Corsair Community

Intel RAID missing on bootup

yskim4him

Hi, Here's my system spec.

M/B : Asus P4C800E -Deluxe

CPU : Intel P4 2.8

Mem : Twinx CMX512-3200LLPT x2

HD : segate SATA 160gb x2 on Intel RAID 0

Symptom: every time cold boot (boot up after several hours of power off), the Intel Raid reports one of the HD on RAID is missing. (it does not occur when i reboot it immediately.) Then I would reboot it and go to the Bios setup and do one of these.

1. go Advanced - JumperFree Configuration : Change Performance mode to Auto to Standard or vice versa.

2. or go Advanced - chipset ; Change Performance Accelaration Mode to Auto to Enabled or vice versa.

Then after rebooting, it would be OK. However, the next day the Raid is reported missing again.

Remedy I've tried.

1. first, I thought it was PSU. so I replaced the PSU to Antec 550w. - no use.

2. contact Asus and reported there's a problem with Intel RAID and got RMA. but Asus Tech. found no problem with ICH5R chipset. they just upgraded BIOS to version 1009. - still same problem

3. then contact Seagate and RMA the HD. - but still same problem.

4. called Asus again. they suggested that change memory modules from bank 1 and 3 to 2 and 4. - still no use.

It has been more than half an year, and I came to think about the possiblity of defected RAMs. However, memtest has been passed without any errors for 2 cycles. also I tried with one module at a time, but didn't do any good.

FYI, no O/C, no RAM timing changes made.

Help me!

I've NEVER heard of memory messing up a RAID config. Cold boot showing the problem leans towards heat issues. RAID chip could be overheating.

OK, please help me understand...

I'm having a missing RAID array problem with cold boot.

I do not have this problem with many reboots ( i.e. restart from windows or power off and on shortly) when computer is up and running with many reboots.

then how does it related heat issues? if RAID chip's overheating is to blame, shouldn't I have this problem with reboots rather than cold boots?

any help appreciated.

Thanks

Meh, got it reversed, thought it was working ONLY on cold boots.

Only thing I can think of then is a voltage issue, as when you turn on a PC, it needs the most amount of power to start the HDDs spinning, which could undervolt other parts of the PC if the PSU or motherboard has a problem.

Meh, got it reversed, thought it was working ONLY on cold boots.

Only thing I can think of then is a voltage issue, as when you turn on a PC, it needs the most amount of power to start the HDDs spinning, which could undervolt other parts of the PC if the PSU or motherboard has a problem.

Yea, That's what I thought in the first place. so I upgraded the PSU to 550w.

but still I can't pin point the cause of the problem.

The thing I don't understand is that why change(s) that I make in BIOS can bring the RAID array back to normal. :(:

So when this happens, (you loose the Raid array) and you go into the bios of the MB and then exit the Array is then present. Is that what you mean?

yes, sir!

I go into the bios and change one of settings that I mentioned and exit the bios. Then the Intel Raid array is back on.

• Corsair Employee
That would suggest a bios problem with the MB as long as the Raid controller is part of the MB, IE: When you go into the bios and exit it's adding latency because of the changes and may be giving extra time for the drives to initialize. I would contact the MB maker and ask them to help you. It would be possible that an unstable PSU can cause this type of error as well. But either way I would work with the MB maker and see if they can help you solve this.

That would suggest a bios problem with the MB as long as the Raid controller is part of the MB, IE: When you go into the bios and exit it's adding latency because of the changes and may be giving extra time for the drives to initialize. I would contact the MB maker and ask them to help you. It would be possible that an unstable PSU can cause this type of error as well. But either way I would work with the MB maker and see if they can help you solve this.

Well, I just sent an email to Asus tech. we'll see what they are to say.

but, I don't see this problem is related to PSU anyway, since my new 550W and old 380W works just fine with the other machine that I have.

Thanks anyway for the quick reply.

P.S. is there any other memory test program beside memtest?

Archived