Corsair Community

Corsair CMX512-3200LLPT Chip Failing Memtest86+

Hello,

I have a Corsair CMX512-3200LLPT (DDR400, 512MB) chip that is failing Memtest86+. I had been experiencing some strange freeze-ups and video glitches, and it was recommended that I test my memory modules with Memtest86+. All my other system components appear to be functioning properly and I have run appropriate diagnostics.

I have two of these chips, but only one shows errors in Memtest86+.

Motherboard: A7N8X-Deluxe (Rev 2.0, BIOS 1008)

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (NOT Overclocked)

My memory timings are set to "Optimal" in BIOS (default), and the speed is set to 100% (SYNC) to match the FSB (200MHz).

I tested each chip separately using Memtest86+. One chip came up with these errors:

Test: 2

Pass: 2

Failing Address: 000115eed58 - 277.8mb

Good: ffffffff

Bad: fff7ffff

Err-Bits: 00000000

Error Count: 194

Please let me know how to proceed (RMA, etc.). I would like to get a replacement chip ASAP. I purchased this chip less than six months ago.

Thank you,

Josh

Josh what do you have the FSB Jumper set to? And please tell me the exact bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory.

Hi RAM GUY,

The FSB jumper on the A7N8X-D is set to 400/333/266Mhz (Pins 1 & 2).

Here are my exact BIOS settings for CPU and memory:

- CPU External Frequency (MHz): 200MHz

- CPU Frequency Multiple: 11.0x

- System Performance : User Defined

- CPU Interface: Optimal

- Memory Frequency: 100% (SYNC)

- Resulting Frequency: 200MHz

- Memory Timings: Optimal

- x SDRAM Active Precharge Delay: 6 (greyed out)

- x SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay: 2 (greyed out)

- x SDRAM RAS Precharge Delay: 2 (greyed out)

- x SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T (greyed out)

- CPU Vcore: 1.700V

- DDR Reference Voltage: 2.6V

Quick question for you... with the above settings, is my FSB really running at 200MHz or at 400MHz (2x)? When I boot up, my CPU speed shows up correctly at 2200Mhz, but the memory shows up at 200MHz, Single Channel (with a single chip in). I thought the DDR & FSB should both run at 400MHz given my configuration.

J.

• Corsair Employees

The clock frequency would be 200 MHz and since its double data rate that would be 200 X 2 = DDR400 so that is correct.

And please try these settings and test the system with http://www.memtest.org to be sure.

- Memory Timings: User Define

- x SDRAM Active Precharge Delay: 6

- x SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay: 3

- DDR Reference Voltage: 2.7V

My last reply had a typo, the "x SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay" was indeed already set to what you suggested I try -- 3. My original reply said 2, but it was actually 3.

So the only thing I am going to change and try with Memtest.org is bumping the DDR Reference Voltage to 2.7V.

I'll try that, run a few passes in Memtest and report back.

The clock frequency would 200 MHz and since its double data rate that would be 200 X 2 = DDR400 so that is correct.

And please try these settings and test the system with http://www.memtest.org to be sure.

- Memory Timings: User Define

- x SDRAM Active Precharge Delay: 6

- x SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay: 3

- DDR Reference Voltage: 2.7V

• Corsair Employees
You still should set the memory timings manually. And with this MB you if you still have problems please set the FSB jumper to pins 2-3 furthest away from the CPU and then test it again.

RAM GUY,

Hi there. I set the memory timings manually and bumped the DDR Ref Voltage to 2.7V. Then I let Memtest86+ (1.5.1) do two passes on the chip. It still came back with over 190 errors for Test #2. Same failing address that I listed before.

Next I switched the FSB jumper, which seemed to chop the FSB/CPU speed in half. Ran Memtest86+ again (only 1 pass this time), and the same errors in Test #2.

How should I proceed now?

Also, for my good Corsair 512MB module, should I be running the DDR Reference Voltage at 2.7V or 2.6V (Default) in the A7N8X-D BIOS?

Thanks,

J.

You still should set the memory timings manually. And with this MB you if you still have problems please set the FSB jumper to pins 2-3 furthest away from the CPU and then test it again.

Okay, I'm going to try and RMA the bad chip through NewEgg, who I bought it from.

But I was wondering... should I run my good Corsair chip at DDR Reference Voltage 2.6V or 2.7V?

Thanks

Lets try replacing your module or modules.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi RAM GUY,

I attempted to RMA the chip through NewEgg.com, where I originally purchased it. They are saying that this chip type is no longer available so they can't send me an identical replacement.

They are offering to send me this chip (CMX512R-3200C2PT) instead:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-472&depa=0

Which seems to me to be a higher latency chip, and also runs at a lower voltage. I don't think it will match well with my other CMX512-3200LLPT.

So my question is, should I have them send back the bad chip so I can RMA it directly through Corsair?

Is the CMX512-3200LLPT still in production and can Corsair provide an identical replacement? This would be ideal for obvious reasons.

Please let me know how I should proceed. I've told NewEgg to hold off on sending me the higher latency chip (CMX512R-3200C2PT) for now.

Thanks,

J.

Lets try replacing your module or modules.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

• Corsair Employees

That module they are trying to give you is not compatible with your MB. I would suggest you submit a RMA request directly to us for both modules.

They have offered to give me a refund (normally they don't do this) at market value of $142. They are also trying to locate the bad chip I sent in to them, but they cannot send me a refund AND send the bad chip back to me. Only one or the other.

Only one of my original CMX512-3200LLPT chips failed Memtest86+ tests, but you have suggested I RMA both chips a couple times. Was this a typo or do you believe I should RMA both chips even if only one of them was failing Memtest86+?

Thanks,

J.

That module they are trying to give you is not compatible with your MB. I would suggest you submit a RMA request directly to us for both modules.

I see.

Unfortunately, this system is fairly "mission critical" for me. If I pull out the good chip and RMA it as well, then I won't have a functioning system and I can't work from home.

Would it be possible to RMA them separately, but make a note with the 2nd RMA about the revision of the chip so I can receive a matching pair?

Also, I was thinking of adding a third module... most vendors don't state the revision of the chip when they sell... so how can I go about getting everything matched up properly? Or does the revision of the 3rd chip not matter as much?

Man, this was so much easier in 1995. :)

Most MB's would need matching modules or they may not post, same part# and revision. That is why I suggested you submit both modules so they match.

• Corsair Employees

No I am sorry there is no way for us to be sure you would get matching modules. I would try and work this out with newegg and if they can’t help you then contact our customer service by email with all of your info and explain the issue to them I am sure they do their best to help you.

Please send us a email with a copy of the form or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to Rma@corsairmemory.com.

If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to warranty@corsairmemory.com and we will help to resolve it.

Archived