Corsair Community

H115i Failure to Cool

zvoodoo

TL;DR: Cooler no longer cools, isnt picked up as device, gives error on boot, despite fans and LEDs working

The problem: After 5 hours of gaming yesterday I stop and notice the indication light is no long working but the temps are fine. A simple restart usually fixes it and Link picks it up and fixes it, this time it doesnt. After restart all fans are full blast and pump light and pump itself start flickering in and out. CPU TEMP hits 100c in 5 minutes at boot while trying to deal with cpu_fan speed error. 36 hours later I cant figure this out.

What Ive done: Immeadiately unplugged all wires from pump and fans, removed almost everything, re-sat pump with new paste plugged everything back in per manual. Checked heads and plugs for obstruction, cleaned everything, swapped fan headers(some success) reinstalled Link and ICue

The Anomoly: I get the cpu fan speed error when I have the one plug on cpu_fan, but when I move it to another header the error goes away and lets me into winows but the problem persists. Both Link and ICue do not pick up H115i at all.

Heres where I am at, I have no idea what the issue is, I suspect either pump or plug failure, driver error. I have an air cooler on order but Id like to save myself $90. If anyone can help Id gladly paypal

Yes. It it most likely it was an electrical failing inside the pump circuit. Most of the time this stuff happens at power on. That doesn't mean you should live in fear of turning your PC on and off, but if you've got a bad circuit, the power on phase is the one that usually ends it. The lack of detection + CPU fan error is also a strong indicator of this. The Overheat in 5 minutes (the first time) is a clear sign the coolant is not moving. You didn't get the CPU boot error on the other headers because only CPU Fan provides that features. This is why we usually suggest keeping the cooler lead there, even when it is not a power supply line like on the H115i. You get the error when it fails on power on.

Contact Corsair Tech Support through the ticket system in the menu bar above to start the RMA process or pick out something new (or both). Air cooler backup is getting to be a necessary thing everyone should have, but you could also use the new H115i for the same purpose if you wanted something else. In the meantime, be careful. In a zero flow state you have only 60-90 seconds before you get into trouble and once you heat it up, the coolant has not way to move the heat to the exit. The local CPU area will stay hot for quite a while until it naturally moves elsewhere.

Edited by c-attack

Yes. It it most likely it was an electrical failing inside the pump circuit. Most of the time this stuff happens as power on. That doesn't mean you should live in fear of turning your PC on and off, but if you've got a bad circuit, the power on phase is the one that usually ends it. The lack of detection + CPU fan error is also a strong indicator of this. The Overheat in 5 minutes (the first time) is a clear sign the coolant is not moving. You didn't get the CPU boot error on the other headers because only CPU Fan provides that features. This is why we usually suggest keeping the cooler lead there, even when it is not a power supply line like on the H115i. You get the error when it fails on power on.

Contact Corsair Tech Support through the ticket system in the menu bar above to start the RMA process or pick out something new (or both). Air cooler backup is getting to be a necessary thing everyone should have, but you could also use the new H115i for the same purpose if you wanted something else. In the meantime, be careful. In a zero flow state you have only 60-90 seconds before you get into trouble and once you heat it up, the coolant has not way to move the heat to the exit. The local CPU area will stay hot for quite a while until it naturally moves elsewhere.

The Cooler itself is about 2-3years old at this point, is a return/RMA still in the books? Thank you for the in-depth response, I appreciate you taking the time.

You should be able to log into your account and generate an invoice from that order. I don't know what they will or will not accept. Probably case by case basis.

Yeap, your online order record should be good enough. It has all the info needed for RMA purpose.