Corsair Community

Cooler optimizing configs?

AP1916

Well, I've had my build up and running for about one day, and I am already questioning whether or not it can be better.

First, the obsidian 500D RGB came with not only the CoPro, but also the RGB LED Hub. I bought some refurbished 140 RGB HD fans for dirt cheap just to get the LED Hub, so now I have two hubs. Basically, I have two extra 140s and an LED hub that aren't being used, which could easily be set up as a 2nd LED channel in the CoPro.

Right now, I have the h115i top mounted as exhaust. This is working fine, but I'm wondering if a front mounted cooler with Push / pull and the two additional 140s top mounted as exhaust would be better?

I feel like this is really close to a question I already asked. :(

Would my over all intake suffer with this setup? Even if it's only marginally better, I still have everything I need to do it without spending another cent.

If you have the parts and don’t mind the labor, then there is no reason not to change it and see for yourself. I do think you should give it a few days in the current state to provide an adequate comparison. What to expect? You likely gain 1-2C in positional advantage because the front rail is slightly cooler than the top 3 inches of the case. 1C of cpu/coolant temp is not a lot to get excited over, but the real trick will be the comparison when under long duration GPU loads like gaming or rendering. In some cases this is a large difference and while I would predict it to be non-critical in a 500D, the reality is this can only be answered by someone with your exact hardware and case. So...

Nothing is completely without cost. By moving the radiator to front intake you will need to forgo the front dust filter. Keeping it on will pose a very noticeable penalty. There is nothing wrong with not having a front filter, but some people will go to extraordinary lengths to avoid spending 10 minutes cleaning once every 1-3 months. More legitimately, there are some environmental conditions where this may be prohibitive. If you live in a dust bowl or shelter dozens of long hair cats, there are some accommodations to be made.

Archived