Corsair Community

BIOS settings for VS512MB400

archimago

I updated my BIOS using the latest update from ECS and WinFlash. It appeared to work ok, but I can't boot my system with the BIOS protect jumper set to "enabled". Thought that was weird. Do I need to clear CMOS in order to load the new BIOS settings? Only thing I can think of. Anyway I want to input the settings that RAM guy recommended, but my BIOS doesn't look like what he described. I have Pheonix AWARDBIOS. Please tell me what values I should put in these fields for my two identical sticks of 512MB RAM:

Freq./Voltage Control:

Auto detect PCI Clk: [Enabled]

Spread Spectrum: [+/- 0.50%]

CPU Clock: [200 Mhz]

CPU Voltage Regulator: [Default]

DDR Voltage Regulator: [Default]

Advanced Chipset/(DRAM Clock/Drive Control):

Current CPU Freq: [200Mhz]

Current DRAM Freq: [200Mhz]

DRAM Clock: [by SPD]

DRAM Timing: [Auto by SPD]

SDRAM CAS Latency: [2.5]

Bank Interleave: [4 Bank]

Precharge to Active(Trp): [4T]

DRAM Command Rate: [2T Command]

My processor has an 800Mhz FSB, so I think I should be able to set my CPU clock higher, but it only lets me set it up to 231.

Here's my system specs:

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz E, 1MB 800 FSB Socket 478 Prescott Hyper Threading (Boxed with heatsink and fan)

http://www.intel.com/products/deskt...tium4/index.htm

MOBO: ECS PT800CE-A V1.0, 800 FSB, VIA VT8237 South bridge, 8x AGP, SATA RAID, AMI BIOS, Realtek 6-channel audio

http://www.ecsusa.com/products/pt800ce-a.html

RAM: 2 X 512MB (1GB) Corsair ValueSelect VS512MB400 DDR400 (PC3200)

http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair...select.html#ddr

HDD: RAID 0 (striping) Array: 2 X 120GB (240GB) Seagate Baracuda SATA-150 7200RPM ST3120026AS, on onboard VIA VT8237 controller

http://www.seagate.com/cda/products...081,586,00.html

Video Card: PowerColor ATI Radeon 9250, 128MB DDR, 64 bit, AGP 8X

http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9...9200/specs.html

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB and load Setup/Optimized default settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

Freq./Voltage Control:

DDR Voltage Regulator: [2.7 volts or +.2]

AGP Voltage: 1.5 volts default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

DRAM Clock: [Manual or 100% or 200MHz (DDR 400)]

DRAM Timing: [Manual]

SDRAM RAS to CAS [3]

SDRAM Precharge [3]

Precharge to Active(Trp): [8T]

Ok. These settings are starting to look more like my BIOS. But we're not quite there. Under Advanced chipset/ DRAM clock/drive control, I am missing two of the feilds you listed. SDRAM RAS to CAS and SDRAM Precharge are missing. Also, the possible values for Precharge to Active (Trp) do not include 8T, the value you suggested. Mine can only be set up to 5T. When I use your settings, whether or not I change the Precharge to Active value to 5T(the closest I could get to your recommendation), my system will not even boot. I get a blank screen. Nothing happens at all. I have to clear CMOS in order to reboot it. So, in short, these settings don't appear to be helping. Please advise.

Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB and load Setup/Optimized default settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

Freq./Voltage Control:

DDR Voltage Regulator: [2.7 volts or +.2]

AGP Voltage: 1.5 volts default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

DRAM Clock: [Manual or 100% or 200MHz (DDR 400)]

DRAM Timing: [Manual]

SDRAM RAS to CAS [3]

SDRAM Precharge [3]

Precharge to Active(Trp): [8T]

• Corsair Employees
Please check with the MB manufacturer website if there is an update BIOS for your motherboard model, if there is then please flash it to the latest one; this may help your problem and add that additional option in your BIOS settings.

I've got the latest BIOS update flashed on 'er. I did that a while ago. At least I'm pretty sure. I went to the ECS site and downloaded their latest update, 11.1e I think it was. I'd give you the link, but their downloads page is not working right now. Dude ECS sucks. But anyway, the file I downloaded was illegible, however i think I extracted the actual update and used it with winflash. Winflash told me the update was successful. When I enable my BIOS protect jumper my system won't boot... so I have my doubts as to whether it was actually successful. My system boots fine with BIOS protect disabled. I know this isn't really a RAM question, but I need to know if I can get my BIOS working in order to use my RAM... Do you think my BIOS really updated successfully?

Please check with the MB manufacturer website if there is an update BIOS for your motherboard model, if there is then please flash it to the latest one; this may help your problem and add that additional option in your BIOS settings.

• Corsair Employees
If WinFlash said that the BIOS was updated successfully, and if "BIOS protect" by default setting is enabled to your board then I would highly suggest you to flash your BIOS to the latest one having the "BIOS protect" disabled and see if you can set that feature enabled after doing the update or re-flashing. Since you should have that disabled I believe if you want to update your BIOS, it’s a protection that they use just if a customer messed up their BIOS while updating it.

Archived