Corsair Community

Faulty Memory CMX512 (Matched Pair)

Neirin

I have run memtest86 3.2 on both sticks of my matched pair of CMX512-3200C2 and i have come up with errors on both sticks after extensive testing. The errors are very slow to appear when each stick is tested separately (one test ran for 4 hours before an error was reported) Though one stick does produce errors more frequently and much more rapidly than the other. But when the sticks are tested together the errors are picked up almost before 5 minutes are up. When running the system, it will experience hangs or applications will crash. Nothing in the system is overclocked and everything is running at stock speeds. CPU temp is 97 and MoBo temp is 77.

System Specs:

P4 3.2ghz 800fsb (stock speeds nothing overclocked)

Asus P4C800E Deluxe - Bios version 1019 (most recent as of 10/29/04)

Corsair Memory XMS3200 512MB 400MHZ CL2:

Part Number CMX512 3200C2

Version XMS3202v1.2

Lot Number 0328935

Please make sure that you have legacy USB disabled when running http://www.memtest.org and set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts and test the modules one at a time. But if you are getting errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem.

Okay i will do that and get back to you.

I RMA'ed the mobo afew months back, but what is the problem that is suggested by errors produced by two modules?

Running the latest version from memtest.org using the settings you recommended (2.75 volts and disabling legacy usb) i had upwards to (this is no exageration in the least) 3228 errors all from test number five. once the section of the ram between 445mb to 511mb was checked, nothing but errors were produced. I will check the next stick overnite again but i will suspect similar results as this stick thI at produced this many errors was actually the stick that produced less errors before.

As for bios setting everything is on factory defaults, Hyperthreading is on, no overclocking options are on, everything is on auto or recommended. Only things that were changed was that which you asked me to change to run the test. If you need more specific information please let me know.

----*edit*-----

i ran the second stick through test five to see if it would produce errors quickly and it did

The system specs

P4 3.2ghz 800fsb (stock speeds nothing overclocked)

Asus P4C800E Deluxe - Bios version 1019 (most recent as of 10/29/04)

Windows Xp Pro Sp2

250gb sata wd hdd

using onboard sound card

BFG geforce 6800 gt

My psu is a Thermaltake Silent PurePower 560W Power Supply ATX 12V, Model "W0023" The voltage settings are fine and all are well within the threshold.

I have taken the bad modules and placed them in another system running memtest and it returned errors. The second system i tested them on is a brand new P4P800E Deluxe with a Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0E GHz 800MHz FSB processor with a ENERMAX 660W Power supply EG851AX-VH. Once again everything on this motherboard is running stock settings.

At this time i would like to request an RMA, i believe i have a pair of faulty sticks ( my luck that both go bad :[pouts: .) I ran memtest using the memory from the new machine(p4p800) (corsair cmx512-3200xl) tested both sticks separately and together and it has not produced errors at all. When you mentioned that it could be another problem i had thought it could be my motherboard so i used the memory from the p4p800 to test on the p4c800. No errors were reproduced. But when i took the memory i use with the p4c800 and tested it on the p4p800 the same errors during test five were reproduced.

• Corsair Employees
As long as you had the Dim Voltage set to 2.75 Volts and PAT and legacy USB disabeled then I would suggest we try and replace them. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived