Corsair Community

TwinX CMX-512 3200XLPT Errors

MSB128

Having problems yet again with my sticks. This set replaced the first ones I had trouble with. Ran MemTest and I've got more errors than before.

General problems involve freezing with only WMP10 running at random times. I have yet to try other memory intensive programs.

Here are my BIOS settings as per suggestions on this board:

CAS Latency Time 2.0

ACT to Precharge Delay 6

DRAM To RAS to CAS Delay 3

DRAM To RAS to precharge 2

DDR SDRAM Voltage 2.7v

DRAM Ratio 1:1

All game accelerators in the BIOS are at default.

Please tell me there are some modifications to the BIOS settings I can use to fix things. CPU is the one with the 800FSB. What voltage should that get? How 'bout the AGP? Those are set at default right now. The only things I've changed are the ones dealing with the memory. I really can't afford to lose time not having this computer since I'll have to send in both sticks of RAM as they are a matching pair.

I really appreciate the help.

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

Here are my BIOS settings as per suggestions on this board:

CAS Latency Time 2.0

ACT to Precharge Delay 6

DRAM To RAS to CAS Delay 3

DRAM To RAS to precharge 2

DDR SDRAM Voltage 2.7

Abit IS7 with newest BIOS updates

P4 3.0c w/ 800Mhz FSB w/ all CPU settings set at defaults

Performance settings all set at default as well.

• Corsair Employees
Well I don’t see anything that should present a problem, but using 2 different sets of memory and having the same problem would suggest it's not a memory problem. Have you tested the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org? And you stated that you had a problem with "WMP10" what is that? And have you tried this applications/game forum to see if there any updates that need to be installed? And are you having any problems with any other applications? You might also try and remove the Creative Sound card and see if the problem is still present.

WMP10 is Windows Media Player 10. I ran Memtest with both sticks in and there were thousands of problems shown with the second stick. I'm now running with just the stick the 1st slot and it's running fine. I'll do another test switching the seemingly faulty memory into memory bank 1 and see what turns up.

Hopefully it is something that I can fix with updates, but I have updated everything I can think of. I'll look into your other suggestions. Thanks.

• Corsair Employees
Were these modules replaced by us or your reseller? If your reseller replaced them I would suggest we try replacing them directly. If you got them from us, please call our tech support at 888-222-4346 and choose option "2" and we will help you get them replaced.

Thanks again for your reply. I ran the PC all last night with just 1 stick in memory slot 1 and not once did it freeze up. So I ran more tests using memory slots 1 and 3 (matching pair):

Test 1

--Stick 1 in Slot 1 : No Errors

Test 2

--Stick 1 in Slot 3 : No Errors

Test 3

--Stick 2 in Slot 1 : No Errors

Test 4

--Stick 2 in Slot 3 : No Errors

Test 5

--Stick 1, Slot 1/Stick 2, Slot 3 : No Errors

Test 6

--Stick 1, Slot 3/Stick 2, Slot 1 : No Errors

Odd, as just the other day with both sticks I got tons of errors, yet I have made no changes to the BIOS or updated any files.

I'll be running the PC overnight again playing WMP10 to see what turns up and hopefully it's fixed. These were replaced by Corsair which is why I find it odd that I got errors the other day.

Any other tests you think I can run to ensure everything's stable? Just wanted your opinion in case I overlooked something. Hopefully it is resolved.

I've just about had it with this. As far as I know, it's not the RAM. I keep running MemTest after crashes and it comes up fine. But I still get freezing and a couple of occasions now, it just reboots. I've checked the sound card. Updated drivers for those tried closing Antivirus programs in the background and every other thing I can think of and still no changes.

Is there a program that tracks what happens during a reboot/crash so I can track down exactly what's causing all of this? It's really irritating. This has been far too much time spent trying to figure out what's wrong and I don't know what else to do.

Well, thanks for that. Unfortunately, the Event Log doesn't really show much from what I can tell. When I get a freeze/skip there doesn't seem to be an event occuring in the same time frame in the event log. All I can do is reset the machine and that's the only one that comes up around the time of the freeze. I guess I'll have to have a PC tech look at this. Frustrating.

I've had my share of PC troubleshooting but am no expert.

Bios updated?

Chipset drivers updated?

Video and Lan drivers updated

Audio drivers updated?

Any other drivers updated?

If it runs the hardware test (ie, MemTest), and passes.....

Take a look on your mainboard, and look at the electrolytic capacitors. Any bulging on top or split? I've had boards from ABIT (notorious for using underspec capacitors), ASUS, SuperMicro... all have bad capacitors. If the board has a way to slow down the bus speed, try it. If its capactors, that will usually get it running... for a while. And, if they're not bulging or split, they're probably "ok". A visual check will tell you. We tend to leave PC's on 24/7 here, and are lucky to get a year from any other make than INTEL. Intel has its problems too, but seems the most reliable for constant on, and actually running something, operation. (ie, not just sitting idle).

Also, check capacitors on video card - lots of cards have problems there too.

I'm gonna brag a bit, and say, for the $5-10 it take to buy the parts, and an hour to replace 'em, thats what I've been doing on older (1year+) boards. If you or someone you know is used to working on through hole boards, its not too hard to do, even without a PACE desoldering machine.

• Corsair Employees
I would maybe see if a friend can help you test the CPU and memory in another system, if you still have not resolved the problem. In additon, I have no problem replacing your modules if you want to try that. But what you have posted so far would suggest some other problem, MB, PSU, or CPU.

Archived