Corsair Community

Large disparity between temps of block and CPU (115i block, 2700x CPU)

Roosterneeb

Hey guys, new here, so feel free to tell me if this is in the wrong place.

I've noticed that my 115i block temps have a +10c difference than my Ryzen 2700x. I let it sit for a few days thinking maybe the thermal paste hadn't set yet (Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, after swabbing both the block and the CPU with alcohol of residual thermal paste).

It's been about a week-ish and my temps are still high, with the stock paste, and with Kryonaut. (Not together of course, I let the stock sit for a few days, then did a reapplication once I saw the temps as high as they were).

I have attached my screenshots of iCue temps by themselves, another comparing iCue temps with HWinfo temps, my thermal paste application, and my overclock (4.1ghz per core)

Both of the pictured temps are at idle. When gaming, they typically go into the 60s, sometimes 70s, with my absolute highest being at 81c.

Did I do something wrong or should I RMA?"

Also I added a picture of my fan layout in paint. The purple boxes are 140MLs that came with the 115i, and the green boxes are 120LLs that came with my case.

iCue_HWinfo.thumb.png.1ed04940997cbce883309378c6508eeb.png

iCue.png.79557ce75352d20ce8e7ad08f7b46916.png

CPUZ.png.b3674a9e353bafa52cdf863b63ccbea9.png

903751162_PasteApplication.jpg.39a85aad21af9c452dc9848fbcf739b6.jpg

Fans.png.70498fd313d384431302ec74fa2dc2e2.png

Edited by Roosterneeb
Added picture.

The Ryzen 2700x appears to have a higher idle temperature than corresponding Intel offerings in the same core/TDP family. At idle, there is little heat to dissipate, so airflow and fan configuration have minimal impact. It is possible your paste job is less than perfect, but I don't see many 2700x owners talking about idle temps below 40C. I'll let them elaborate on that, but it is mostly likely because AMD is not utilizing as many power saving features in that state. For my CPU to equal the coolant temperature, then the Vcore needs to be zero. Otherwise, electricity is being applied on one side of the CPU and creating heat, then that heat must pass through the CPU to exit into the coolant stream. At low levels the cooler can dump the heat on one pass in seconds, but it still passes through the CPU causing an increase in temperature.

Probably unrelated to coolant temperature but possibly your CPU temp readings is what happens when you run HWiNFO/AIDA/HWMon, etc. at the same time as iCUE. Note your 3/5/12 voltages are a touch low. The two programs conflict over data reading and you wind up with zeros, absurd maximum values (228C, -30C, etc.) or just jibberish somewhere in the middle. You can try and set up HWiNFO to not read Corsair components, but I still sometimes glitch. Just keep it mind when trying to assign value or certainly compare values between programs.

For my CPU to equal the coolant temperature, then the Vcore needs to be zero. Otherwise, electricity is being applied on one side of the CPU and creating heat, then that heat must pass through the CPU to exit into the coolant stream.

This would explain the spikes that I've been seeing, I think. My CPU temp will rest at around a 40, dipping into the high 30s, then suddenly spike 10 degrees for no apparent reason. I originally thought it was a hotspot my paste job was missing, but your explanation really helped. Thanks.

That being said, I found that my vcore temps were a little high (~1.4v) and have since reduced them to 1.3v while keeping a similar overclock. I'll play with this more and see how it goes. Thank you for your insight!

This would explain the spikes that I've been seeing, I think. My CPU temp will rest at around a 40, dipping into the high 30s, then suddenly spike 10 degrees for no apparent reason. I originally thought it was a hotspot my paste job was missing, but your explanation really helped. Thanks.

That being said, I found that my vcore temps were a little high (~1.4v) and have since reduced them to 1.3v while keeping a similar overclock. I'll play with this more and see how it goes. Thank you for your insight!

The CPU temperature spikes likely happen when the CPU is taxed. Could be a background process, Windows Update, etc. that only takes a moment.

And yes, running at high voltage will naturally cause a lot of heat.

Edited by Glzmo

After I reduced the vcore as I mentioned earlier and let it run for a few hours, my idle temps are a lot more manageable (36.8c as I'm typing, spiking upwards 10 degrees every so often).

The Ryzen CPU temp spikes are a documented issue with TPO in r/AMD and other places, but honestly, I'm just happy I got my idles/gaming temps below 40c/60c and maintained a 4.1ghz overclock.

Once I did the overclock manually, temps seemed to fix themselves.

I have a configuration very similar to your Crosshair Hero VI + R7 2700X @ 4.2 / 4.35Ghz (PBO LVL2) + H115i Platinum.

When I play (AC Odyssey / SWBattelfront II) the processor temperature is around 50 ° C with maximum peaks of a few seconds at 58 ° C.

PCH/VRM temperature is high to be in idle.

Here are my idle temperatures (T. amb. 24°C)

Hwinfo.thumb.png.b547d664defcd55dfc584f0f7bb9d84b.png