Corsair Community

Bad TWINX1024-3200?

pwyzorski

I bought a mobo (Gigabyte GA-K8NS PRO) and a kit of your memory sticks (Corsair TWINX1024-3200 1GB Kit DDR400) back in October of last year from a vendor (ZipZoomFly.com). I checked with your website and I believe I have a correctly matched mobo and memory kit. Everything was fine for a while.

Recently however I've been experiencing a variety BSODs (Blue Screens of Death) and intermittent system hangs. On a hunch I did a test of the memory using the SimmTester software and it found errors. Then I checked out your support forums and found that they recommended using MemTest86+ (v.1.51), which I did and it found errors as well. It consistently failed Test#2 and one other that I didn't write down.

I’m not over clocking nor doing anything else terribly fancy, but I am a developer so I do use my system very heavily with respect to memory and HDD access. The reseller (ZipZoomFly.com) only has a 30-day policy, so they will be of no help to me. I am in your RMA process; I’m fairly certain I have a bad pair of sticks and would like an exchange. What is the next step here?

System info:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-K8NS PRO

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+

Mem: Corsair TWINX1024-3200 1GB Kit DDR400

Video: Matrox G550 AGP 4X 32MB

regards,

~Patrick

Did what you suggested, results:

Module #A ran for about 50 minutes all the way up to Test #7 with NO errors before I turned it off (I have actual work to do today). Module #B lit up with three errors almost immediately at Tests #1 & #2. I then turned it off and put module #A back in so I could actually do something with my PC.

What's next?

~P

Please set the Dim over Voltage control to +.2 Volts and then test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure.

Did what you suggested, results:

Module #A ran for about 50 minutes all the way up to Test #7 with NO errors before I turned it off (I have actual work to do today). Module #B lit up with three errors almost immediately at Tests #1 & #2. I then turned it off and put module #A back in so I could actually do something with my PC.

What's next?

~P

Archived