Corsair Community

All USB ports stopped functioning after iCUE installation

pricehl04

I was installing the iCUE software (as I've recently purchased the HS60 headset) and restarted my PC when prompted, but when it restarted all of my USB ports ceased to properly function. I've tried every port. My keyboard and mouse light up and devices charge off of them, but the keyboard and mouse don't function as if they're plugged into a PC nor do other devices. It seems to be a driver issue. KB/M don't work in BIOS either, and I've restarted multiple times. I strongly feel this has something to do with the software, as it would a big coincidence for it to stop working out of nowhere. I can't interact with my PC other than the power and restart button, and I have no ps/2 peripherals, so until the USB ports start working it's a brick. Sorry if this is the wrong place, and if so redirect me. Thanks.

If it was a driver issue, you should still be able to access windows safe mode to uninstall the drivers ( https://neosmart.net/wiki/safe-mode/#Safe_Mode_in_Windows_8_81_and_Windows_10 )

However, since you mention your mouse/keyboard don't work even in BIOS this is unlikely to be because of the driver problem as windows drivers are not loaded in BIOS environment; The drivers are stored on the hard drive and BIOS is able to be accessed with hard drive disconnected from motherboard.

If you're comfortable with opening your PC case:

Reset BIOS by removing/reseating CMOS battery ( https://neosmart.net/wiki/reset-bios-cmos/#Method_3_Replace_the_CMOS_battery )

Basically how I do that:

1. Touch a metal part of your PC case to get rid of static electricity

2. Disconnect computer power supply from the wall

3. Press PC case power button couple of times (my motherboards LEDs are powered on until I do this)

4. I use plastic tweezers to get the CMOS battery out of its socket, then wait for a few minutes

5. Re-seat the CMOS battery back into the socket

6. Your BIOS is now in default settings (you'll have to set computer time + BIOS settings like boot device priorities again)

If that didn't work:

Have you opened your PC recently, maybe to install new hardware? Maybe there is a loose cable connection?

Edited by NettiWelho

Grab a flashlight and check that none of the USB ports have foreign objects inside them possibly bridging the connectors

If you got a spare PSU around trying with that wouldn't hurt. Besides that, if you're within your warranty period I might consider invoking that if I were you.

Edited by NettiWelho

• Corsair Employees

Could've been your motherboard's USB ports shorted out because of a faulty USB controller. I mean, it COULD be iCUE's USB driver just catastrophically failing to install, but the above^^^poster is correct, that wouldn't affect your BIOS environment.

Are you using a Corsair keyboard? If it's a K70, set the switch on the back to BIOS mode and see if it allows BIOS access then. If a different Corsair keyboard, press the F1 and Windows Lock key to switch into BIOS mode.