Corsair Community

H150i PRO RGB push/pull & rgb question

djmarks

Hi all. First off, I'd like to say thanks to all the posters on here- I've learnt so much already. Fantastic site!!!!

But I'd just like to clarify a few things if possible. I've the H150i pro currently running as exhaust with fans blowing through radiator out the top of pc. 2 x ml140mm fans as intake on front of pc and 1 ml140mm as exhaust blowing out the back of pc.

I am contemplating getting the commander pro as I'm upgrading my memory to the dominator platinum and using the memory cooler on it. I'm assuming I can connect the cooler to commander pro? Also will probably connect case fans to the commander.

How does that sound so far?

I'm thinking of changing the config by adding 3 ml120mm rgb fans to push in from top through rad with the original 3 ml120mm pulling.

- If I use a y-splitter to connect all 6 fans to the pump, will icue/link be able to control the rgb functions on the new fans or will I need to keep the rgb fans seperate and use commander pro and lightning node pro to deal with them? Only reason I'm thinking of using y-splitter is that I think it'll be easier for the fans to be in sync.

You can connect the H150i PRO to the Commander Pro (CoPro). No problem.

I would caution against connecting 6 fans with y-splitters to the cooler. There's a risk of overloading the power draw. See the Liquid Cooler FAQ for details. And RGB functions are independent of the power connection.

Thanks for the response devbiker!!

I have read (and re-read) the liquid cooler faq - awesome info!

Quote "So if your push/pull set up is less then 1.55A, you should be good to go".

According to corsairs techspecs, the ml120mm fans are 0.225A each so at 6 x 0.225 = 1.35 it scrapes in.

What Im worried about is if I connect the 3 pull fans to the pump and the 3 push fans to the commander pro, will they be able to sync up well enough to be an effective push/pull scenario?

And can I connect the dominator memory cooler to the commander pro too?

Edit - just seen that the ML120pro (non-rgb) has an airflow of 75 cfm, and the rgb verion has airflow of 47.3cfm. Will the 2 different airflows have any impact on the push/pull?

Edited by djmarks

If you connect them to the CoPro, you can sync them up. You could use the cooler temp directly or, if you want hardware control, you can put a temp sensor in the exhaust. That will be very close to the coolant temperature.

As long as you keep the speeds the same on the two different fans, you'll be OK for push pull. At the same fan speeds, they perform the same.

If you connect them to the CoPro, you can sync them up. You could use the cooler temp directly or, if you want hardware control, you can put a temp sensor in the exhaust. That will be very close to the coolant temperature.

As long as you keep the speeds the same on the two different fans, you'll be OK for push pull. At the same fan speeds, they perform the same.

Can I keep the original 3 fans connected to the pump and the 3 new fans connected to copro and still keep them in sync?

Thanks for all your help and advice btw!! Greatly appreciated!

Yes, the control curves will be in different places (H150i tab and C-Pro tab), but you can set the same speeds and use coolant temperature as the control source in the Commander Pro. That requires the software to be running. If you want to ensure it works even when the software is not running, then use the temp probe behind the radiator as suggested above. Exhaust air temp will equal coolant temp within 1C or so. The fan speeds do not need to be perfectly matched. It is irrelevant until you get a several hundred RPM difference.

Yes, the control curves will be in different places (H150i tab and C-Pro tab), but you can set the same speeds and use coolant temperature as the control source in the Commander Pro. That requires the software to be running. If you want to ensure it works even when the software is not running, then use the temp probe behind the radiator as suggested above. Exhaust air temp will equal coolant temp within 1C or so. The fan speeds do not need to be perfectly matched. It is irrelevant until you get a several hundred RPM difference.

Cheers c-attack!

Can you be a bit more specific as to where the temp probe should be located? I'll be sandwiching the radiator between 2 rows of fans. Should the probe go where the exhaust fans are going to blow onto it or physically stick it to the actual radiator?

It needs to be on the exhaust side. That can be the after the second set of fans (likely making it visible) or against the radiator between it and the fans. You are trying measure exit air temp, so it does not need to touch. However, you dont want it wrapped in the fan blade either. If you sandwich it between the radiator and fan, you don’t have to drag it into the center or tape it down. The tape could affect efficiency and too much wire is asking for trouble. Just get the sensor poking out from the edge. The difference between peripheral air temp and center is nil to maybe 0.5C. Regardless, it is consistent and thus achieves the desired effect.

It needs to be on the exhaust side. That can be the after the second set of fans (likely making it visible) or against the radiator between it and the fans. You are trying measure exit air temp, so it does not need to touch. However, you dont want it wrapped in the fan blade either. If you sandwich it between the radiator and fan, you don’t have to drag it into the center or tape it down. The tape could affect efficiency and too much wire is asking for trouble. Just get the sensor poking out from the edge. The difference between peripheral air temp and center is nil to maybe 0.5C. Regardless, it is consistent and thus achieves the desired effect.

Fantastic!! Thank you for your help!!