Corsair Community

Is this normal behavior for iCue

brkbeatjunkie

Hello

This is my first post :) I just built a new system to replace a 7 year old build and went with the commander pro, 6xLL120 h115i platinum and vengeance pro rgb ram. All that should be in the signature rig specs I believe. Anyways when running iCue, often Corsair.services.exe and LightingService.exe and the GUI minimized consume enough of my 9700k resources, that’s it’s not able to downclock. As soon as the software is off, all cores steadily reduce to 800mhz, netting a DOUBLING of cpu power savings. Windows power management is set to balanced. When iCue and it’s respective services are running, they consistently consume 5-13% of the 9700k 8 cores. Even when just one system color is selected, in which my thinking there is if one had a lot of layered rgb patterns on devices, that could definitely take up more resources, but this is even a issue when one color is selected. Does anyone have any recommendations to reduce cpu usage besides exiting the iCue app? I don’t really dig the super bright rainbow effect when you exit the program so wanted to avoid that...

There are quite a few threads discussing CPU usage spanning multiple versions of iCUE, or basically since launch. At this point, the complaints usually center around a few specific devices and you have one of them --- the RGB Pro RAM. Try turning off the software control mode for the RAM lighting effects. Also see here.

I suspect that will chop your CPU usage down to the 1-4% range (both app and Corsair.Service combined). However, I don't think it will address the frequency spikes and that seems to be a deliberate behavior of recent Intel offerings. My 5930K can run iCUE, Link, HWiNFO, or AIDA and run flat at the minimum with only the light C-states (C2 limit) and EIST. My 8700K requires anesthesia to reach those tranquil levels, even with nothing going on. It was driving me nuts when I first put this build together and I stopped using AIDA entirely because I couldn't stand to watch the frequency oscillating up and down. However, it's not just iCUE but most any monitoring program or anything else with continuous things to do that will cause this. People wanted a zippy, responsive processor. They got one. With iCUE uninstalled and running AIDA64, I still have this. It's just something you'll have to adjust to. The actual power differences might hard to pin down since you can't measure the P-state changes and that is part of the package. Once the RAM is off software control, you should hopefully be back in the 2-3% range, which is commensurate with other monitoring programs.

Thank you for the reply, I thought it might be the case that other folks are seeing the same thing. Appreciate the detailed info, really helps.

EDIT: ahh yes, turning off full software control dropped the cpu usage a fair amount. Hope they fix this, I didn’t buy all this stuff to run rainbow mode all the time...

Interesting, every time I turn off full software control on that ram, it defaults to rainbow mode, I’ll fool around with it though, I’m sure I’m missing something. Happy thanksgiving!!

EDIT. figured it out ha, also turning off software control on the ram has allowed the cpu to fully downclock to 800mhz on all cores, but brightness is disabled with it off. Oh well.

Archived