Corsair Community

1000D Rad+Fan Configuration

auskie

I think I made a boo-boo. Starting a new loop in the 1000D. Plan is: 2x 200mm Fans in the front (might go with 3x ML140 PRO RGB... point is not planning on attaching a radiator to the front). Then 3x ML140 PRO RGBs on a Black Ice Nemesis GTX 420 in the top and 2x ML140 PRO RGBs on a Black Ice Nemesis GTX 280 in the back.

The potential problem: will this fit? It looks like the rad+fan combos will impede each other.

Anyone have any experience with mounting a 420mm rad in the top and a 280mm rad in the back? Only doing push fan configuration.

I've already ordered the ML140 PRO RGB fans (dang those guys are expensive!) and I just ordered the Black Ice Nemesis GTX 420 and 280 rads today. So I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Any thoughts, opinions, advice from you more experienced guys are greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much

Hi bud... looking in mine right now.. I only have the H115i Platinum in at the moment.. looping it as soon as i can..

but i can offer you some pictures if that helps...

Top Rear.. LL120's in the back and LL/ML 140's push/pull up top

http://i.imgur.com/QgPJWUfl.jpg

and here is a shot of the clearance to mobo's heatsink with just 120mm's in there

http://i.imgur.com/6hg3Zy9l.jpg

Cant see you getting a 280mm and fans in the back with the room you have up top after rad and fans go up there

in fact.. having now looked at the rad you suggested for the back,,, not a chance dude.....

I noticed you have your 115i in push/pull, any chance the reduced height of going push only will make this doable? If not I'm going to try and cancel that order as soon as possible. Maybe get a slim 280?

By the way, thank you so much for the super fast, informative, and helpful reply!

I noticed you have your 115i in push/pull, any chance the reduced height of going push only will make this doable? If not I'm going to try and cancel that order as soon as possible. Maybe get a slim 280?

By the way, thank you so much for the super fast, informative, and helpful reply!

No worries dude...

even if i remove the fans from one side you will still have clearance issues with that rear rad imho.... its a maybe with a slimmer 280.. but obviously i can't confirm that....

Zotty, youre the man-I appreciate your rapid replies and value your input.

Can you give me a quick sanity check? I just did some math...

GTX rads are 54mm in "height", ML140s are 25mm for a combined height of 79, call it 80mm. When I measure 80mm in from the top inner corner of the rear fan mount and then 80mm from the rear outer corner of the top 3x140mm fan bracket the measurements do not touch. Therefore, in theory, assuming a perfect alignment, it should work?

Or did I make an error in my assumptions/measurements?

I could also, to be safe, get a 280GTS rad for the rear instead which is 30mm, and then I should be good for sure?

Zotty, youre the man-I appreciate your rapid replies and value your input.

Can you give me a quick sanity check? I just did some math...

GTX rads are 54mm in "height", ML140s are 25mm for a combined height of 79, call it 80mm. When I measure 80mm in from the top inner corner of the rear fan mount and then 80mm from the rear outer corner of the top 3x140mm fan bracket the measurements do not touch. Therefore, in theory, assuming a perfect alignment, it should work?

Or did I make an error in my assumptions/measurements?

I could also, to be safe, get a 280GTS rad for the rear instead which is 30mm, and then I should be good for sure?

I love HW Labs rads. They are loved by the water cooling community.

The art of cooling is a very complicated and confusing topic. Oddly enough you would be better off with GTS rads over GTX. In benchmarks the GTS actually out performs the bigger cousin at lower fan speeds in push only configuration, only at higher fan speeds and push/pull does the GTX out perform the GTS. These examples are for the 360mm, though it should scale similar for the other sizes:

GTS out performs GTX at push only at low RPMs:

Nemesis-360GTX-W10DT-1.0-750-P.png

GTX pulls a little ahead w/ push only at 1350 RPMs:

Nemesis-360GTX-W10DT-1.0-1300-P.png

GTX leaves GTS in dust with push and pull with 1850 RPMs:

Nemesis-360GTX-W10DT-Avg-1850-PP.png

Source: https://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/02/14/hardwarelabs-nemesis-360-gtx-radiator-review/5/

Again it is a completed subject, the GTS is the go to for many reasons beyond size. The fin density, core density, water channels, and fan configuration can have different effects. Looking that you are going to have a lot of rad space I think you will be better off with a GTS, I typically run my fans at lower RPMs, I have dual 360mm rads and my fans never run at full tilt.

Also one note about HW Labs, they tend to "cheat" by having rads that are wider than most rads. This is one way they fit more water channels in. People have ran into issues running rads side by side, on cases such as in the 1000D. Just make sure you measure, if you want to run rads side by side, like in the front of the 1000D

Good stuff guys. Zotty, thanks for the pics and the sanity check. My conclusion was off because the rads are not perfectly centered on the screws. No way a 280GTX will fit.

Solarity, you bring up a really fantastic point. Especially since ML140's have a max rpm of 1500. I think you are right. a 420GTS and a 280GTS would have been the best way to go. However, I already ordered the 420GTX and a 280GTS. I may have to put the 420GTX in push/pull to justify it now.

Good stuff guys. Zotty, thanks for the pics and the sanity check. My conclusion was off because the rads are not perfectly centered on the screws. No way a 280GTX will fit.

No worries dude... and Dang.... time to get the hacksaw out?? lol....

Solarity, you bring up a really fantastic point. Especially since ML140's have a max rpm of 1500. I think you are right. a 420GTS and a 280GTS would have been the best way to go. However, I already ordered the 420GTX and a 280GTS. I may have to put the 420GTX in push/pull to justify it now.

he's a mine of information a lot of us don't really factor in... can count on Solarity to make those missed points :).. nice guy.. intense info....

I do go a little board with information, though I like people to have as much info as they can have. Granted having most people setup their custom loops as intake only so they get the cooler ambient air, assuming you have your GPU and CPU both in the loop. My last system had no exhaust fans and all intake, though then again your case is the size of a house so I don't think you would see huge improvement, compared to something much smaller. I wouldn't recommend running w/o an exhaust, I just ran out of room to mount one.

I love the GTS fans, though in a case that big they will be swimming inside of it. You need to filler up!

I do go a little board with information, though I like people to have as much info as they can have. Granted having most people setup their custom loops as intake only so they get the cooler ambient air, assuming you have your GPU and CPU both in the loop. My last system had no exhaust fans and all intake, though then again your case is the size of a house so I don't think you would see huge improvement, compared to something much smaller. I wouldn't recommend running w/o an exhaust, I just ran out of room to mount one.

I love the GTS fans, though in a case that big they will be swimming inside of it. You need to filler up!

My planned setup is: 3x ML140s in the front (Intake), 2x ML140s on the 280GTS in the rear (Exhaust), and 3x ML140s on the 420GTX in the top (Exhaust).

The idea is for the front intake fans to bring in lots of cool air. Let that air flow over the components and get pulled out and through the radiators.

However, as you pointed out. I may need to go Push/Pull on that GTX.

I am disappointed that the ML140 PRO RGBs only spin up to 1200RPM. That does not synergize with the thickness of the 420GTX at all. You were very right when you recommended the GTS series.

Archived