Corsair Community

iCUE high cpu usage

Dkenan

Hi All,

First of all, my specs are:

Maximus XI Formula, 9600k, 16gb Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz, 500gb ssd, MSI 1080Ti.

I had an issue, where Lightningsevice from Aura was taking 30% of CPU, I solved it by opening the app, and selecting a static color - now it's at 0-1% but stays idle most of the time, just the way i want it.

When I changed this color to static, the RAM module also got the color, so Aura is controling my RAM, not sure how or why.

The issue now is, that when Lightningservice went down, iCUE went berserk, and is using 10-20% of CPU constantly.

I have 1 lightningnode pro, with 7 Fans attached to it, 4 140 LL's and 3ML's. ALl are attached to a separate lightning chanel, I did not mix them.

I also have NZXT Cam, for my hue+ and x62 AIO, and that works perfectly, without a single issue.

More specs:

Manufacturer Product SerialNumber Version

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG MAXIMUS XI FORMULA 180935724700676 Rev 1.xx

BIOS/FW Version 0703 – latest downloaded from mobo support page

CPU: Intel 9600k

Memory: 2x8GB Corsair Vengance RGB

HDD: 500GB 970 Evo NVME

VGA: MSI 1080ti 11G

Power Supply: Thermaltake 850 iRGB Platinum Toughpower

OS Version: Windows 10 Pro , ver. 1809

Related Driver(s): All the latest drivers for everything in my system.

I tried :

Reinstalling iCUE

Selecting different colors for my fans

Selecting no light for my fans

NOTHING helped, still going off with high CPU usage.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you kindly,

Regards,

Kenan

Hi All,

First of all, my specs are:

Maximus XI Formula, 9600k, 16gb Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz, 500gb ssd, MSI 1080Ti.

I had an issue, where Lightningsevice from Aura was taking 30% of CPU, I solved it by opening the app, and selecting a static color - now it's at 0-1% but stays idle most of the time, just the way i want it.

When I changed this color to static, the RAM module also got the color, so Aura is controling my RAM, not sure how or why.

The issue now is, that when Lightningservice went down, iCUE went berserk, and is using 10-20% of CPU constantly.

I have 1 lightningnode pro, with 7 Fans attached to it, 4 140 LL's and 3ML's. ALl are attached to a separate lightning chanel, I did not mix them.

I also have NZXT Cam, for my hue+ and x62 AIO, and that works perfectly, without a single issue.

More specs:

Manufacturer Product SerialNumber Version

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG MAXIMUS XI FORMULA 180935724700676 Rev 1.xx

BIOS/FW Version 0703 – latest downloaded from mobo support page

CPU: Intel 9600k

Memory: 2x8GB Corsair Vengance RGB

HDD: 500GB 970 Evo NVME

VGA: MSI 1080ti 11G

Power Supply: Thermaltake 850 iRGB Platinum Toughpower

OS Version: Windows 10 Pro , ver. 1809

Related Driver(s): All the latest drivers for everything in my system.

I tried :

Reinstalling iCUE

Selecting different colors for my fans

Selecting no light for my fans

NOTHING helped, still going off with high CPU usage.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you kindly,

Regards,

Kenan

Do you have the RGB Pro RAM or the older style?

The solution you mentioned in the PM to me is no longer applicable, it was a bug in the first public release and was fixed a long time ago. I do not have a Asus board though the RAM is controlled using the SMBus, which has some limitations itself. Aura might be fighting for control over the RAM from iCUE.

Corsair does have an option for the RAM for "software control", it allows better control of the RAM, though at the cost of higher CPU utilization. I don't really recommend using software mode, unless you have a lot of threads 8+. I had an 8600K and software mode consumed a lot of resources, it is a lot less with my 9900K. I would see if this setting is indeed disabled. The CPU usage is a limitation of the SMBus and not iCUE. The only other way would they could allow for the software control would be to use some wireless technology to transmit the data or having a cable for each DIMM.

Steps I would take:

1) Disable Software more and see if that fixes it

2) Uninstall Aura to see if that fixes the issue.

Lastly I would avoid using Aura for now, due to the security vulnerability that they need to address: https://www.secureauth.com/labs/advisories/asus-drivers-elevation-privilege-vulnerabilities

Good Luck!

-Solarity

Thank you for your reply.

I dont have the option "enable or disable software control" in my iCUE. Nothing like that shows under settings/devices.

If I remove Aura, my board led's and my 2 OLED screens wont work, because LiveDash requires Aura to work...

:/

Edit:

I have Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz RGB, not pro.