Corsair Community

VS1GBKIT400 & POST freeze after a BIOS access

hardasanut

This regards a VS1GBKIT400 & Athlon XP 2600+ both @ 166mhz + ECS KT600-A system. I posted my system specs and settings in a related thread a few weeks ago (http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34414&highlight=vs1gbkit400+kt600-a), but essentially, the parts above with the ram at 2.5-3-3-8 and locked at 2.5 volts (2.57 in the bios monitor).

The problem: basically, it seems as if every time I go into BIOS, even if I exit without saving or don't change any settings, the next time I boot, POST freezes right after listing the total memory put in. Then I'd have to replace the Corsairs with a Kingston I upgraded from, do nothing else, and then the system would run normally again (after which I can put the Corsairs back in and be ok until the next time I access BIOS). I tried this a couple times and the freeze came up every time.

Now the problem isn't too critical, but it is an inconvenience, and it means I'd have to keep the Kingston around if I ever do need to mess with BIOS (which happens to be soon as I'm putting in a RAID card and moving my system to that hd setup).

I'd just like to know if anybody's ever heard of such a problem before and what a workaround or solution might be, not involving replacing any parts due to compatability. I'll reply with other pertinent info if asked, but to speed things up, as far as the parts go, please just check my last thread (linked up top) and google the part names or something.

---

And since I'm here, to follow up on my last thread (linked above), I got an RMA, am impressed by the customer service and the support in this forum, but the situation is still the same (memtest showing consistent errors only in test 5 or 7, errors for only one test per test run). It seems the mobo and mem probably just don't want to play together without a fuss, and I've convinced myself that I can live with whatever the memtest errors imply.

Well the memory may not be getting enough voltage, as they are normally tested @ 2.7x volts. Also, I've combined your user accounts. Why ****** in the first place anyway???

sorry, i don't know why ***** showed up. i was wondering if it was just censoring my name to me.

yeah, i figured the voltage was a big issue, so i'll probably eventually just pick up a mobo that can take care of it (hopefully it'll be listed as compatible--i couldn't access the corsair comp database today, some errors or something), then i can maybe look into getting things running at 400mhz instead of underclocking the ram.

still, could the voltage be partially or completely responsible for the after-bios access freezing? i'm just curious as how that may be.

Well firstly did you try to run the rig with only one module, you rmanual tells us that you cannot run 2 double sided DDR400 modules, I have no clue whether the Value select kit of Corsair is single or double sided ram, In case if it's double sided you have to leave one ram out till you buy a decent mobo which can support your ram. Did you try to run memtest with only one dimm ? It could well be that one of the dimms is defective so you have to spend some time to find out.

Also update the mobo's bios to the latest version 1.2C I found on ECS webbie. ( please do it with the Kingston memory a bad bios update could ruin the mobo. ) I hardly think Corsair ram is at fault here it's just hardware that doesn't seem to get along sadly. Get a mobo from brands like MSI, DFI, ASUS, Epox, avoid Asrock and ECS they can be solid mobo's but they don't allow any fiddling around regarding setttings which can be a life savior like in your case.

Also in the bios there's an option of fastwritess for the AGP card this must be set to disabled and in the ram section of the bios ther's bank interleave must alos be set to diasbled. Set up the one dimm of Corsair like Ramguy said cas 3-3-3-8, normally the ram ( one dimm at least should be working correctly)Igf this doesn't help it's back to the shop and try to swap the mobo for a better one.

Yeah, the Corsairs I have are double-sided, a note I didn't notice until it was too late to return either mobo or memory, and they don't run at ddr400, but at ddr333 they seem to at least let the computer boot and run XP without crashes for the couple weeks/longest time I've left the thing on.

Memtest still pops up the test 5 or 7 errors with both, which was the best I could get with the settings recommended to me (whichever I could set), and having only one stick actually seemed to give me more problems.

The sticks I have now were what Corsair sent back to me after RMA, so I have assumed they are both fine despite the memtest errors, which I attribute to incomplete compatibility.

I don't currently remember my bios version, it was current when I posted my last thread, but I'll definitely check after some sleep. I also didn't realize how important having the freedom to adjust settings was (at least when it comes to ddr400 and compatibility issues), but I definitely intend to include reading through online manuals for computer parts as well as compatibility discussion before I pick up future items.

Question 1: what is fastwrite for AGP for, and why should it be disabled in my case? I'd have to look in bios, but I think I left it on because it said to turn it on if the card supports it (it's a sapphire ati 9600xt card)

Question 2: should the fastwrite setting and interleave setting be disabled when one corsair is used, or when two are used, or both? i assume interleave requires at least 2 sticks, but i didn't really get much info reading about it.

Question 3: as far as getting a new motherboard goes, if I were to get a new one, I want to make the most out of my Corsairs (as in doing dual channel ddr400 at at least it's recommended settings); thing is, I read that double-sided ram like what I have can't really dual-channel reliably. Is this true for nForce2 ultra 400 boards? I've been looking at these as the best I can get for my athlon barton cpu (socket 462). If dual-sided ram really can't dual-channel reliably, then I'll just pass on the mobo unless my current setup really gives me problems.

Regarding fastwritess and bank interleave, these settings are there for a small speed improvement but don't expect much of it. I certainly would disable bank interleave as it's the culprit of many memory issues, regarding weird lockups, BSOD. For the fastwrites it's trial and error mate, most ATI users turn them off to enhance stability of the card during high end gaming. You will loose again a percent or two regarding performance but it's better to play the games without crashes and finish it with 35fps then to lockup and play at 37fps. But with the 9600 range of cards some users can leave them on without any hassles ( bench it with 3dmark 2001 and Aquamark) If the card benches without any lockups with fastwrites enabled leave them on, if you get weird behaviour disable them.

Regarding the mobo get a good Nforce2 Ultra 400 mobo. It will let you run those dimms dual channel and at full speed. Plu smost brands ( Asus, DFI,MSI allow all necessary tweaks to get the system rock stable) Post your question at http://www.abxzone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46 to let them help you to pick the right board for your requirements. Look into the AMDXP Nvidia section and look for a dude called Garnett. Most of them love their Asus Nforce 2's

Archived