Corsair Community

Corsair RGB case fan recommendations

berlin88

I am in the process of replacing my old Antec 1200 V2 case with the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Special Edition, and need some Corsair fan recommendations.

I am looking at getting some Corsair RGB fans for my case, and need recommendations on which ones to get, along with whatever accessories I might need to go with them.

The Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Special Edition case supports the following fans:

1. 3x 120mm or 2x 140mm front fans

2. 2x 120mm or 2x 140mm top fans (it could take a 3rd 120mm on top, if I removed the optical drive, but I will be using my Blu ray drive).

3. 1x 120mm or 1x 140mm rear fans.

Which series of Corsair fans should I get? HD, ML or LL? or a combination of series?

Which size of fans should I get? 120mm or 140mm? or a combination of both sizes? I could go with 120mm fans in front, and then 140mm top and back.

Should I buy all my fans in packs, or should I just buy one pack and get the rest as singles?

Ignoring any fans that you may get if you use an AIO cooling solution, and assuming you want both RGB but also high performance and quiet operation, then (if you have the budget). I would recommend getting 3x120mm ML PRO RGB fans for the front and 3x140ML PRO RGB fans for the top and rear.

I think the RGB on the LL fans look a little better than the RGB on the ML fans (because the rim of the LL fans is also RGB, whereas only the blades of the ML fans are RGB). That said, I prefer the ML fans because they are higher performance and quieter at a given RPM. I can't comment on the HD fans.

I'm not sure what push/pull configuration you will go for, but try to get a positive air pressure in the case - so you want more air being sucked in than blown out: this may lead you to just using 120mm fans all around.

Ignoring any fans that you may get if you use an AIO cooling solution, and assuming you want both RGB but also high performance and quiet operation, then (if you have the budget). I would recommend getting 3x120mm ML PRO RGB fans for the front and 3x140ML PRO RGB fans for the top and rear.

I think the RGB on the LL fans look a little better than the RGB on the ML fans (because the rim of the LL fans is also RGB, whereas only the blades of the ML fans are RGB). That said, I prefer the ML fans because they are higher performance and quieter at a given RPM. I can't comment on the HD fans.

I'm not sure what push/pull configuration you will go for, but try to get a positive air pressure in the case - so you want more air being sucked in than blown out: this may lead you to just using 120mm fans all around.

I like your suggestion of 120mm fans in front and 140mm fans on top and in back. I won't be using any fancy water cooling or AIO solution, so it will just be the case fans.

The 140mm fans come in packs of two, so I could buy a pack of 2x 140mm fans and then get 1x 140mm and 3x 120mm as singles.

If I purchase more than one fan pack, I would end up with more than one Light Node Pro and more than one RGB Lighting hub. I believe I only need one of each, so I could just save a little money buy buying single fans.

Do I need to buy anything in addition to the fans? Do I need to spend money on a Commander Pro, or could I just run the fans using the Light Node Pro and RGB Lighting Hub that come with the fan pack?

I like your suggestion of 120mm fans in front and 140mm fans on top and in back. I won't be using any fancy water cooling or AIO solution, so it will just be the case fans.

The 140mm fans come in packs of two, so I could buy a pack of 2x 140mm fans and then get 1x 140mm and 3x 120mm as singles.

If I purchase more than one fan pack, I would end up with more than one Light Node Pro and more than one RGB Lighting hub. I believe I only need one of each, so I could just save a little money buy buying single fans.

Do I need to buy anything in addition to the fans? Do I need to spend money on a Commander Pro, or could I just run the fans using the Light Node Pro and RGB Lighting Hub that come with the fan pack?

I *think* you need a CoPro if you want to control the fans and set curves etc (which you do). How set are you on the case you've chosen? I use a 500D RGB and it's really pretty good and comes with the CoPro included.

I *think* you need a CoPro if you want to control the fans and set curves etc (which you do). How set are you on the case you've chosen? I use a 500D RGB and it's really pretty good and comes with the CoPro included.

I don't have my case just yet, as it won't be delivered for another day or so.

