Corsair Community

K70 MKII Shift keys upside down. How fix this?

VinceS

Hi,

I purchased a top Logitech G810 kb 2.5 years ago and wore the keys off to the point I was routinely mistyping. So I have just replaced it with a top end Corsair K70 MKII Cherry Brown with double shot keys and, to my astonishment, I find the thing is not a standard QWERTY layout. That was not made the tiniest bit evident in any of the marketing info. I looked at other kb's and they had side by side characters, which is an absolute no-way for me. After typing on these things for 40 years I am not the tiniest bit interested in rewiring my brain because, wait for it, a search here finds:

This change was made because of how the LED is placed on the switch themselves. Since the LED is placed at the top and some people were complaining that not enough light is passing through the number keys, we've decided to switch them around.

Well, we can't please everyone..

Un-bee-leev-able. So a not fit for purpose product is released because some kids in the R&D dept decided the lights on the kb weren't quite pretty enough. IT IS A KEYBOARD, and needs to be really good at that first. As in being used in a well lit room for typing. (if you can't see it so good when using it under the covers at night, maybe you need a torch?). I do see the LED's are at the top and would have thought it was a far more sensible solution to put the specific keys in the other way round and keep orientation correct. I guess this is the lazy solution to a micro-problem...

But, whoopdi doo, the K70 comes with a shrink-wrap pack of 10 gaming keys I can swap out for the typing ones. But no sign of the 18 keys I need to use the thing for typing on, which is 99.5% of the time. Why one buys a top rated bulletproof keyboard is so they will last and look pretty (as only decent gaming hardware seems to actually be super-reliable these days, and up for a bit of O/C, so may as well 'look the part' and blend in), and some obviously buy for gaming.

I am already clear I will not be able to satisfactorily adapt to this, and it will matter a lot for a long time, and so I need to fix it. Not going to be able to have my brain work both ways when using other keyboards, ever. Doesn't matter if a person is 16 or 60, same problem and a real disappointment that such a feeble excuse is used to justify this non-standard product.

It's funny, but I am pretty sure I would be able to type more quickly if I just turned the keys upside down as having inverted keys is less of an affront to the brain than pressing a shift key that goes down not up.

So, rant over, is there a way to fix this? As in buy (or be provided with as a warranty issue?) the 'missing' keys, configured correctly? 17 anyway as someone stuffed up this 'improvement' and the quotes key is already installed upside down. Actually a half-sized CAPSLOCK key would be pretty handy too as I am so over activating that with typing letter a's since I don't have petite hands. The Logitech Wave kb's used to have that feature, but not seen it much of late. Thank you.

The kb is actually rather nice. But I will be looking for a return as an unfit product if I can't easily get this key issue sorted well. Am I the only one that feels like this or is this a hassle for anyone that does any kind of decent typing?

Just reinstall the keycaps in the correct orientation? It's not that hard to do..

Edit: Also, every Corsair keyboard is of the standard US QWERTY layout.

Sadly, neither of these statements are true! Aha, for example, to get that !exclamation! mark I looked at the 1 key and UNDER the 1 was the exclamation mark. On any standard US QWERTY keyboard it would be above the 1. Turning it upside down might put the symbols in the right place, but they would be inverted. Didn't even occur to me that such a major change wouldn't even be mentioned in the marketing info. But there it wasn't. And I have been back and checked!

There are numerous LED and RGB keyboards that are configured this way for the reason cited, including Logitech boards. If this doesn’t work for you, take it back and get something else - probably non-LED. Most people do adapt, but if after 40 years you are still looking at the keys while you type, it does seem illogical to think that will change.

Sadly, neither of these statements are true! Aha, for example, to get that !exclamation! mark I looked at the 1 key and UNDER the 1 was the exclamation mark. On any standard US QWERTY keyboard it would be above the 1. Turning it upside down might put the symbols in the right place, but they would be inverted. Didn't even occur to me that such a major change wouldn't even be mentioned in the marketing info. But there it wasn't. And I have been back and checked!

