Corsair Community

ICue software fan speed bug

venombanan

I have a Corsair H110i gtx cooling my overclocked 4790k. I have the fan profile set to the quiet profile. It seems as though whenever the CPU/water temp (not sure what ICue shows on the right-hand side) passes over 40C the fan speed spikes to 2400 RPM and makes a lot of noise.

Now whenever I pull the dot ever so slightly off of the 40C vertical line, it slows to the correct speed %. Not sure what is going on here but just wanted to make the issue known.

EDIT: Just tested it with the balanced and extreme presets under custom and they both do the same once they surpass that 40C mark

Edited by venombanan

Correct. It's not a bug but a design feature. For most uses, a +15C increase from your starting idle coolant value to 40C is a large increase and suggests you need a large fan response. 40C coolant temperature was the default trigger on that series. However, the one thing that is really good at heating up the coolant is the GPU, even though it's not part of the cooling system. As your GPU heats the entire case, the coolant temp will rise the increase in local temperature. The combination of GPU heat + CPU heat internally can certainly get you to 40C, particularly in warmer times of the year. This is one of several reasons not to use the presets that were designed for a specific starting temperature. Most people are going to fit exactly those points and there is no reason not to use a custom curve. If you live in a warm location or even temperate zones in Summer, you will run into the 40C mark eventually.

Power your PC on after a cool off period and see where your H110i GT temp settles after 10-15 minutes. This is your baseline coolant temp. Most people have a value +4-7C over their room temperature. Set the fans to a low and unobtrusive level for quiet desktop work. Next time you have a heavy GPU/CPU combo game, render, or whatever you do running, take note of the peak coolant temperature. Set your fans to a higher mark, but still something you can stand to listen to. There is no meaningful difference in cooling performance between 1200 and 1000 rpm, so go with the noise level. For me, that's about 1000 rpm on a 140mm, although it is fan model dependent. Save the last dot for a 100% blast somewhere around the 50C mark. You should not reach that level, but if you do, you still want a clear auditory warning things are out of balance.

This last dot=max speed issue is a known thing with the GT/GTX series coolers. Always save a dot or two to stick past the temps you normally encounter. This should keep the false fan blasts to a minimum.