Corsair Community

Value Select DIMM only reports 2.5 CAS

hackerjunk

I have a Dell 8300 with 800 MHz bus, 2.6 MHz Pentium 4 (with hyperthreading). I purchased the Corsair VS1GKIT400 Lot# 0335085. (There was a seperate lot number on the individual DIMMS contained in the "kit". I haven't opened up the PC to look yet. Ran out of time today. If I recall, the lot number was a little behind the Kit's lot number.) The Dell memory runs at 400 MHz when installed without the Corsair memory. The Corsair memory runs at 400 MHz when installed without the Dell memory. When both are installed, it runs at 333 MHz. I am installing them in the correct DIMM connectors. I used the CPUZ tool to get the following information. Very cool tool! ========================================================== Version 1.19b 08/24/2003 Contact : [email]cpuz@cpuid.com[/email] Web page: [url]http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php[/url] CPU-Z is a freeware and can be freely distributed. ========================================================== NOTE: CPUz shows the "physical order" of the DIMMS, so CPUz makes it appear that I have not installed the memory correctly, since the logical order should be "DIMM 1" and "DIMM 2" paired up and "DIMM 3" and "DIMM 4" paired up. CPUz uses the physical slot numbers "0, 1, 2, 3". DIMM #0: DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MB DIMM #1: Hyundai Electronics DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 256 MB DIMM #2: DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MB DIMM #3: Hyundai Electronics DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 256 MB Trust me when I say that I have the memory paired up correctly. The clips are even color coded. I have one pair in the White clips and the other pair in the Black clips. The 256 MB "Hyundai" memory is the Dell memory The 512 MB "no-name" memory being the Corsair memory. It is interesting to look at the output below, in that it shows "max frequency" for 2.0, 2.5, and 3.0 CAS for the Dell memory, but only the 2.5 CAS "max frequency" for the Corsair. This must be causing the problem! Is this information encoded in the DIMM or is this a test run by CPUz? Must be encoded on the DIMM. If that info is encoded on the DIMM and the DIMM only reports back that it has a CAS of 2.5, the PC must then run at 2.5 CAS? That appears to be the logic being used by the bios. In which case, if the Dell memory can only run at 166 MHz for CAS 2.5, that brings the PC down to the 333 MHZ memory speed reported by the Dell bios. That leaves me with at least the following questions: Why doesn't the Corsair DIMMs report the CAS 2.0 and 3.0 Max Frequencies, along with the other missing info. Again, is that info stored in the DIMM or the bios or ??? If a DIMM is capable of running at 200 MHz for CAS 2.5, does that mean that it can run at 200 MHz for CAS 3.0? IF that is true for all DIMMs, then the bios should run at 3.0 CAS, thus running at 200 MHz, instead of the 166 MHz. IF this is true, is there a bios update that will fix this? (The setup doesn not allow me to change the CAS, it is only "auto detected." I'm over my Fry's electronics return limit, plus I cut up the packages to turn in for a rebate. (In all my years working with computers, I've never had a problem installing memory!) So, I'm stuck with this memory. Maybe Corsair would allow me to trade for some DIMMs that report 200 MHz for CAS 3.0. ...or replace the 512 MB Dell memory with another 1 GB 2.5 CAS 200 MHz memory, taking the system up to 2 GB. (Of course, I'll have to explain to my wife how the PC just will not run very well at a paltry 1.5 GB running at 166 MHz!) ========================================================== WITH DELL AND CORSAIR MEMORY INSTALLED: ========================================================== SIZE 1536 MBytes CHANNELS # Dual PERFORMANCE MODE disabled FREQUENCY 159.6 MHz FSB:DRAM 5:4 CAS# LATENCY 2.5 clocks RAS# to CAS# DELAY 3 clocks RAS# PRECHARGE 3 clocks CYCLE TIME (TRAS) 7 clocks CPU-Z version 1.19b Memory Modules Serial Presence Detect (SPD) -------------------- Module #0 Memory type DDR-SDRAM Manufacturer (ID) (0000000000000000) Size 512MBytes Max bandwidth PC3200 (200MHz) Part number Max frequency @CAS#2.5 200MHz -------------------- Module #1 Memory type DDR-SDRAM Manufacturer (ID) Hyundai Electronics (AD00000000000000) Size 256MBytes Max bandwidth PC3200 (200MHz) Part number HYMD232 646A8J-D43 Max frequency @CAS#2.0 133MHz Max frequency @CAS#2.5 166MHz Max frequency @CAS#3.0 200MHz -------------------- Module #2 Memory type DDR-SDRAM Manufacturer (ID) (0000000000000000) Size 512MBytes Max bandwidth PC3200 (200MHz) Part number Max frequency @CAS#2.5 200MHz -------------------- Module #3 Memory type DDR-SDRAM Manufacturer (ID) Hyundai Electronics (AD00000000000000) Size 256MBytes Max bandwidth PC3200 (200MHz) Part number HYMD232 646A8J-D43 Max frequency @CAS#2.0 133MHz Max frequency @CAS#2.5 166MHz Max frequency @CAS#3.0 200MHz

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry but for any OEM system you should really use a JEDEC complian module like CM64SD256-3200 and I would not suggest using both modules together. Mixing memory will often times cause this type of issue. And the fact that the system will run normally with our modules or with your factory modules. Ram Guy

I'm a little confused. I purchased "PC3200" memory, and I got "Non-standard PC3200 memory". How can the average consumer go into a computer store and say, "I'd like PC3200 memory" and then worry about geting the wrong kind of memory. Who's ever heard of JEDEC? I'm a computer nerd and I've never heard of it. I've been installing memory since the original full size 640K board. So, what am I supposed to do now? I can't return the memory, since I spent the return time complaining to DELL that they have a problem, when in reality it's the memory. I also cut up the packaging and sent in for a $20 rebate!!! What else should I know about this memory? What are my options? Will Corsair exchange this memory for JEDEC compliant memory? Thanks

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry but to get the modules returned or exchanged to another part you would really need to ask the reseller. We do not sell direct and would have no way to process this type of transaction. The best I can offer would be to swap the modules for you but only for the same part that you now have. And the system that you have has a list of memory that they will suggest and or support. This is there compatibility issue and it's not unusual. But you should see a bit better performance with our modules. Ram Guy

Sorry for the delay. I've been working a lot lately. Do all Value Select PC3200 report only a cas 2.5 at 200 MHz? ...or is it dependent on how each individual DIMM tests? Is it possible to get Value Select PC3200 DIMMs that report 200 MHz at 3.0 CAS? Does the JEDEC standard require a DIMM to report the speed it can handle at 2.0, 2.5, and 3.0? I'm wondering why the Value Select that I have only reports 2.5 CAS and why it does not report all three CAS levels? How can a consumer garuntee getting the right kind of memory? I didn't seen any specs on the Value Select PC3200 DIMMs that say what CAS they come in and there wasn't anything on the packaging? Thanks

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry, but with Value select we do not track the change, that’s what makes it Value Select. We do try and provide the best performance for the price and that's why Cass 2.5. I would suggest that ask the reseller to se if they will let you exchange these for CM64SD512-3200 as that would be our JEDEC compliant module. They would probably charge the difference in cost, but that would be up to their RMA Policy. As I said before I have no problem replacing your modules as they should not have any problems with any system. You might try just setting the timings and memory Freq manually to Cass 3-4-4-8 and see if that does not solve the problem. Ram Guy

• 2 months later...
  • Corsair Employees
Can you give us more details about your system and memory you have and the problem that you see? Make and model of MB and the CPU speed and it's FSB and the modules part# you have and the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory?

Archived