Corsair Community

H100i Platinum RGB whirring sound from pump?

Vegasm

Hi all,

I've got this system running since a few days:

Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

CPU: 2700X Ryzen 7

GPU: Asus RTX2080

RAM: Corsair DDR4 Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3200

And a Corsair H100i Platinum RGB with the fans hooked up to its own connectors and the usb cable from the pump hooked up to a Corsair Commander Pro. The H100i is recognized in Corsair iCUE but I think there are some problems with the pump.

On balanced the pump stays around 2400-2500 RPM. On quiet the pump stays around 2000 RPM but this very annoying ''whirring'' or ''electrical/crackling'' sound occurs. It immediately stops when switching to balanced or extreme. On extreme theres a higher pitched sound and it goes up to around 3000 RPM but that's to be expected I guess.

This sound from the quiet profile doesn't seem normal. Is the pump faulty? Idle temperatures are around 30c so that seems fine. In The Division 2 under load (all settings maxed on 2K resolution) it stays under 60c.

I read somewhere the pump shouldn't be recognizable when on quiet mode but mine sure as hell is so that's why I think it's faulty.

Your input is appreciated!

Kind regards,

Dan

edit: I have to say though, my case (Lian Li PCO11) is standing like 30cms away from me so I guess not wanting to hear anything is unrealistic.

edit2: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=182972 the video in this thread shows the sound my pump makes when on quiet profile. I will let it run on extreme mode for a while to see if it fixes the problem. Still though, is 2000 RPM normal on quiet mode?

Edited by Vegasm

Hello,

Hmm, have you tried reseating the cooler? Try what was mentioned in that thread, see if helps at all. Regarding the pump's RPM, 2000~ is normal for the Platinum coolers.

I have not. But I don't notice any difference in sound between balanced and quiet profile on the pump so I'm just leaving it at balanced for the time being. It's still very quiet all together so maybe I'm just making to much of it.. Still though, it's strange that it makes the noise from the video when switched to a quiet profile..

I'm not sure if I mounted the pump correctly onto the CPU though. I hand turned the screws until they started tilting a bit so maybe it's too tight, I don't know. Temperatures are as stated though, around 30c idle so not much of a problem.

Edited by Vegasm

I tried reseating the cooler.

I also made a video showing the 3 profiles, starting with quiet > balanced > extreme. You can definitely hear the difference between the 3 profiles with the first one (quiet) having the strange sound.

[ame]

[/ame]