Corsair Community

Geforce GTX 1080TI Founders Edition Overheating

That87tuner

Hi all, i have a 1080TI FE. Recently i have had very high temps and was seeing if someone could lead me in the right direction.. With fans speeds at 100% the card will sit at 84C. I was looking for a hybrid kit to put on it but they are not available for sale anymore. Should i change the thermal paste inside the card or should i just go with an open loop to cool it? (i'm on a budget) Thanks everyone!

Assuming the 1080 Ti FE has the same beautiful, sweet harmonious blower fan sound as my former Titan X Pascal, I'd suggest doing either the AIO hybrid route or full water just to make that noise go away. I did both. However, more seriously, you certainly should run through a full check up of room/case temp, load, GPU clock and voltage settings to make sure there isn't something out of whack. Once you split it open, it will be hard to put it back into its former state in terms of warranty compliance. It might be doable with the AIO hybrid depending on where you get it from, but full water is a no and the your new block will likely require taking off all the old pads and putting on new.

I actually still have the Titan it and it sits in my case on its own loop, full water, XSPC block, 280 HW Labs radiator, D5 pump tucked away. It works, my GPU is cold, peaking at 42-44C in Summer or roughly a +12C delta over ambient. I can't complain about the performance, but know what you are getting into with building your own loop. If you have never done one before, it will take a lot of planning, you will make mistakes with tubing, fittings, and maybe a wrong turn or two (hopefully not). In the end I am glad I did it. I used to do these all the time, but then time and maintenance became an issue and I wanted a lot more plug and play in my life. To that end, this first started off as an EVGA hybrid kit.

A 120mm AIO strapped to the bottom of the card. Air cooling on the VRM, you get to keep the factory shell and aesthetic. I only had the Titan in stock trim for a month before I could not take the shrill fan anymore, so this was important at the time. It was easy. I could remove the card and cooler in its entirely if needed. The performance was drastically better than air. I would peak out at around 52-53C on the hottest summer day, or about +10C on the 280mm radiator I have now. While the full water block seems like a big improvement, that additional heat mattered little and was simply exhausted out the back 120mm slot. As funny as it sounds, I actually think my case looked it best when in this form. There was a lot of balance to everything. Internal case temperatures were joke, with a bad day being a +2C rise. Fabulous set-up. If that whinny little 120mm pump didn't get on my nerves on quiet mornings, it might still be there. To be honest I was ready to do another water project and bored at the time. The funny part was to make the current system work with dual 280mm in this Air 740 case, I had to reverse the flow from back/bottom intake to front/top exhaust. It works, but not quite as efficiently as the prior traditional front/bottom in, top/rear exhaust. I can no longer push extra case heat from the various motherboard components out of the back and it pools a bit in the top front corner.

For most people I would recommend you got the AIO hybrid route first. It is comparatively inexpensive, can be done with a few simple screw drivers (find your star drive now), and does not have quite the permanent end state of affairs as a full water block. However, the wrinkle might be the 011. I am not quite sure how I would set it up in that case and I worry about there being enough space for the 120mm radiator on the back and how it will look in comparison to the non-traditional design. The 011 is certainly a case designed with a pump/reservoir combo in mind and there are placed to put it and lots of other builds to study. It might be worth it, if the building and planning process if of interest to you.

Edited by c-attack