Corsair Community

Issues With Icue

STOPchris

My main issue is that I am unable to select a temperature sensor outside of the H110IGTX when setting a custom fan profile for the CPU cooler fans in Icue. If I connect it through my motherboard, I can. Am I missing something, or should I just send the commander PRO back and hook these fans up to the motherboard?

Other issues:

You can only use one sensor source for when fans turn on, or adjust speed. If fans are meant to cool when devices need them, and the commander pro is supposed to be better than a motherboard, shouldn't it have this functionality (if the CPU goes over XYZ do this, if the GPU goes over XYZ do this)?

The profiles that I have saved to my K70 do not really work. All of the lights work fine, but the fans stop all the way and then only wake when I start Icue.

Overall, I am feeling that the commander pro is unreliable and might return it soon if I cannot find a satisfactory resolution to these issues. I need reliable software/hardware when it comes to system cooling. I have not been getting anything reliable from Corsair's software/hardware so far with my new Commander Pro and Icue.

Edited by STOPchris

Your main issue is a limitation of that particular cooler, not a bug in iCUE. Unfortunately, that's just how that particular cooler was designed. AFAIK, that's the only cooler in Corsair's line that operates that way.

iCUE doesn't support multiple sources. What it does support and what does work very well is temperature sensors that you can place where you need them. Now, on a liquid cooled system, the CPU temperature really isn't a good source for your case fans (CPU heat doesn't impact internal system temperature) ... the GPU is a good option (assuming that it's not water cooled) or, again, the temperature sensors.

Profile saved to the K70 only operate on the K70. The K70 hardware profiles don't have any impact on any other part of the system. It seems that you think that they would ... but they don't.

The Commander Pro is reliable but you have to use it within its design parameters. It's like you're saying that a Maserati isn't a good car because it you can't take it out on a lake. Well, that's not what a Maserati is designed for. The ability to easily control temps from within Windows and to base the fan speeds on something other than CPU temperature is pretty key in a liquid cooled system. It can give you very precise (and easily changeable) control over your system cooling and noise. Personally, I have a CoPro in 3 different systems and, in all of them, I use the temperature sensors that come with the CoPro to get precise cooling exactly and only when I need it.

Your main issue is a limitation of that particular cooler, not a bug in iCUE. Unfortunately, that's just how that particular cooler was designed. AFAIK, that's the only cooler in Corsair's line that operates that way.

iCUE doesn't support multiple sources. What it does support and what does work very well is temperature sensors that you can place where you need them. Now, on a liquid cooled system, the CPU temperature really isn't a good source for your case fans (CPU heat doesn't impact internal system temperature) ... the GPU is a good option (assuming that it's not water cooled) or, again, the temperature sensors.

Profile saved to the K70 only operate on the K70. The K70 hardware profiles don't have any impact on any other part of the system. It seems that you think that they would ... but they don't.

The Commander Pro is reliable but you have to use it within its design parameters. It's like you're saying that a Maserati isn't a good car because it you can't take it out on a lake. Well, that's not what a Maserati is designed for. The ability to easily control temps from within Windows and to base the fan speeds on something other than CPU temperature is pretty key in a liquid cooled system. It can give you very precise (and easily changeable) control over your system cooling and noise. Personally, I have a CoPro in 3 different systems and, in all of them, I use the temperature sensors that come with the CoPro to get precise cooling exactly and only when I need it.

It seems like the cooler is the problem then. Also, I'll try the sensors. The K70 profiles do seem to work with other aspects of the system, as the fan profiles will also change when I change the keyboard profile. The problem is that doesn't work in a reliable manner for me.

It'll change on a software profile (when iCUE is running), not on a hardware profile. Depending on the Keyboard, you'll able to change the software profile from the keyboard (my K95 does this, for example) ... but that's still a software profile.

OK, even if so, then it still is not working correctly. The fans stop all the way when booting into Windows, like they should based on the profile, but when the GPU goes over 35 they do not always startup like they should. Unreliable at best. I know that you enjoy your setup the way it is, but everything that I said in my original post, I hoped to accomplish with this product. Unfortunately, it is failing at those items for me.