Corsair Community

H100i Platinum SE replacement Pump Noise

viatorium

I just received my platinum SE replacement cooler (yay recalls...) and upon installation (front mounted, tubes on top) the pump makes a loud non stop gurgling sound when set to quiet, an intermittent gurgling sound when set to balanced, and a normal loudish whirring sound when set to extreme. not worried about the extreme setting but id like to be able to use quiet and balanced without sounding like i have a rock tumbler in my computer case.

Is this due to air bubbles? The sound when set to "Quiet" is fairly loud and non-stop but when i lay my computer on its side the noise ceases. If this is due to air in the cooler, what is the likelihood that this improves over time?

I had to pay for the advanced RMA process in order to not have a useless computer while dealing with the recall so I am not looking forward to having to do this again if at all avoidable.

Bubbles. It will work itself out in time, but to expedite the process, try changing the pump speed from low to high to low and again every 10 seconds or so. You are trying to create a little pressure wave on the speed change to push the bubbles out of the block. If that does not work, set it to high and try rocking the case a little to help things along.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

I have the same issue, affected lot --> RMA --> new cooler with bubble noise at low speed.

Did u solve it? How?

Edit: i have 3-4 degres more with this replacement as well, did u notice the same?

is that possible is there less liquid inside?

Edited by HJDP
adding more infos

Same process as above. If it is really persistant, you can take the whole think off and shake it (or just the pump head), but that is very hit or miss and not the first option.

A 3-4C shift in coolant temperature is a lot from moment to moment, but not necessarily weeks apart. Don't forget your room and case temp is the baseline, so a +2C increase in room temp means +2C coolant temp. It is also possible the bubbles are contributing as it slightly restricts flow in the CPU block. And just to throw one more variable in, don't forget that pump LED lighting intensity may have some effect on some of the Platinum coolers.

No luck in changing speed.

This evening i'll try to remove the radiator part and move the liquid.

You can probably get away with just unbolting the pump head and shaking that piece, unless you are packed in a micro-atx box. Also, we are assuming this is bubbles. Bubbles will sound like static pops. The sound will be variable, never consistent, and changing pump speed does not alter the intensity, although of course the pump motor will become audible underneath. On the other hand, a mechanical pump issue will sound like grinding, metallic, and be fairly persistent. When you increase the speed, it gets worse. This may also take the form of loud electric hum at all speeds, decidedly different from random static popping.