Corsair Community

h150i & static pressure for exhaust

alFrame

Hi folks! I am on a new build, first since about 9 years when things were easier.

The case is the Phantkes Evolv X. The exhaust on the top is a bit blocked.

- I am planning to put the h150i on the front with pull for easier dust removal (dusty environment, old farm house...)

- Then I will put the three 140 mm (Phanteks 140 mp SP-fans) as exhaust. 2 on top, one in the back.

I realize that those are all SP-fans and I wonder if it will work, or if I should get AF-flow fans for exhaust? Or reverse the build and put the h150i on the top and use 2 of the 140's for intake in the front but still use the h150i fans for puss (dust...).

I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Generally speaking, you want to use the thin, raked airflow style (AF) fans whenever you can. They will move more air with less noise than the comparable wide, flat blade SP type fan. The SP type fans usually do better when faced with a moderate amount of resistance like a radiator or dust filter, while at low to moderate speeds. As the speed increases, the airflow fan be more efficient in overcoming the resistance. However, with the Evolv X, I am not sure either of those accurately describes the solid front and top panels. They are side or top/bottom vented. You won't be pushing air through the solid panel and it has to go out those vents. I don't think static pressure is going to me the metric that decides whether or not airflow can exit the case and I think you should decide along a different avenue.

Normally we can talk about front intake vs top exhaust and it really doesn't matter in terms of CPU temperature or overall case airflow. It will work either way. However, if dust is a serious consideration, then you may want to factor your dust prevention strategy into the set-up. You really don't want a dust filter on the front panel of a solid design case, with a full coverage radiator behind it. Your airflow is going to be terrible, even at high speeds. That is a lot of resistance (dust filter + radiator), but the solid panel is just too much. For your environment, you would be better off with the H150i as top exhaust (no filter) and the front intake with dust filter protection. This give you dust protection for the main intake, an easier radiator airflow throughput, and likely a small measure of positive intake bias to keep dust from floating in other places. The top panel is solid and should keep most dust out when it's not running. When on, the airflow will do that job. So back to front intake fans, I would probably go for the SP, unless the case has a decent sized (3-5mm) offset between the fan rail and the dust screen. The closer the mesh is to the blade, the more it is affected by the resistance. I would use an AF style fan for the rear exhaust since this will draw in waste heat from a wider conical area (GPU), but the world won't end if you use a wider blade.

Thank you c-attack! Reading through this forum a lot, I was actually also considering to go back to front intake by fans and the h150i on top as exhaust. I will try to set them up to pull tho', again for easier dust removal on the radiator. Plus doing that will enable me to use both hard disc cages in the bottom of the case.

Also, above all, I am determined to vacuum my office much more frequent :)

Whilst the front on the Evolv X is not like a lian li 011 air or a Cooler Master H500 mesh, I do believe that through the gaps on the side, it will be able to suck in quite some air. At least if the reviews I watched are right. The top is not as closed off as it seems as well. Off course also not as open as in real airflow cases. And yeah... both those statements of mine are based on assumption. I will know more when I actually have the case in front of me tomorrow.

I am a bit worried that the case comes with SP fans. My gut tells me that AF would be better, hence the name air flow... But maybe I am just lucky and the SP fans that come with the case are capable of fighting the resistance of the dust filter. Else I will switch to AF fans with RGB LED. Most likely corsair as I have also ordered a Commander Pro and by that, make my life easier in terms of RGB blitzel-funkel, ahhh...

Thanks again for your input. I will keep posting my successes, or failures and grow by learning. With the help of so many great advisors on here, this should be fun!

Yes, it is hard to be sure of anything until you physically have it. I also think the stock fans look a bit more like hybrids in between the two archetypes. That usually works better than the extreme ends.

As for push vs pull on the radiator, I fear you may have watched my least favorite video of all time. It’s total rubbish. It doesn’t matter which side you put the fans on. If there is dust in the case, some will exit through the top and stick to any charged surface it touches. It won’t stop on the bottom layer of the radiator. It’s going all up inside. It makes no difference for dust. Where it does make a difference is noise. Typically sandwiched between the radiator and case is slightly coarser in tone. I also seem to remember this coming up before with this case and the head to head test was about 2C cooler for push. I need to find the thread.