Corsair Community

Ram running out of spec

vlad335

I bought a stick of PC3200 XMS 512mb Corsair back in Sept 2002 from newegg. This was to add to the PC3200 XMS 512 stick I already had. I recently upgraded my computer to a Dual channel A64 3500+ and noted some performance issues. Comparing it to a A64 3000+ I built for my Brother in law a week ago it was just slightly faster. Long story short, I downloaded CPU-Z and found out one of my sticks was PC2700 and my memory speed is 163mhz!

I actually went through my old orders on Newegg and found it.

Heres a cut paste from my newegg invoice...

DDRAM512M|64MX64C2.5 PC-3200PT COR%

(Serial#: 20145414.000240)

Cearly says PC3200 but it is not. I payed 179.00 for PC3200. It is running at PC2700 speeds,166mhz. I am under the impression that corsair has a lifetime warranty right? Will ram slow down or did I just get ripped? I never checked the speeds before but I have a feeling this has been PC2700 the whole time.

What do I have to do to get this replaced?

Heres what CPU-Z says about my modules.

SLOT #1

Module size: 512 Mbytes

Max Bandwidth: PC3200 (200mhz)

Manufacturer: Corsair

Part Number: CMX512-3200c2

SLOT #2

Module size: 512 Mbytes

Max Bandwidth: PC2700 (166mhz)

Manufacturer: Corsair

Part Number: CMX512-3200

Oh I forgot...

My mainboard is a GigaByte GA-K8NS-939. Latest Bios 11-25-04. CPU is an Athlon64 3500+

I saw another thread after I posted this with a similar problem as mine. I downloaded the Everest program and it says the same thing. One stick is at PC2700.

• 4 months later...
What does the label on EACH stick say, part # and lot #?

How To Read the Memory Label

Most likely it's a v1.1 stick that has the SPD marked as 2700, but will run at 3200 fine.

Sorry for the long delay. I have since bought 2 one gig sticks of Corsair but I need this memory for my 2nd machine that I am going to get up and running for BF2.

THis stick will not run at PC3200 period. I have tried to set it to 200mhz in 3 different Mobos and get a black screen everytime when I try this. I am working on getting a pic posted here of the part/lot numbers.

• Corsair Employee

If you purchased this module before December of 2003 these modules SPD was set to the JEDEC spec for PC-2700 as there was no spec for DDR400 until that time. The tested setting would need to be manually set but there is nothing wrong with the module that is what you purchased at that time.

The MB you have may not take to setting the timings manually as that was an issue with this MB as I remember. However, if you like we can try and RMA the modules you have but I would suggest you talk to customer service and ask if they can match the 2 modules you have and RMA both of them. Or find another use for the old module and just send the new one back and get a Twinx set of modules may be a better choice.

If you purchased this module before December of 2003 these modules SPD was set to the JEDEC spec for PC-2700 as there was no spec for DDR400 until that time. The tested setting would need to be manually set but there is nothing wrong with the module that is what you purchased at that time.

The MB you have may not take to setting the timings manually as that was an issue with this MB as I remember. However, if you like we can try and RMA the modules you have but I would suggest you talk to customer service and ask if they can match the 2 modules you have and RMA both of them. Or find another use for the old module and just send the new one back and get a Twinx set of modules may be a better choice.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes I believe the Gigabyte is unable to set the timings but my Asus A8V can. The stick will not boot at 200mhz/PC3200.

So you say I can send back both sticks and you guys can match them up for me? Wow!

Actually I may have use for the PC2700 stick as my buddy needs an extra 512 for his PC. i may sell it to him. Can I send the PC3200 one back and get a twinX set for it? It would be extra cost right?

heres a pic of the two sticks. The offending part is on the top.

http://users.adelphia.net/~vlad335/mem.jpg

• Corsair Employee
Well thats not exactly what I said. This is not a warranty issue, but our customer service might be able to help you if that is your only choice. But you would have to send all of the modules, so you would be with out memory for a week or so.

Well thats not exactly what I said. This is not a warranty issue, but our customer service might be able to help you if that is your only choice. But you would have to send all of the modules, so you would be with out memory for a week or so.

