Corsair Community

h150i randomly gets loud

Harry1203

I have the h150i pro, with 3 LL fans on push and the 3 ML fans on pull (the pull are connected to my commander pro). I also have 2 140LL fans on the top for exhaust and 1 120LL on the back for exhaust. While it is almost silent doing nothing, on small bits of load, like opening a program or rendering a very small scene, it gets super super loud. Maybe 70dB I'd say. I've set up quiet curves and everything, but I don't know why it goes so loud when under little bits of load. It's super annoying and it is usually only like 30c max when this happens. Does anyone know a solution? Thanks.

to add.. are you using CPU package as the Temp Source for your own Curves?.This would make the Fans react erratically.

while this is the way forward with air coolers..Not so with liquid cooler. its the liquid you are cooler.. its temp changes are much slower

So you would be best basing the curves off of the liquid cooler.. certainly the 3 on your commander pro that are in push/pull config with the H150i Fans anyways....

I have a similar set up in my 570x.. I base my exhuast fan off of the internal case temp using one of the commander pro's probes and the rest are based off of the cooler..

I also run a couple or profiles that are Fixed RPM.. all fans at 700 RPM seems to cover most situations while remaining reasonably quiet

Edited by Zotty

Yes I was trying the default profiles but went to the custom ones after. I always had the ones connected to the cooler on liquid temperature, but I didn't know the defualt on the premade curves was the CPU temp so I will change that to liquid temp too. That has helped quite a bit. Thanks very much, sorry I'm new to this lol.

Yes, the Commander Pro defaults to CPU temp like most other fan controllers and motherboards since that is the only thing every single system is guaranteed to have. Using coolant temp is a good choice for the case fans to help balance the exhaust(?) with what the front mounted H150i intake brings in. You an also use GPU temp from the drop down menu and that can be a separate curve for the rear exhaust if you have a fair amount of GPU load. You can make as many curves as you like and technically every fan could have it's own curve, although that is certainly not necessary. Down the road you can experiment with using the thermal probes on the Commander Pro to get specific location temperature changes, but for most people coolant and GPU temp control is going to do the job in a predicable way.

I'm wondering, is there any downside to using different fans in push/pull? Would it somehow interfere with eachother? Like he is, LL for push and ML for pull.

It can be challenging to balance them but as long as you're close, you should be good.

I'm wondering, is there any downside to using different fans in push/pull? Would it somehow interfere with eachother? Like he is, LL for push and ML for pull.

It depends on the control source. For example, the H150i controller will let you set fan speed based on % max. This means each fan with a different maximum will run a different speed at XX%. However, the Commander Pro will let you set it by % or specific RPM. Since you won't run all 6 fans off the H150i Pro and it is likely you will use the other set on the C-Pro, it should not be to difficult to match the C-Pro controlled set to the H150i. You will need to be methodical at some point at make yourself a table of what %=RPM for the H150i fans, then you can match the other set on the C-Pro.

Do they need to be exact? No. When you starting getting too far apart, you will get some weird sounds typically related to building pressure differences. However, the margin is usually about 200 rpm, so do you don't really need to be dialed in perfectly.