Corsair Community

Need some help with what I need to buy

Felix1

Hello

I'm planning on building a z390 system with a i9 9900k. to cool that beast I'm going to use a h150i.

I also want to make a push-pull config for that rad in a Lian Li pc o11 case. That leaves me with 6 fans. I'm also going to be filling the top and bottom (rad on the side) and have intake at the bottom and side and exhaust at the top. This means 6 fans at the side and 3 at the top and 3 at the bottom so 12 in total.

To spice the system up a bit I've decided to go with rgb corsair fans because they are just the best looking fans on the market (imo). I'm also going to use a rgb strip kit from corsair.

Now I'm wondering what fans I should go with and how I'm supposed to set them up(what I need). Does the LL120 work good for my plans or are there better alternatives for better cooling/noise levels?

I read that a corsair commander pro only supports 6 fans which means I need 2? Is there any better solution?

Also can I just buy a rgb lightning expansion kit and hook it up to the commander? Or do I need to buy the kit?

I appreciate all the help I can get, thank you.

Now I'm wondering what fans I should go with and how I'm supposed to set them up(what I need). Does the LL120 work good for my plans or are there better alternatives for better cooling/noise levels?

You should pick the one you feel is the most aesthetically pleasing. Differences in performance are slight to non-existent between the models and I don't even get 1C coolant difference on my 350W of Titan GPU when switching between the 3 models. The only thing to note about the LL is the back side of the fan will not show off the RGB ring. I don't see that as an obstacle for what you're doing.

I read that a corsair commander pro only supports 6 fans which means I need 2? Is there any better solution?

Correct. You would need two if you wanted iCUE software control over 12 fans. However, at least three can go on the H150i's fan controller taking it down to 9. With ML-RGB, you could probably put all 6 on the pump controller, but I would not suggest that for the 0.30A LL120. You will want the other radiator fans on a Commander Pro so you can make them run the same curve (or any other offset you like) as the pump controller set. That leaves three other fans that would either need to go to the mainboard or... another commander pro. Some people get away with splitting one or maybe two additional fans off the C-Pro, but it often leads to problems and I do not recommend it with 9 LL fans. I would probably be tempted to make this work with the motherboard first, before adding another C-Pro since it will not improve your utility, aside from making those 3 fan controllable from the desktop instead of the BIOS.

Also can I just buy a rgb lightning expansion kit and hook it up to the commander? Or do I need to buy the kit?

Yes, that is exactly what you want. The Expansion kit comes with the 4 strips, but also 4 extensions and you likely will want those for the 011. I found them to be super useful in getting things right where I wanted.

The LL120s comes in three packs and also as singles. You'll want to crunch the numbers, but you likely want at least two three packs in order to get 2 Lighting Node Pros (LNP). Each LNP or C-Pro has 2 LED channels. Each channel can accommodate up to 6 RGB fans (1 RGB Lighting Hub) or 4 RGB strips (80 LEDs in total). This means you need three RGB channels for the 12 + 4. However, if you buy 2 Commander Pros, then that's 4 and you technically don't need any LNPs and still have 1 channel to spare if you add more strips or heaven forbid, more fans. You may want to factor that cost analysis into the single vs 3 pack cost. If you only get one C-Pro, then you need as least 1 LNP, although it is sometimes nice to have a spare without paying $40 for it. Right now the cost of the LL120s is down, so this is a good time to buy (at least in the US), but there are several permutations you need to calculate.

Still read the thread linked above. There is a lot of little tedious obstacles in setting this stuff up. USB 2.0 headers are a common limitation, but thankfully the C-Pro provides 2 pass-throughs that work with any USB 2.0 device, regardless of brand.

You should pick the one you feel is the most aesthetically pleasing. Differences in performance are slight to non-existent between the models and I don't even get 1C coolant difference on my 350W of Titan GPU when switching between the 3 models. The only thing to note about the LL is the back side of the fan will not show off the RGB ring. I don't see that as an obstacle for what you're doing.

thank you this was very helpful, so I will buy 2x triple pack LL120, 6x single LL120, 2x commander pro, 1x rgb expansion kit.

