812B led(5050 SMD RGB LED with built-in improved version of ws2811 ic)

IC Type : improved version ws2812 IC(built inside the 5050 smd rgb led)

Voltage : DC 5V

LED Quantity : 30LED or 60LED or 144LED

Light Color : Dream Colorful Full RGB

Interface type: 3pin JST-SM connectors

Panel Width : 10mm

Thoughts?

Tom.

That should work. Limit a single channel to 60 LEDs tho.

Everything is wired up and working, sort of.

I have a strip of 60 leds but only the first ten from one end of the strip works. If I resolder the lead to the other end I get nothing at all.

Is there something weird going on or do I have a duff strip of leds?

Tom.

5-V-LED-Strip.jpg

• 3 weeks later...