Corsair Community

Help! VS1GBKIT400 running at 333MHz, not 400

poind

I have a Dell Dimension 8300 (Intel 875P) that was previously running its original 512MB RAM (PC3200, 2x256) at 400MHz without a problem.

Purchased Corsair VS1GBKIT400 and installed the 2x512MB modules appropriately in a matched pair along with the original RAM as its own matched pair.

System memory speed now reports as 333MHz in my BIOS, no longer 400MHz, though all RAM is recognized at least.

Is this a problem with the RAM, or is there something else I should be doing so all reports as 400MHz ???

I have confirmed the installed modules are correctly matched with their "twins", and ran the first several test passes of memtest with no errors.

Run the VS by themselves.

Thank you. :):

That does make the Corsair show as 400MHz, but then I'm effectively out my prior 512MB of RAM.

Given that everything involved is PC3200/400Mhz (supposedly) and I was installing in matched pairs, is there some way to avoid this issue when purchasing in the future? :confused:

All I'm looking for is a one line answer like "cas latency incompatibility" or I don't know what that I can look into elsewhere....Thanks in advance....

mixing brands and revisions of RAM is a iffy proposition, is there any way to set things manually?

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately my BIOS has pretty much nothing I can set manually re RAM.

Didn't know that RAM could be *quite* so touchy, and never had problems prior with such things.

Now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that if I buy more Corsair (same model, etc.) in the future the new stuff will be okay with the current stuff.

Still a bummer my "upgrade" was only half as effective as I thought it would be. Many thanks in advance to anyone with more thoughts as to how to make everything play nice together.... :confused:

• Corsair Employees

While I understand your feeling this is a chipset limitation, not a module issue.

However, we have our System Select line of modules that should be compatible with the modules that came with your system.

While I understand your feeling this is a chipset limitation, not a module issue.

However, we have our System Select line of modules that should be compatible with the modules that came with your system.

Many thanks for the tip. When I looked up compatibility, I thought the kit showed it would work with Intel i875p (but now see under Dimension 8300 specifically it doesn't show).

Am I safe in, say, adding more Corsair VS RAM then in the future? I am very happy right now with how things are running with the Corsair by itself, and if it was simply a conflict with the Dell stock RAM, I'd be looking to add even more Corsair sometime soon.... (??)

Well if you are planning on adding more memory I would match all of the modules for best performance. So I would get the modules ASAP so there is a better chnace they all match.

Will do. Many thanks for your help. :)

No problem, please let us know how you make out!

Whelp, a second kit identical to the first is now zipping happily alongside without any apparent issues.

*Just* a thought, but Corsair may want to state in its compatibility listings that these do work just fine with things like Dell (at least the Dimension 8300) as long as they're simply not installed alongside Dell's own RAM.

Personally, I think I'm readily seeing why this kit seems to be so popular and highly rated various places, as performance has certainly improved beyond expectations.

Many many thanks for all replies and assistance. I'm quite happy with how things are ultimately running right now.... :)

• 1 month later...

Poind,

It seems like you were successful in having 2 of the Corsair kits (total 4 DIMMs) installed in your Dim8300 and also running at 400Mhz. I, myself, just installed the VS1GBKIT400 kit with my original Dell RAM and found that the memory was now running at 333Mhz. This morning I googled to find:

http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_upghw&message.id=20290

Although a dated forum, they claim that Dell's BIOS prevents 4 DIMM modules from running at 400Mhz, but yet you are achieving this (or am I mistaken?).

Thanks,

Ahsan

Depending on the chipset/memory controller and bios of the motherboard, it will try to run the ram at the highest clock speed it can. If the sticks are all different it won't be able to run in dual channel. If there are two sets of matched pairs but the pairs are mismatched, the board/chipset will downstep the clock to an effective 333 or 266mhz to run the sticks in dual channel mode. If all four sticks match (model and revision), then it will try to run at 400mhz in dual channel mode. This is dependent on which motherboard/chipset/memory controller you have and is not clearly documented or not documented correctly in any motherboard/processor manuals I'm aware of.

ps: this is why it's always a good idea to either get all of your ram at the same time or as soon as you can, running in dual channel at the highest clock speeds is very very picky about matching ram sticks as to model and revision.

Archived