Corsair Community

Idle temps with H150i PRO and 5960X

RecklessCoding

Hi all,

Due to moving countries, I was forced to "upgrade" to a Fractal R6 and a H150i PRO from my S340 and an exceptional H110i GTX (with Noctua fans).

During installation, I got distracted and twisted the cooler/pump unit off its clamp ring. I ended up repasting with a three-years old NH-1 paste.

On my previous setup, the H110i used to give me 27-30c on idle and up to 50c on quiet mode during load. The H150i cools my CPU at around 38-40c on idle, but to my confusion, load is still still under 50c!

Any ideas why my idle temps are so high or is it normal for the H150i? I thought that the paste might be old, but TBH I don't see how it justify an 8-10 degrees difference. The ambient temp is the same in both houses.

Any ideas/advice is appreciated!

An 8-10C swing is usually not cooler related since that is almost double your coolant delta. Check your Windows power setting and your CPU load in the task manager. Is something using an abnormal amount of resources at idle? Is the H150i top or front mounted? What is the idle coolant temperature (H150i Temp)?

An 8-10C swing is usually not cooler related since that is almost double your coolant delta. Check your Windows power setting and your CPU load in the task manager. Is something using an abnormal amount of resources at idle? Is the H150i top or front mounted? What is the idle coolant temperature (H150i Temp)?

Front mounted in both cases. It is around 30-31c.

There isn't anything abnormal load wise. It is afterall the same installation of Windows, only with different case (which has more fans) and cooler.

Your core temps should be essentially the same as the coolant temperature when at idle. Two possible things that change this are: 1) Actual CPU load or the OS preventing the CPU was utilizing any of the normal power saving features. 2) Poor thermal contact between the cold plate and CPU. However, you would expect that condition to extend to load conditions as well.

Using a front dust filter over the H150i will have negative consequences. The exact distance from the screen to fans can make turn this from noticeable to debilitating, but again this would be the same problem at load and it should show in coolant temperature differences as well.

Your core temps should be essentially the same as the coolant temperature when at idle. Two possible things that change this are: 1) Actual CPU load or the OS preventing the CPU was utilizing any of the normal power saving features. 2) Poor thermal contact between the cold plate and CPU. However, you would expect that condition to extend to load conditions as well.

Using a front dust filter over the H150i will have negative consequences. The exact distance from the screen to fans can make turn this from noticeable to debilitating, but again this would be the same problem at load and it should show in coolant temperature differences as well.

Hence my confusion! Right now, I have DOTA2, Luminar3, Lightroom, Photoshop, Unity and Visual Studio opened and the CPU is just around 42 degrees. If I close all these, the CPU will still be around 40c!

I understand that the 5960X is a powerful CPU and I only stress it past 50% load when I train dNNs. However, this is a bit odd. Your first hypothesis was my original thought, but I can't see anything different between now and when the H110i was used.

Are your 8 individual core and “CPU package temperature” the same? Can you add the cores individually to the dashboard OR close down iCUE and kill the Corsair services in the task manager, then try a different program (HWInfo, HWMon, Aida64, etc)? Cpu package temp on Haswell E is more like socket temperature. It will never run at coolant and both of mine ran a constant +10-12C above the core/coolant. I don’t know what iCUE sees as “the CPU temp” and I never used it on those machines. I am wondering if it is not coincidence you are +10-12C over the expected temps now.

Are your 8 individual core and “CPU package temperature” the same? Can you add the cores individually to the dashboard OR close down iCUE and kill the Corsair services in the task manager, then try a different program (HWInfo, HWMon, Aida64, etc)? Cpu package temp on Haswell E is more like socket temperature. It will never run at coolant and both of mine ran a constant +10-12C above the core/coolant. I don’t know what iCUE sees as “the CPU temp” and I never used it on those machines. I am wondering if it is not coincidence you are +10-12C over the expected temps now.

I already checked at mobo's bios, HWInfo, and MSI Command Centre. They all report similar temps with iCUE.

My current package is 45 degrees and cores are ranging from 35 to 40 degrees. Coolant is at 35c.

Somehting I may do is get 3x ML120 to add as pull, in addition to the existing fans, and maybe another exhaust fan at the bottom of the case. Random question: With Commander PRO, can I connect both the AIO and an RGB controller to its header? If I do so, can I control them individually from iCUE?

My current package is 45 degrees and cores are ranging from 35 to 40 degrees. Coolant is at 35c.

Ok, that is normal. Cores are at or just above coolant as the voltage clicks on/off. Coolant temp is lowest possible core temp. Socket temp (package temp) is +10C over the cores and it always will be at idle. At full load that will change and they will be much closer. All 4 of HW-E cpus I owned or tested had this characteristic. The pin side of the cpu where that sensor is located is always under voltage and runs warmer than the unloaded cores.

So now we are back to normal coolant management stuff. 35C would be a bit warm for idle, unless your room is 28C. To be at 27-28C idle on the cores, the coolant needs to get down to that level. Usual stuff like fan speed and normal case management apply. Also, make sure you are not using the Quiet pump speed at 1100 rpm. That alone would account for the difference at idle.

Somehting I may do is get 3x ML120 to add as pull, in addition to the existing fans, and maybe another exhaust fan at the bottom of the case. Random question: With Commander PRO, can I connect both the AIO and an RGB controller to its header? If I do so, can I control them individually from iCUE?

AIO will go into Commanders USB 2.0 header (it has 2). RGB lighting hub will go into 1of 2 RGB “channels”. The pump itself does not require a lighting controller - just RGB fans.

Push pull isn’t quite as helpful on a thin 30mm 360, but we can look at that. Someone else ran some comparisons earlier today and there was a stunning evenness to coolant temp across the 400-1600 rpm range on the fans. Airflow may not be the limiting factor.

AIO will go into Commanders USB 2.0 header (it has 2). RGB lighting hub will go into 1of 2 RGB “channels”. The pump itself does not require a lighting controller - just RGB fans.

Push pull isn’t quite as helpful on a thin 30mm 360, but we can look at that. Someone else ran some comparisons earlier today and there was a stunning evenness to coolant temp across the 400-1600 rpm range on the fans. Airflow may not be the limiting factor.

Cheers - I order one as soon as I decide on which mouse to get (Ironclaw or M65 Elite or G502) to save on shipping (shipping in Sweden is a bit expensive...).

I doubt that it will help on the CPU, but it might help to push more air into the case and decrease the ambient temp of the case.

BTW thank you for all the help!

Archived