Sorry, I am not trying to be a jerk but this is confusing me. ( Maybe not enough coffee this morning) How is this not a warranty issue? I bought this memory stick as PC3200 and it will not run at this speed. I have tested it in the Gigabyte listed above and also 2 asus (A7n8x and A8v) boards.

I have no problem sending both sticks back. Can you give me the Customer service number?

Customer Care #: 1-888-222-4346

Your part # / version # / lot #s:

CMX512-3200PT XMS3202v2.1 023606

CMX512-3200C2 XMX3202v1.1 0305045

It isn't clear if you're testing both sticks together or not. Test ONE stick at a time. Each one will pass @ 200 Mhz. You stated that the CMX512-3200PT XMS3202v2.1 023606 was the stick that shows up as PC2700 in CPU-Z. THAT IS NORMAL.

In otherwords, it'll pass @ 200 Mhz just fine. One complication you have is that you are attempting to mix different part #s (3200 and 3200C2) as well as different revisions, neither of which are recommended. Now if either stick fails when tested by itself at the appropriate timings (which I'll list at the end of the post), THEN it is a warranty issue. If they both pass individual tests, then it's not. However, it sounds like customer care is going to go the extra distance and replace both sticks with a TwinX pack (same part and version #, and tested together: What, exactly, is TWINX?). I could be wrong though, don't want to assume anything.

Timings for 3200C2:

CAS Latency: 2.0 on intel, 2.5 on AMD

RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3

Row Precharge (tRP): 3

Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6

Timings for 3200 (3200PT):

CAS Latency: 3

RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3

Row Precharge (tRP): 3

Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8

Memory Voltage: 2.75 volts

All other settings to defaults

• Corsair Employee

The module has been running in another system with out problems, right?

And when you purchased the module that was the spec and in order to run at the tested settings it would need to be manually set as with all of our XMS modules that have a "C2" designation. In other words if you install the module in another system that will allow you to set the memory frequency and timings manually will it pass http://www.memtest.org by it self? If so then that module is running as advertised. The issue is you are trying to use an old module with a new one that specifically states in the user manual that you should only use matched memory.

Warranty covers defects in workmanship or a failing module that is not the case here. Again, I made some suggestions to resolve the issue, but if the module will run in an approved platform at the tested settings then it's a request to help you get your system up and running not a warranty request.

And since you are trying to mix memory if you cannot find another use for the old module I suggested you ask our customer service to help you resolve this, by matching the modules you have, because of the system requirements. Not that we had to, just as a courtesy.

Just want say you have tremendous support here. Just got off the phone with John and everything will be fixed. You guys are going above and beyond normal tech support.

I have been having a hell of a time with AMD and Asus in tech support and I thought this was headed down the same road. Not even close! Spent 2 hours on the phone with Asus yesterday ( On my own dime BTW) with no resolution. John summed up the problem I was having in 20 seconds with my board! Also explained very well the reason I am having problems with this memory in terms that were very easy to understand.

THanks again! I am now a Corsair customer for life.

Dave Gregory

• 3 weeks later...

Called today to check on my RMA. Corsair says it was never received...

Sent it on 6-28-05 via USPS. Let the guy at the post office talk me into First Class mail because the package was light. He didn't even ask me for insurance and I didn't think to get it. I have the receipt and a claim filed but I have a feeling thats going to go nowhere. A package with Corsair memory on it is probally a pretty good target.

Should have sold each stick individually on Ebay.

Thanks anyway. I had a feeling this was alittle too good to be true.

I have already been in contact with them. THey want me to wait then fill out some form next week. I guy I talked to pretty much told me if they don't find it in there system lost or something I am SOL.

Don't worry about alerting your RMA dept. Thanks anyway but it is not going to arrive. It would have been there long ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee

We found your package and it was on hold because the part #'s did not match the RMA request.

THESE RMA’ S HAS DISCREPANCY PARTS

CMX512-3200PT

CMX512-3200C2PT

I have asked they be replaced ASAP so you should get them by the middle of next week.

Archived