Corsair Community

sudden overheating

snapper69

I have been using my current system for just over 2 years, it includes a Core i5 6600K, overclocked to 4.4 GHz and cooled by an H110i GT. The temps have been low to mid 20's at idle and max of 55 when gaming.

This morning, it shut down and when I tried to reboot it, I got a red light on the motherboard (for the cpu) and a warning that it was over temp. I eventually got into the bios and saw that the temp was 89C. I then downclocked it to 3600 GHz which dropped the temp below 80 and enabled me to get into Windows.

I started Link and the temps were:

Core 2 -62

Core 3 -63

Core 4 -58

Core 5 -55

Package -63

Load 20%

H110iGT

Temp 62.2

Pump 3197 rpm

Fan 1 -1129

Fan2 -1126

These temps are with the pump on performance and the fans set to my own curve. Nothing has changed in the system so could anyone suggest a cause? Playing around suggests to me that either the pump is on its way out or there's a blockage in the rad.

Hi Snapper. That doesn't look good. Given the sudden change, it is most likely a mechanical since you still have a pump reading. At 62C coolant temp, you are pretty much handcuffed and will be sitting at those temps at idle with a browser opening taking you to 80-90C. Contact Corsair through the usual channel or go shopping. Sorry.

Thanks for that, when I saw that the coolant was the same as the cores I figured that it was toast. Luckily, it's still within warranty. Even more luckily, I'm part way through a new build, using a Ryzen 2700X, cooled by a H100i Hydro PRO RGB.

Yesterday I used the current computer to play a game and the temp stayed at about 70 C, so hopefully it will be ok until I get to the stage in my new build where I have to start pulling bits out of my current build (drives and gpu).

Hey Snapper, if that PC has been sitting idle for weeks, maybe try the shake and replace to jostle things a little (or cycle the pump low/high/low/high and some case tilting). That is not a common issue on the H110i, but it can happen to any cooler. Not really a permanent solution if it does work, but it might buy you a little more time. 62C is pretty high though. Keep an eye on it.

I've been using the old one while I gradually build the new one, new case, new motherboard, new psu and new cooler. I've been doing it a bit at a time, due to other commitments, until it's at the stage where I need to start dismantling the old one for drives, gpu, fans etc.

Building it into the new case (Define R6) is proving to be a bit of a challenge after my 900D.

Still, I may turn the old one off tonight and give it a bit of a shake, that is if I can lift it:biggrin:

Lol. I forgot what case you were in. Go ahead... pick up that 900D and shake it!

If you have been using it, it is unlikely to be a blockage. This would have been building up over time and I am pretty sure you would have noticed. Fine yesterday and hot today normal means some kind of component failure.

Gave it a shake, no luck. Looks like I will have to accelerate the timetable for building the new one.

Created a ticket on Saturday and the RMA was approved today (Tuesday). It would probably have been quicker except that for some reason my receipt and screenshot of Link didn't go in with the original ticket. Many thanks to Corsair for their excellent service.

I'm currently using a pair of ML 140 LED fans on this cooler and the original fans are in a cupboard along with quite a few other corsair fans. Can anyone tell me how to identify the original fans that came with the H110i GT so that I can return them with the cooler?

Archived