Corsair Community

K70 Low Profile Rapidfire Impressions from a K65 RGB LUX owner.

vulcan78

I purchased this from Best Buy as it's currently on sale and I was really eager to try the low profile and rapidfire keys. Coming from a K65, I knew that I would be going back to a 10 key footprint but was curious enough to disregard that negative aspect to the K70. My first keyboard was a K70 at 5'10", I never found the long footprint of that keyboard conducive to an ergonomic experience as you need to hold your hands really far apart unless you have a high sensitivity mouse and don't move it more than one or two inches in terms of sweep area.

My first impression with the keyboard was how beautiful it looked, even though the current version of CUE didn't recognize it and it had the spiral rainbow effect. The RGB is considerably smoother than that of the K65 RGB LUX, that's for sure. The feel of the keys is a different matter. They feel almost membrane like but as though they don't have as much rebound energy, even compared to membrane. I assume that is a tradeoff with either the new low profile rapidfire switches or the fact that actuation distance is only 1.2mm. Less energy to actuate = less rebound energy. Not sure here, I am definitely not a keyboard expert.

Then I tried to invert the spacebar, as I have had to do with both my original K70 and K65 as the angle of the spacebar, it's as though when you use your thumb to actuate the spacebar without it inverted it's like using the side of your thumb on a pyramid / pointed edge, and all of that energy, it's like a martial arts pressure point making the spacebar feel like a Chinese torture device.

This is a well known problem with all Corsair keyboards:

Unfortunately, you can't invert the spacebar on K70 M.2 Low Profile. You can manage to invert it but it won't actuate, something to do with the alignment.

And finally, the last impression was, yep, once you go TKL, there is absolutely no going back to a 10 Key footprint. I fired up Destiny 2 (it could have been Doom 1 and 2 with Brutal Doom mod, the point here is that I wanted to play an FPS with the mouse to see how much I didn't miss my original K70) and found that I was hitting the right side of the keyboard with the mouse immediately, I tried spacing out my hands a little more and immediately remembered how much I didn't like having to do this with the K70. I mean, maybe if youre 6'5"+ and have arms the length of a basketball player you can use a K70 / K95 / any 10 key keyboard? That there is one additional row to the right of the numerical pad amounting to two keys: + and -, add insult to injury in this regard.

Like, I do NOT miss the num pad, not in the slightest. The handful of times I need to input numbers with my keyboard, I can easily do that with the num / special character keys above the first row.

I don't know how Corsair not only managed to release a low profile variant of the K70 before a low profile variant of the K65 and also make it so that we can no longer invert the spacebar.

I'm leaving all of this feedback here because the two aforementioned aspects of Corsair keyboards, that the K65 is vastly superior in terms of ergonomics, comfort and a gaming experience (the increase in mouse sweep area) and that everyone who has been around Corsair boards is inverting their spacebar, I mean, how could the people designing these boards for Corsair be unaware of this?

Please redesign your spacebar, right now it is a Chinese torture device to use, and please reconsider prioritizing the K70 over the TKL K65 for iterative product improvement. THIS IS A GAMING KEYBOARD for crying out loud, anyone using this who is doing a lot of gaming is going to opt for the TKL K65.

Final score and verdict:

6 out of 10, the reduced rebound energy of the low profile keys makes them uncomfortable to type with and less tactile compared to traditional reds combined with the large footprint and loss of the ability to invert the spacebar makes this only a product for those who want less tactile, responsive typing and less of a mouse sweep area whilst simultaneously inducing painful pressure point activation via the spacebar. An otherwise beautiful keyboard. I'm boxing it back up and taking advantage of Best Buy's 14 day return policy.

Edited by vulcan78

I'm shorter, wide shoulders, and absolutely love the K70 MK2 low profile, but only ever use full sized keyboards the familiarity remains for play and work, where the 10 key is necessity for me. I also don't notice the edge on the spacebar key any more than on any other keyboard I currently use, basically never since I'm not pressing the edge. I do quite a bit of wrenching and have thick skin on the fingers which gives a bit less feeling I guess.

I'm shorter, wide shoulders, and absolutely love the K70 MK2 low profile, but only ever use full sized keyboards the familiarity remains for play and work, where the 10 key is necessity for me. I also don't notice the edge on the spacebar key any more than on any other keyboard I currently use, basically never since I'm not pressing the edge. I do quite a bit of wrenching and have thick skin on the fingers which gives a bit less feeling I guess.

Your shoulders are probably a bit wider than mine. If I place my hands on the desk in line with my shoulders that puts my left hand on WASD and my right hand in the middle of my mouse pad with equidistant sweep area left and right whereas with K70 the num pad completely eats into the mouse pad sweep area and I have to position my hands much wider than shoulder width apart which contributes to discomfort and fatigue pretty quickly.

Problem one, I have to move the keyboard to left about 5 inches, and now to activate WASD my left wrist must contort to the right in an unnatural manner, leading to wrist fatigue first, then shoulder fatigue, and then lower back fatigue as I must maintain perfect upright posture to have my hands positioned wider than shoulder width apart whereas with the K65 I can alternate between sitting perfectly upright and a semi-slouch without discomfort or fatigue.

It's actually a pretty big deal, I don't know how people can use a 10 key keyboard. I couldn't believe the relief when I upgraded from K70 to K65.

Edited by vulcan78

Just watched this, great summation of my previous comment:

[ame]

[/ame]

Update:

Wanting to give this board a second chance I am using it again this morning but am now having the problem where CUE can't recognize the device, even though CUE has been updated and I've restarted the PC. I've also tried different USB ports.

Spending more time with this board this morning I am adjusting the score from 6 to 8 out of 10. Where it loses a few points for the loss of mouse sweep area and Chinese torture device feeling spacebar that cannot be inverted it gains quite a few in terms of keystroke quality, the keys kind of feel like reds with o-rings in terms of sound, feel and travel distance, but better.

I love how low this board sits on the desk, it is much more comfortable to type with than the K65 RGB LUX

With my lower arms parallel, shoulders in their relaxed position and left hand on WASD, I am centered at about the left third of the numpad 0 key and the edge of my thumb when on the mouse is 4 inches / 10 cm from the right side of the keyboard. With mouse cpi at 1600 for desktop and most games use I don't hit the keyboard. The K70 is 17.5" wide, the standard size of full size keyboards, the same as my Logitech Orion and Ducky One. A gel type wrist wrest in place of the wrest that came with the K70 may help with the spacebar problem. I use a Kensington ErgoSoft wrist wrest for my Ducky and Orion as they didn't include wrist wrests and it is quite comfortable.