Oh, yeah no, its still the standard QWERTY, its just like that so the symbols shine brighter than the numbers do, everything is still in the same place and works exactly like any other QWERTY keyboard.

Yep, just like a 'space saver' tyre is a standard wheel. I get it now....

Re the 'take back' option, sure I could go there. But I want double shot keys that will last - not so important for the numbers keys. And a roller vol dial, love that. Don't mind the cool lighting to 'blend in' and impress the grand kids when they want to bludge a go on the VR stuff. What other kb has this? I already know spare keycap sets can be purchased, but I would be buying a lot of unnecessary junk there and looking for a better solution than https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-%7C-Parts/Gaming/Gaming-Keyboards/CORSAIR-Gaming-Classic-K70-Full-104-Keys-Set/p/CH-8970022 but that is an answer, which surprisingly hasn't even got a mention here yet...

Those are not double shot keycaps and since you stated you had the model "with them", I presumed what you really had what the K70 MK.2 Special Edition that has white keycaps. If you have the black keycaps, they are not double shot. However, since Corsair doubleshot keycaps are side by side character marking, it might solve your issue(s). I will warn you -- the black double shot caps will drastically alter the RGB lighting. Whites will be soft. All other colors muted substantially. For some people this is perfect, but it will not look the same. The white is bit more interesting and I used the K70 MK.2 SE in a bright store. It looked better, but I am not sure how much value you can attribute to a 5 min audition. White keys aren't for everyone.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/ACC-Series/ACC-Color/pbt-config/p/CH-9000235-WW

Thank you for that commentary, obviously when looking for useful tips I need to make the situation clear. The kb I bought is a CH-9109012-NA being a K70 RGB MK.2 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard — CHERRY® MX Brown. This one: https://www.skycomp.com.au/ch-9109012-na-corsair-k70-mk-2-rgb-gaming-cherry-mx-brown-backlit-rgb-led-mechanical-keyboard.html.

It is amusing that this ocd lighting issue has been 'solved' via side by side characters too. Obviously I care far more about ease of use than 'prettiness'. But that's me, and I will be finding a solution. Doubleshot not very important for these less used keys.

Crikey, I can't count. It is actually 21 keys afflicted with downshifting disease, one of which is printed upside down so can just be inverted!

If the change was done credibly, as a minimum the word Shift would be accompanied by a down arrow each side of the word. But it is just a shot from the hip to deal with lighting unevenness and not actually think about consequences. Marketing fail 101 actually. Please a segment of the market with a non-core feature (?) and greatly displease another with disruption of a genuinely core feature. And then don't even tell them what you have done. Aah well, whinging will do no good. It is all about the fix now...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this is a perfect answer to the issue: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-%7C-Parts/Gaming/Gaming-Keyboards/CORSAIR-Gaming-Classic-K70-Full-104-Keys-Set/p/CH-8970022

Whilst the number keys are slightly duller now and the Shift characters accented, I really can't see how this was ever a problem in the first place. It's like some people have to find a way to complain for the sake of it. IMHO of course, but that would be no surprise in reading this topic!

Corsair tech support were absolute champions sorting this issue out for me and I only have gratitude for the excellent job they did. I didn't realise how much the upside down keys had been impacting me at a deeper level. Brains are such funny things that they refuse to be rewired (quickly anyway) when something important (to them) changes. It is such a relief typing on a 'proper' keyboard again. It is just a 'Wow' thing, and you would pay good money to have it like this rather than put up with it.

The keys were a snack to remove with the key puller (came with the original kb), note there is a gap in the kit where the puller isn't, so don't lose the original!

Heck, since I have a spare now I even took to the Caps-lock key with a box cutter and superglue to shorten it, in an endeavor to cut down on the aMOUNT OF TIMES AFTER i HIT AN A. There, that is a classic example, do I retype it or find the case changer menu option is my usual dilemma... Hopefully all sorted now!

PS: It was rather amusing to see the inverted colons key was an actual production mistake, as the key is not symmetrical and can't be inverted, not without distracting from the clean look of the keys anyway.

Archived