Corsair Community

A8N-SLI Deluxe questions

DruD

Setting up a new system, so far consists of

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe

AMD 64 3500 Winchester Core

OCZ ModStream 520 Watt PS

Thermaltake Silent Tower (cpu cooling)

Asus EN6800GT PCI-e (only one for now, not SLI mode)

My questions are,

1. What Memory is best choice for this whole combination, was looking at TWINX1024-3200XLPT or TWINX1024-4400C25PT, not gonna do any extreme overclocking, but i dabble in that area just to learn more.

2. What do I gain, or lose between bandwidth and latencies between the two mentioned above, meaning, what is more important or more noticeable, throughput or clock cycles? I mainly do MMOG's and some video editing, but I'm just a novice in training.

3. What is the difference between a matched pair of sticks, and dual channel? Can I run a matched set in dual channel mode? Or will I be missing something?

Any answers or input is greatly appreciated and welcome! Thx.

If you are not planning on Over clocking that much I would suggest Twinx1024-3200XL for best performance and price.

Thx for the quick response RamGuy, and info. But price is not a major factor, and I'm also looking for answers to other questions for my personal knowledge. Thx again.

• Corsair Employees

I would have to direct you to some of the reviews before I answer the questions. They are just to general to give you a solid answer.

These are just a few of the most recent reviews, but I am sure if you do a search for the modules you are interested in you will find many more. I think these kinds of questions are hard to asnwer because they are dependant upon ones expectations and the system in which they will be using and reviews are a great place to start.

1. What Memory is best choice for this whole combination, was looking at TWINX1024-3200XLPT or TWINX1024-4400C25PT, not gonna do any extreme overclocking, but i dabble in that area just to learn more.

A: I would direct you too the reviews first and then if you still have questions, I would also suggest you look at the MB we use to test the specific module you are interested in XMS Qualification and Testing, then if you have questions about a specific platform please let me know.

2. What do I gain, or lose between bandwidth and latencies between the two mentioned above, meaning, what is more important or more noticeable, throughput or clock cycles? I mainly do MMOG's and some video editing, but I'm just a novice in training.

A: This is really hard to answer because there are just too many variables. And the module or modules I would suggest will depend on the make and model of MB you use as well as your intentions. But as a un-written rule of thumb Intel platform seem to run better with more relaxed timings at higher frequency's where as AMD seem to be the opposite running tighter timings at lower frequency

3. What is the difference between a matched pair of sticks, and dual channel? Can I run a matched set in dual channel mode? Or will I be missing something?

A: Dual channel is a function of the chipset and or memory controller, all that is needed would be 2 modules installed in the correct slots that are the same type and speed to enable this function. Memory that is sold in our case as match pairs (Twinx sets) take this one step further in that we build the 2 modules from IC made from the same lot and then test them in a dual channel MB.

Rojakpot.com

{PC4400C25}

The Corsair XMS4400 TwinX modules are really targeted at serious overclockers who do not care how their systems look. All they want is performance, and that's what these modules deliver.

Xpert

http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q1/corsair-xpert/index.x?pg=1

The Asus board's death did give the Xperts another chance to show off, though. Whenever I powered on the ailing A8N-SLI board in an attempt to get it to POST, I could tell that nothing much was happening because the Xperts gave me a "0MHz" clock speed reading, indicating they hadn't been initialized. Even after clearing the CMOS, swapping CPUs, and the like, the Xperts never budged from 0MHz. This board was too dead to start, and the Xperts helped me confirm it. When I first saw the Xperts doing their thing, I thought they were a kind of funny novelty item, not anything I'd want for myself. My overclocking misadventures taught me otherwise. I think a pair of these puppies will be very useful to have around Damage Labs, and not just to impress visitors. Sometimes, for certain uses by certain types of users, including hardware testers like myself, the parametric data coming out of the Xpert DIMMs can prove invaluable.

http://www.overclockers.com/articles1191/

Corsair's XMS Xpert does the job nicely at spec memory settings (5 2 2 2.0) at 2.7 volts and can be pushed a little further with detuned memory settings. The LED module and monitoring software make this a very nice package - I can only imagine what messages users might program into the scrolling display.

http://www.mvktech.net/content/view/1181/

Corsair pulls off another milestone with the XPERT series. This ram is some of the fastest in the business and combined with the most outrageous LED display’s, EXPERT is sure to rule the world. This ram is state of the art in all respects and the fact that Corsair has put out such a device shows the sheer creativity of what mere thought can manifest into. Editor’s Choice

Thank You very much RamGuy! You answered all my questions. I know what was in your head during that time, but you have told me what I need to know, in all aspects! Thx again.

Thank you for takiing the time to put all that together

Archived