Corsair Community

Does the Corsair H60 requires a whole sata power cable for itself?

Contiusa

As it is in the title, I read a customer's review on Newegg saying that he tried plugging the SATA cable into the SATA power cable together with other hardware. It did not work. He said that after a search he found out that the H60 requires a SATA power cable with nothing else plugged to it. Just the pump. Otherwise it won't work.

Is that true? My two SATA power cables are already powering other hardware.

You guys can check on Newegg.

I would appreciate a response, because I intend to buy one, but not if the pump won't work in my rig.

Regards,

The SATA cable I get it, what I don't get is the guy saying you can't plug anything else on the power cable. Corsair support is replying to any post reporting problems, but not on this guy's post.

He might be trolling or slandering the product, because the idea seems silly to say the least, but these hardware’s have been coming with lots of unnecessary features or requirements, and unaware customers buy into these stuff and pay premium for that.

I just don’t want to go through an RMA because my SATA power cables are already being used by other hardware.

Hard to say if he's trolling. That may have resolved an issue for him and he assumed that it "required" its own connector ... even though that wasn't the root cause. We've certainly seen cases where an individual connector was bad.

As I mentioned, I've never had any of my coolers on their own SATA cables. It's simply impractical. I won't say for certain because I don't have an H60 ... but the coolers I do have draw more power so I think it's a pretty safe bet that if the H115's and H150's don't need their own line, the H60 doesn't either.

But don't put them on a splitter.

2-3W for the pump. Theoretical 54W maximum on the SATA 12v rail, so no... the H60 2018 does not need its own SATA cable. What else this guy had on the SATA line, his PSU, the extension/splitter, all factor into this stuff. It is not uncommon for people to run into issues when daisy chaining stuff together. That does not mean you can't run the H60 on the same line as two SSDs.

Cool, thanks for the feedback guys. The possibility of him having problems with his SATA cable is more plausible.

I think I'll give it a try. I really liked the previous H60. And the new one seems to deal better with the mounting screws (saw no gap in the videos).

Cheers,

It all depends on the Power Supply. If you have an inadequate or bad power supply that has multiple rails available for the SATA connections, then it could very well be that one rail gets oversaturated and choosing a second one might help. Of course, the cable could be bad as well. Generally, having it plugged in with several devices should be fine, as long as the PSU can provide power up to SATA spec on the used rail.

Archived