I settled on my Phanteks case, largely because I still use a Blu Ray optical drive and 3x HDD drives, which the 570X and 500D RGB wouldn't support. I considered the option of buying external enclosures for my optical drive and 3rd HDD drive, but ultimately decided I didn't want to spend the money it would take to do so, not when I could get the Phanteks Ethoo Pro M SE for $95 after rebate. The 570X would have been my first choice, but it lacked a 3rd HDD slot and had no optical drive support. Buying an external enclosure would have been at least an extra $40 or so per enclosure. My budget is not unlimited, so I opted to with the Phanteks case.

The 500D RGB is also out of stock at multiple online sites, so that wasn't an option, even if I had want to get it.

I suppose one could question why I am spending money on RGB fans when I was money conscious with the case selection, but I am willing to fork over a little money for RGB fans.

With the fan RGB, what's more important to you? What look do you want to achieve?

Each of the Corsair RGB fans have their own strengths based on the look that you want. Have a look at the RGB FAQ as it describes each one pretty well.

The LL fans are relatively quiet (due to low speeds) and gorgeous ... but only on one side. The also do well as pure airflow fans. The HD fans can have an unpleasant sound at high speed when installed horizontally - but it's really not overwhelming. The are better for static pressure than the LL fans and a little better on airflow (mainly due to higher speed) and have brighter lights that are visible from both sides. The ML fans have the least RGB but, as mentioned, offer the best and quietest performance. So it depends on what you are trying to achieve and what's important to you.

With the fan RGB, what's more important to you? What look do you want to achieve?

Each of the Corsair RGB fans have their own strengths based on the look that you want. Have a look at the RGB FAQ as it describes each one pretty well.

The LL fans are relatively quiet (due to low speeds) and gorgeous ... but only on one side. The also do well as pure airflow fans. The HD fans can have an unpleasant sound at high speed when installed horizontally - but it's really not overwhelming. The are better for static pressure than the LL fans and a little better on airflow (mainly due to higher speed) and have brighter lights that are visible from both sides. The ML fans have the least RGB but, as mentioned, offer the best and quietest performance. So it depends on what you are trying to achieve and what's important to you.

I ended up getting 2x 140MM LL fans to start. I installed one on the top of the case and one in the rear. My Phanteks case came with 2x 140 mm fans in the front, so I have those as well.

I eventually intend to purchase 3x 120MM LL fans for the front and a second 140 mm LL fan for the top, but am just starting with the 2x 140mm fans for now.

My Asus Maximum VIII Hero motherboard does not have enough Chasis fan connectors to support 6 fans, so I will have to get a converter cable of some kind, that I can plug into the PSU cables.

I did not order the Commander Pro, so I just have the RGB Light hub and the Light Node pro installed right now. Since I am still transitioning from my old case to the new one, I have not used the command adhesive strips on the Light Node pro or RGB light hub, and instead just have them laying on the bottom of the case.

I have the 2x Phanetks fans set on a Green color, while the two Corsair fans have been set to alternate between Classic French Grey and Prussian Blue.

My Asus Maximum VIII Hero motherboard does not have enough Chasis fan connectors to support 6 fans, so I will have to get a converter cable of some kind, that I can plug into the PSU cables.

Have you considered fan splitters?

I did not order the Commander Pro, so I just have the RGB Light hub and the Light Node pro installed right now. Since I am still transitioning from my old case to the new one, I have not used the command adhesive strips on the Light Node pro or RGB light hub, and instead just have them laying on the bottom of the case.

Here's an idea: Get some flexible magnets with sticky tape. Even when you move to the permanent case, this will make it easier to move around.

Have you considered fan splitters?

Here's an idea: Get some flexible magnets with sticky tape. Even when you move to the permanent case, this will make it easier to move around.

I had not considered fan splitters, but I will likely order one, now that you have suggested it. I have to order a new HDD bracket anyways, so I can get both at the same time.

I think I have the fan situation sorted out, and will be going with the Light Loop Series. I have already gotten 2x 140mm fans from that series, so I will just buy additional fans from that series so that its all the same.

In regards to orientation, which fans should I set as intake fans, and which should be set as exhaust? Is it better to have 2x 140MM fans in front, or 3x 120mm fans?

I was thinking that the top two fans should be blowing downwards into the case, with the rear fan pushing air out. The front fans could then be pulling air in and blowing it towards the back.

I have my PSU fan facing the floor of the case, so the air from that fan is going downwards and out the bottom of the case. I don't have water cooling or anything like that, just the Coolermaster heat sink on my CPU.

Archived