Corsair Community

BIOS beeping after memtest

andre.n

HI everyone!

I got myself a brand new system:

AMD Sempron 3000+

512 Corsair VS512MB400 ram stick (PC3200)

ASUS A7V600-x MB

400W Quality P-supply

(graphics card(geforceMX/400) and HD are from my old pc)

Now the Problem... After I have tried flashing my digital-Sat-receiver over RS232, my PC crashed and MB started beeping like mad (got an award bios: so meaning RAM problem acc. to beeping code). Doing the same procedure on another PC with the same OS - nothing bad happens.

So I run a memtest86. After ~25mins at the end of the first run, same thing happens: continous beeping and black screen. Although no actuall errors are displayed...

Can anyone please help?

Thanks

BIOS SETTINGS:

2000MHz (12X166) for the CPU, Voltage: auto

Memory configuration:

mem-freq:auto,

cas latency and delays by SPD, but it seems to be correct (2.5-3-3-8),

SDRAM command control: auto,

Bank interleave: disabled,

DRAM burst length 8QW: disabled

rg, andrew

• Corsair Employees

The memory frequency should be set to 100% or 1-1 with this platform.

Please try these settings:

BIOS SETTINGS:

Memory configuration:

Dim Voltage 2.7 Volts

mem-freq:1-1/100%

cas latency and delays by User Define,

Cass (2.5-3-3-8),

The memory frequency should be set to 100% or 1-1 with this platform.

Please try these settings:

BIOS SETTINGS:

Memory configuration:

Dim Voltage 2.7 Volts

mem-freq:1-1/100%

cas latency and delays by User Define,

Cass (2.5-3-3-8),

Thanx 4 reply!

By the way, the same beeping crash happens from time to time during normal Computer work (eg. i-net browsing), especially at the start of mashine. And also sometimes freezes in BIOS setup. (CPU doesnt overheat 4sure)

To your comment: Unfortunately there is no possibilty to set the DIMvoltage in my BIOS... by the way, on the DIMM Socket it says: 2,5V... what other options do I have?

and what does 1-1/100% mean?

rg, Andrei

You should set the memory frequency at DDR333 or 1-1 with your CPU!

Hmm... I thought that my memory can support 400Mhz, so why DDR333?

Can I set the FSB of my CPU (Sempron, 3000+, 2GHz runs with 166/33) to a higher frequency? Won't it get damaged even if I decrease the multiplier?

• Corsair Employees

This is a chipset limitation.

If the FSB of your CPU is 400 For Intel and 100 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports only DDR 266.

If the FSB of your CPU is 533 For Intel and 133/166 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 266/333

If the FSB of your CPU is 800 MHz for Intel and 200 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 333/400

This is a chipset limitation.

If the FSB of your CPU is 400 For Intel and 100 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports only DDR 266.

If the FSB of your CPU is 533 For Intel and 133/166 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 266/333

If the FSB of your CPU is 800 MHz for Intel and 200 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 333/400

I can't quite follow... So you mean it's useless that I am using a DDR400 RAM, because my CPU is anyway slower with 166Mhz FSB? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I lost a track with all these frequencies...

--- So what settings should I set for my CPU and RAM for optimal performance? ---

Your memory frequency should be set to 100% or 1-1 so it's in sync with your CPU. And since you have a 333FSB CPU your memory should be at DDR333.

Aha..

So I am practically not able to use the whole speed-capability of my RAM? :[pouts:

Shouldn't I just go back to the shop and exchange it to a cheaper DDR333?

Strange... I thought that Sempron 3000+ was a superb processor able to support new DDR400 technology :[pouts:

...Therefore, memory has to be run @ 333 Mhz.

Where is the contradiction? My memory supports up to 400MHz, and running it at 333Mhz will be underusing the resources as far as I understand, or am I wrong here?

Read what I quoted. In one part, you said it has an FSB of 400 Mhz. In another, you stated you have a Sempron 3000+ (Socket A). Read that link. It only supports an FSB of 333 Mhz.

AMD CPUs don't like running the memory asynchronous from the FSB. In otherwords, they don't like it when you run the memory @ 400 Mhz, and the FSB @ 333 Mhz. Best to keep them the same unless you like having an unstable system. Yes, the memory can handle 400 Mhz.

Now, if you overclock the FSB of the CPU to 400 Mhz, then you can run the memory at it's full potential. No clue if that CPU will OC that high though.

Archived