Corsair Community

H100i v2 Temperatures issue ( HW or SW ? )

Massimo1980

Hi to all,

( first of all: sorry for my poor english! and hope i don't make a stupid question! )

I've bought a Corsair H100i v2 (240mm) on November 2016. I use it on a i7 6700K processor in a NZXT Phantom 410 case.

Since from the first day a paid attention to the QFAN procedure to avoid any kind of elettrical issue and until now i didn't have any sort of temperature issues.

Some months ago i've started to ear a lot of noise from fans ( the same at 50% and 100% speed ) but the temps were still ok.

So i decided to change the fans with a pair of Noctua NF-F12. Everything worked perfectly and the noise problem was completely wipedout.

and in the last month the big issue appeared:

Usually i have a range temperature from the H100i ( the liquid temp i immagine ) that goes from 35°C to 37°C ( with chrome browser opened with 5-6 tabs ) and the CPU stays around 30-37°C

But in the last month this temperatures started to increase drastically.

From iCUE (3.10.125) i can read a temp of 45°C - 49°C ( of the liquid ) with the CPU in idle!! ( CPU temps around 40-45°C )

Thinking about some possible "software" problem ( in the past i've experienced some similar problems with the upgrades of the Link software ) i've started to try some possible solution:

I've downgraded iCUE software to 3.9.93 ...nothing changed.

I've completaly removed and reinstalled the software and the USB Driver of the h100i ....idem.

Checked if there were possible Powersaving options on the device from windows....nothing.

After differents desperately ( and unusefull ) tests i've found this ( and i don't know if this is only a coincidence):

Usually, when i set the QUIET performance on iCUE for both PUMP and FANS, i can read that kind of temps ( liquid temp around 45-47°C ...and CPU temps around 40/45°C ) but on iCUE the pump speed was set on EXTREME performance (3100rpm - 3200rpm) ....

If i change the performance mode from EXTREME to QUIET for 10 seconds ...and then put it back to EXTREME.....the temperatures returns to "my normal" range after few minutes! ( 35-37°C Liquid temp and 30-35°C CPU temp )

Is it possible that the pump actually is running to a different speed that iCUE says ? Or there is a way to confirm that ?

Actually i have no clues if this issues are hardware or software releated (I don't even know if i can RMA this device now! anyway.. i don't have a possible substitution for the cooler, so i can't work with my desktop )

Any advice before i have to buy a new one ?

Thanks!

Massimo

Thank you for the quick response!

I've just tried this. Unistalled everything and reinstalled Link Software.

Same results and same temperatures!

But if i try the same trick ( set the QUIET mode for few seconds and then back to PERFORMANCE mode ) also on Link software, after few minutes both liquid and cpu temperatures lowers back to what i consider "normal"

that's why i asked if is it possible that the pump is running to a different speed or if the software is reporting a wrong speed

I've also tried to put my ear near the pump and change the speed ( to see if there is actually a "real" change ) but the fans don't let me ear nothing :P

If i change the performance mode from EXTREME to QUIET for 10 seconds ...and then put it back to EXTREME.....the temperatures returns to "my normal" range after few minutes! ( 35-37°C Liquid temp and 30-35°C CPU temp )

This isn't a software issue. You have a hardware problem. The H100i v2 is developing a partial blockage of the coolant flow. Adjusting the cooler from high to low and back may temporarily dislodge it, but it's still there and in a closed loop it's not going anywhere.

Contact Corsair Tech Support through ticket system link in the header above. At this point, you are still functional, but this will only get worse over time. You need to move toward a replacement.

Contact Corsair Tech Support through ticket system link in the header above. At this point, you are still functional, but this will only get worse over time. You need to move toward a replacement.

Before i create a ticket just one question:

from what i read in this forum, i have to send back the faulty unit to Corsair (charges against me) and wait the RMA to be approved. If i'm lucky ( considering the Christmas holidays), i will receive a new unit back in the next couple of months.

As i wrote in the past post, i don't have a spare cooling system for replacing.

There is a different way to proceed with the substituion that permit me to continue to use the pc ?

Thanks a lot for the support

Rgds

The Advance RMA process would send you a cooler without you sending yours back first. They do issue a charge against your CC to hold as collateral.

And keep in mind that the only support stuff you see on the forum is where things go wrong. Using the forum as a guide is like using the evening news to say that US streets are full of fatal car accidents, fires and shootings everywhere. But yes - the holidays will cause delays, that's not just on Corsair. Shipping has been delayed too.

Thank you very much for the answer!

So, in any case i have to spend other money and wait... ( from Italy it takes 30€ to 45€ for the shipping back in Europe...)

And keep in mind that the only support stuff you see on the forum is where things go wrong. Using the forum as a guide is like using the evening news to say that US streets are full of fatal car accidents, fires and shootings everywhere.

I'm really sorry but i don't understand what do you mean. I'm using this forum to understand how i can "solve" MY issue. i don't really want to understand how Corsair works or if makes good/bad devices :)

Anyway, in my specific case, the only solution for continue to use my pc is to buy a new cooling system and then try to RMA the h100i ( if Corsair wants to..).

Marry Christman and happy holidays to everyone!

Thank you very much for the answer!

So, in any case i have to spend other money and wait... ( from Italy it takes 30€ to 45€ for the shipping back in Europe...)

I'm really sorry but i don't understand what do you mean. I'm using this forum to understand how i can "solve" MY issue. i don't really want to understand how Corsair works or if makes good/bad devices :)

Anyway, in my specific case, the only solution for continue to use my pc is to buy a new cooling system and then try to RMA the h100i ( if Corsair wants to..).

Marry Christman and happy holidays to everyone!

The complaints about slow support response times - since you referenced that. "If I'm lucky, i will receive a new unit back in the next couple of months."

And I provided another suggestion - the Advanced RMA will allow you to keep using your cooler as it is until the replacement comes in. You would then send the faulty cooler back and the deposit would be released.