How long are the cables on the fans? Do you think I need to buy extensions for the o-11 case?

Correct. You would need two if you wanted iCUE software control over 12 fans. However, at least three can go on the H150i's fan controller taking it down to 9. With ML-RGB, you could probably put all 6 on the pump controller, but I would not suggest that for the 0.30A LL120. You will want the other radiator fans on a Commander Pro so you can make them run the same curve (or any other offset you like) as the pump controller set. That leaves three other fans that would either need to go to the mainboard or... another commander pro. Some people get away with splitting one or maybe two additional fans off the C-Pro, but it often leads to problems and I do not recommend it with 9 LL fans. I would probably be tempted to make this work with the motherboard first, before adding another C-Pro since it will not improve your utility, aside from making those 3 fan controllable from the desktop instead of the BIOS.

Yes, that is exactly what you want. The Expansion kit comes with the 4 strips, but also 4 extensions and you likely will want those for the 011. I found them to be super useful in getting things right where I wanted.

The LL120s comes in three packs and also as singles. You'll want to crunch the numbers, but you likely want at least two three packs in order to get 2 Lighting Node Pros (LNP). Each LNP or C-Pro has 2 LED channels. Each channel can accommodate up to 6 RGB fans (1 RGB Lighting Hub) or 4 RGB strips (80 LEDs in total). This means you need three RGB channels for the 12 + 4. However, if you buy 2 Commander Pros, then that's 4 and you technically don't need any LNPs and still have 1 channel to spare if you add more strips or heaven forbid, more fans. You may want to factor that cost analysis into the single vs 3 pack cost. If you only get one C-Pro, then you need as least 1 LNP, although it is sometimes nice to have a spare without paying $40 for it. Right now the cost of the LL120s is down, so this is a good time to buy (at least in the US), but there are several permutations you need to calculate.

Still read the thread linked above. There is a lot of little tedious obstacles in setting this stuff up. USB 2.0 headers are a common limitation, but thankfully the C-Pro provides 2 pass-throughs that work with any USB 2.0 device, regardless of brand.

thank you this was very helpful, so I will buy 2x triple pack LL120, 6x single LL120, 2x commander pro, 1x rgb expansion kit.

How long are the cables on the fans? Do you think I need to buy extensions for the o-11 case?

Yes, those would work - though more affordable alternatives are typically available.

And yes, you'd control the fans in pairs. If that doesn't work for you (for whatever reason), then the second CoPro would be required. And keep in mind that 3 fans will be on the H150i's own fan header.

Yes, those would work - though more affordable alternatives are typically available.

And yes, you'd control the fans in pairs. If that doesn't work for you (for whatever reason), then the second CoPro would be required. And keep in mind that 3 fans will be on the H150i's own fan header.

that'll work fine for me, do you have any suggestions on brand/model for the y-splitter?

It doesn't really matter what brand of splitter. Obviously the really sketchy looking wire with all the 1 star reviews on Amazon is not the one to get. It will need to be a PWM splitter, which has 4+3 pin connectors on the end and a 4 pin connector at source. Also, you would need three of these for the 9 (6+3) LL120s. I would still give some consideration as to whether you need all of those three on the Commander Pro or whether some can be sent to the motherboard for basic control.

The fan cables are plenty long, it's the LED strips that often need the extensions in medium to large cases.

It doesn't really matter what brand of splitter. Obviously the really sketchy looking wire with all the 1 star reviews on Amazon is not the one to get. It will need to be a PWM splitter, which has 4+3 pin connectors on the end and a 4 pin connector at source. Also, you would need three of these for the 9 (6+3) LL120s. I would still give some consideration as to whether you need all of those three on the Commander Pro or whether some can be sent to the motherboard for basic control.

The fan cables are plenty long, it's the LED strips that often need the extensions in medium to large cases.

alright then, thanks a lot for your help and hope you have a great start of your 2019. :)