Corsair Community

How to make my lightning work?

Wahab

I was not 100% sure, whether this question belongs here or not. But here we go:

I have a 3 pack of ml fans, they came with a lightning node thingy.

I'd like to buy an additional 3 pack, and at the same time buy corsairs RGB strips.

Can I buy the RGB strips alone, without a lightning node, hook the RGB strips and 3 fans into one lightning node, and then hook 3 others to another lightning node and then connect 2 lightning nodes into one commander pro? Or is it much more complicated than that

(I get a lightning node for each 3 pack I'm buying, so 2x3 pack is 2 lightning nodes)

Less complicated... at least for your situation. Each Lighting Node Pro (LNP) can handle two channels of RGB devices. Each channel can be either: a) 6 RGB fans of the same type (ML, LL, HD) or b) up to chained 4 RGB strips (80 LEDs total).

So for you, all you need is 3 ML-RGB fans as either singles or triple pack, whichever is cheaper. Then get the Corsair RGB LED Lighting Pro Expansion Kit. https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/CORSAIR-LINK/CORSAIR-RGB-LED-Lighting-PRO-Expansion-Kit/p/CL-8930002. It is just the strips, but you also get the precious 4 extensions which make setting them up the way you want a 5 minute job versus running around town all day looking for parts to build your own.

That's it for that set-up. All the ML-RGB fans go into the RGB Lighting Hub. That is one channel. The 4 RGB strips will go into Channel 2. Ready to go. Only 1 LNP needed.

You only need the Commander Pro if you want to be able to control your case fans from the iCUE application on the desktop, rather than in the BIOS from the motherboard headers. If so, then the C-Pro is an additional expense and will replace the LNP in the system (Don't get rid of the LNP. It can always be piggy backed on later for more stuff). Same two channels of RGB control, plus 6 fan headers for speed control, and up to 4 temp probes for info and fan control.