Corsair Community

Help with a fan purchase please.

ExpeditionTommy

Hi all,

Just wondering people's thoughts on the best RGB fans to use for a x9 fan 120mm set up.

The fans are going in a Lian-Li 011 dynamic. LED colour will stay on solid white.

I'm willing to give up some CFM for the right looks.

I was looking at the Corsair ll120. But I've heard they're not compatible with some Asus motherboards? Also I'd need X2 Corsair commander pros? 

Any suggestions or information is greatly appreciated. Or any diagrams for the Corsair ll120s, showing what I'd need for the x9 fans with control over the RGB.

If anyone had a guide/diagram for x9 fans so I know what to purchase and install that'd be great

Thanks 😁

I was looking at the Corsair ll120. But I've heard they're not compatible with some Asus motherboards? Also I'd need X2 Corsair commander pros? 

What? No, all Corsair fans will work with Asus motherboard headers. All LL, HD, and ML-RGB fans are 4 pin PWM fans. You still need a separate power system for the fan lighting, but that is a different matter. There is no native way for Asus Aura to control the Corsair lighting, nor would you want it to. Aura's controls are massively more simplistic and limited, if that was the real inquiry.

You do not need any Commander Pro devices, but you may want one. It will solve two problems. Running 9 fans from the board is going to be tricky. You need a software interface to link fans to the iCUE program and that is the Lighting Node Pro (LNP). The Commander Pro is a LNP + 6 port fan controller. That may have value to you in setting things up, but is not required. More on the linked page above.

One to think about with the 011 is fan orientation. Lots of 011 builds with LL fans, but note the LL fan only has the ring on one side. You may want to plan out your flow direction to know which way the fans will face.

If you are really tied to an "all white" LED build, make sure you check out various videos and pictures of the fans in the white state. Like all other RGB LEDs, the white tone really varies from device to device and this is true of the LL/HD/ML-RGB fans as well. If you really are destined for white alone, nothing does white like the HD fans. They also have a clear frame and reflect a lot of light, plus there really isn't a lighting difference from the front or back of the fan. This makes placement and flow direction more flexible.