Corsair Community

DDR3 won't boot in anything other than 1333mhz

NickRyge

Hi,

I know I'm a bit late for the party with my old PC, but I disregarded this issue a long time ago, and now my OCD demands an answer once and for all.

So, issue is, I have this Z77A-G43 motherboard and an i7 3770K that I got a long time ago, and a few years ago, a buddy of mine offered to buy me some new 2400MHz Corsair Vengeance DDR3 if I traded him my old 1600MHz RAM. The story doesn't matter, I said sure - Seemed like the deal of the century, and after installing the bastards I figured that it would run just fine. And it did, but I didn't see any noticeable difference in performance. - Until I got into some heavier games, and noticed performance had actually dropped. I got into my BIOS, and noticed that it was running 1333mhz. Which I guess makes sense, so I enabled XMP, and lo and behold: No boot. Just darkness. BIOS returned, and I tried manually setting the speed, the rates and the voltage, and nothing. Tried overclocking CPU to accomodate the RAM, nothing. I cannot, no matter what I do, change the frequency of the RAM. Not even down. Anything other than 1333, and it wont boot. I tried updating the BIOS, which didn't help either. No boot. Doesn't crash, doesn't bluescreen, it just doesn't boot, and gives no indication as to why.

I've googled it to death, and I'm not even sure what to google anymore, as I cannot find anyone with the same issue.

I checked that everything was compatible with the RAM, which I found that it was. Some forums mentioned the i7 might only handle 2133, but as I can't even set it to 1600Mhz, I don't see that ever becoming a problem.

I have no clue what to do at this point.

Send help.

• Corsair Employees

Hi NickRyge,

After checking the specs on those components I'd be inclined to say that the CPU won't allow the 2400MHz rating as it's only rated for 1333/1600

Unless you've specifically matched the memory to the motherboard, we can't really guarantee much.

You can always run memtest86 from a bootable flash drive to see if the memory is otherwise behaving as intended.

Regards,

Mordred

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I know the CPU officially cannot handle 2400Mhz. It should, however, handle 2133Mhz. You can't guarantee that, I understand, that's not my concern. What I'm wondering is, why can I not run it on 1600Mhz? If I change the frequency from 1333Mhz to literally anything else, it refuses to boot. Now, I Googled the CPU, and other forums state that they have their 2133Mhz corsair RAM working just fine on the 3770K. MSI's newest BIOS states it should be able to handle the memory as well, and in the BIOS, the XMP-settings are exactly the same as the in the Corsair manual, which I suppose means it knows what to do with them, as it knows what their ratings are.

But let's forget about the 2133Mhz and the 2400Mhz. I want to know why the hell it refuses to boot when I change the frequency to 1600Mhz. The CPU is rated for that guaranteed, and so is everything else. Any suggestions? I have tried everything I stated in the original post.

Thanks,

Nick.