Corsair Community

Help for my first custom loop (New 1000D Build)

Gemdiver

Hi All, long time lurker, first time poster. I'm in the early stages of planning my next build. I've built many air cooled/AiO cooled PCs before but this will be my first time with a custom liquid loop.

I'm still thinking if I should buy CPU/MB now or wait until Intel releases their 10nm chips towards the end of the year, but I have most the non-critical components already (missing MB, CPU, GPU, SSDs).

My case is a Corsair 1000D so capacity is not a problem (I recognize I could do this same CPU/GPU/RAM in a much cheaper and smaller case but I wanted the fun and challenge). Cost is also not a major concern and I don't mind spending more to get better solutions even if they're overkill. My priority for cooling is:

1. Adequate Cooling

2. Minimal Noise

3. Positive Air Pressure to prevent dust

4. Aesthetics

Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Formula or Aorus Xtreme Waterforce (or similar for intel's new socket in late 2019)

Case: 1000D

CPU: i9-9900K or i7-9700k (or 10nm equivalents if I wait until later in year)

GPU: 1x EVGA Hydrocopper FTW3 2080 Ti

PSU: Corsair AX1600i

RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro

Drives: 2x 1TB Samsung M.2. Maybe an Intel Optane.

Liquid Loop: EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM, EK Fittings, Hard Tubing. Waterblocks on CPU, GPU, and MOSFETs (waterblocks included with either listed MB)

Overclocking: Not planning on anything beyond what EVGA already does from the stock 2080Ti (but may consider some minor OC down the road). I realize spending extra for an i9-9900 and not overclocking is somewhat silly but don't mind.

My current plan for cooling is:

Rear: 2x LL120 Fans (Exhaust)

Top: Alphacool 420MM UT60 Radiator. 6x LL140 fans in Push/Pull (Exhaust)

Front (top): Alphacool 240MM UT60 Radiator. 4X LL120 in Push/Pull (Intake?)

Front (mid/bottom): 6x LL120 Fans (Intake)

I realize LL fans aren't great for radiators and SP or ML would be better from a cooling perspective. My hope and belief is with so much fan/radiator capacity in the 1000D, I can sacrifice some fan efficiency for aesthetics while maintaining adequate air flow.

Here is my dilemma coming from never doing a custom loop before: I want good airflow and positive pressure to help on dust build-up but a radiator set as an intake seems so counter-productive. Most the 1000D builds I see have 2 480MM radiators on the front but I see no mention of intake/exhaust. If they're intake, that seems like its pushing way too much hot air into the case. If they're exhaust, then it seems like you have huge negative pressure in the case creating dust problems over time.

My questions:

1) As described, do I have plenty of radiator capacity for cooling the loop?

2) If I changed the front to be 2 480mm push/pull radiators doing intake, is my case air temperature going to go out of control or would there be so much surface area that even after heat transfer, the air coming in would still be cool enough for the non-liquid cooled components ?

3) With this case and that internal build, how would you do cooling differently if the objective is keeping it quiet, cool, clean, and enough RGBs to light up a small city?

I plan to keep this PC at least 5 years so my goal is longevity of components and future proofing as much as possible. Thanks for helping this liquid cooling noob!

I've been asking very similar things over the past week or two, and this is what i've gathered.

First, the air coming into the case from the front intake rad would have almost no impact on ambient temps, and even if it did, your critical components aren't really going to suffer from that. Even if the top exhaust rad is pulling warmer air in from inside the case, it's only warmer by like 1c, so your overall cooling would be just fine.

I too was wondering about this, because it seemed that this didnt really make sense because my top rad would be getting fed with warmer ambient air than it would otherwise get from the outside, but the consensus is that this is a non issue.

What others have found is that with a top 240 exhaust and front 360 intake, the top exhaust will out compete your rear exhaust fans and actually pull air inward through them unless you really crank up those rear fans. Unclear if this is compounded or minimized with a top push pull.. I would think the latter since you'd be running at lower rpms.

You could actually do BOTH the top and front as intake and then exhaust out the back would probably be enough. With two rears, I don't think you'd have to worry much about cooking stuff.

Fwiw, i decided on top 240 exhaust, front 360 intake, 120 rear exhaust in a 500D

Edited by AP1916

Thanks for the quick response; I never would have realized that a big top exhaust could actually pull air in through the rear exhaust! I'm feeling more confident about switching the front to 2x480 intakes.

Really appreciate your insights!