Corsair Community

Some fans don't spin, Lighting Node Pro not recognized, 1 fan lights don't work

alienwar9

I have had a bunch of problems trying to get everything working in my system with iCue. Some fans wouldn't work at all, then some rgb light strips wouldn't work, then the Vengeance Pro sticks had all kinds of problems. Eventually through brute force, some returns, and a lot of updating/reinstalling/rewiring and a ton of rebooting, most of those problems have been fixed.

But I still have 3 problems that I can't seem to get over:

1: one of my two HD140s does not light up. It used to, and at one point I plugged and unplugged it and got white light to work (but no other color, which makes absolutely zero sense). But now, nothing. I've tried restarting iCue, plugging/unplugging.

2: 2 of my 3 LL120s do not spin. They are recognized in iCue as plugged into the Commander Pro, but show as 0 RPM and do not ramp up. The third fan properly spins up, ramps, and stops as set in the profile. The 2 fans run off a PWM splitter cable, while the one working fan is also connected to a splitter cable but without any other fan on the split.

When I restart my PC the fans do spin up, but then stop. When I restart iCue, the fans get stuck spinning at the rate they start out and then no longer change. This problem is VERY inconsistent. Right now all 3 fans are spinning and ramping perfectly after I restarted the iCue service twice. Sometimes on a system reboot it works fine, and other times the 2 fans don't spin.

The default profile has them stop at idle temps.

3: I have a Lighting Node Pro with 2 sets of RGB strips in each port, connected to the USB port on the Commander Pro. iCue does not recognize it, and it doesn't even show up in USBDeview (only the Commander Pro, with 1b1c vendor ID). There are a couple other 1b1c devices shown as not plugged in *"USB Input Device").

It did show up when I plugged it into a standard USB A port (not mobo header), and it showed up once when I plugged it into the Commander Pro recently. I managed to set a favorable profile before I restarted my PC, at which point it stopped showing up in iCue.

Originally it worked fine (once I returned the RGB strips), but I had to rewire some things, and it no longer showed up in iCue. I also have a spare Lighting Node Pro, and that one doesn't work either.

The RGB strips light up and retain the last config, but I cannot access and thus change anything while the Lighting Node Pro is connected to the Commander Pro.

///

My current setup:

4 Corsair Vengeance Pro sticks

3 HD120s PWM directly into Commander Pro

2 HD140s PWM into 1 splitter into Commander Pro

1 LL120 PWM into 1 splitter into Commander Pro

2 LL120s PWM into 1 splitter into Commander Pro (all 6 PWM slots populated)

5 HD fans into 1 RGB hub into Commander Pro

3 LL fans into 1 RGB hub into Commander Pro

2 RGB light strips daisy chained into Lighting Node Pro

2 RGB light strips daisy chained into Lighting Node Pro

Lighting Node Pro USB into Commander Pro

Lighting Node Pro, Commander Pro, 2x RGB hubs all directly into Sata power cables to PSU.

Also have 3 digital RGB lights and 1 analog RGB light hooked up to mobo for RGBFusion control (ram was recognized in that program but thankfully any conflicts seem to be ironed out).

///

I realize it is a bit of a complicated setup, but I honestly didn't expect to fight through THIS MANY PROBLEMS. And these 3 are just the problems I haven't been able to find a solution to myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm at my wits end with this PC build and the nightmare it has been.

TL;DR - The RGB ram works, the 2 HD120s work, 1 HD140 works, and 1 LL120 works. 2 LL120s inconsistently fail to spin. 1 HD140 does not light up at all, ever. The Lighting Node Pro is not recognized in iCue and just lights up with the last profile that was set while plugged in to a USB A instead of the Commander Pro USB header.

Your setup really isn't that complicated, sorry. Lots of folks are running a good deal more RGB without any issue.

Your CoPro problem sounds like it may be a conflict. Are you running any other monitoring software? Also, have you tried to run the fans without the splitter?

For the HD fan, what happens if you switch ports on the RGB Fan Hub?

For the CoPro USB header - disable Fast Boot in the BIOS, enable XHCI handoff and also disable Wodows Fast Startup (https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup).

Gigabyte's SIV monitors CPU temps to manage the water pump speed, but I don't think there is a way around that unless I run the pump at a set speed on the potentiometer instead of PWM controlled. I'm not even sure how to turn off that monitoring though (it is in the BIOS too), and I really don't want to if I can avoid it, as I'd like to keep the ability to vary the pump speed. I'm not sure I want to try and run the pump off of iCue/CoPro either, given the problems and the risk that might be (is that even possible/advisable?).

The fans run fine, but there's a limited number of slots on the CoPro so I eventually have to use splitters. I've swapped the splitter cables, so I don't think it is the cable itself, and the same cable works for other fans. I can try and see if the problem exists when monitoring different temps, or plugged into a different PWM slot. But the problem is inconsistent even without changing things (sometimes it works, and the next boot up it doesn't, without me changing a single setting anywhere on my PC).

As for the CoPro header, I have Fast Boot and Windows Fast Startup disabled as well as XHCI handoff enabled. That's about as far as I got looking off of other threads.

I'll have to get back to you on switching the RGB fan hub port. It is a little hard to get to, and I assumed you had to just stick to the order (port 1, then 2, then 3, etc). I can try swapping port 4 and port 5 and see what happens. (The problem fan is on port 5).

Thanks for the help so far!

Update: I ended up having to boot into my secondary BIOS, with an older firmware revision (F2 on an X470 Gaming 7). This was due to running mbr2gpt on my system drive, which, together with a temporary fast-boot enabled, locked the first BIOS into a boot sequence that I can't get out of (I'd have to remove the m.2, and in order to do that, I have to remove the custom hard-line looped vertical GPU).

That somehow managed to fix the NoPro issue, and now iCue recognizes it.

Also so far I haven't noticed the 2 LL fans not spinning when they should. All 3 fans are in sync (the way they should be as I setup in their profile).

The HD light still doesn't work, however.

• 3 weeks later...

Another update: the 2 fans stopped working a few more times. But now that iCUE has gotten a software update, the fans consistently spin.

I also bought a new HD140 fan, plugged it into both slot 5 and 6 on the hub (with the old one on the other slot). The new fan does not light up either, so I'm thinking it is a faulty RGB LED fan hub.

That's going to require a lot of unpleasant rewiring, but I'm going to try and swap the hubs.

While it may be a fan hub, it is more likely the fan.

The fans operate in series ... they pass the control signal from one fan to the next to the next. So if a single fan is bad, it may not pass the control signal to the next fan. This can happen even if the fan lights up. That's what you need to look at.