Corsair Community

Corsair Obsidian 1000D Build Log/How to Guide

On 4/5/2022 at 7:00 AM, Zotty said:

hi Buddy..

Fan LED Failure does happen (and its covered under warranty) and as you found.  one bad led effects the whole chain. 1000d contains a lot of fans so the risks was higher when it came to an LED failure.

i also suffered a few my self while i had LL fans. i went to QL's and had no issues since.. hope this helps...

Hey!

No way really?  Do you think it may have been a coincidence that I replaced a bunch and the error occurred in the new ones too?  

I ask this because if I buy QLs (which I would because they're much more aesthetically pleasing), I don't want it being the power supply or the wiring that caused the issues.  This would result in breaking my new ones.

I'd love to avoid buying all new wires, recrafting them, power supply and the controllers of course if the problem is just because the LLs arre unreliable.

You have given me a glimmer of hope here, thanks.

15 minutes ago, Da_Fwashy said:

Hey!

No way really?  Do you think it may have been a coincidence that I replaced a bunch and the error occurred in the new ones too?  

I ask this because if I buy QLs (which I would because they're much more aesthetically pleasing), I don't want it being the power supply or the wiring that caused the issues.  This would result in breaking my new ones.

I'd love to avoid buying all new wires, recrafting them, power supply and the controllers of course if the problem is just because the LLs arre unreliable.

You have given me a glimmer of hope here, thanks.

ps. I have waited too long for warranty claims and replaced the LLs too many times to want to use them if they are the route cause.

On 4/6/2022 at 7:59 PM, Da_Fwashy said:

ps. I have waited too long for warranty claims and replaced the LLs too many times to want to use them if they are the route cause.

these fans are sold in their millions dude. i think there may have been a bad batch and we may have been unlucky. i have a lot that have been fine (32 LL's in my 1000d) and one or 2 that gave up an LED to the Great God of RGB lol. not had any issues at all with my QL's......

3 minutes ago, Zotty said:

these fans are sold in their millions dude. i think there may have been a bad batch and we may have been unlucky. i have a lot that have been fine (32 LL's in my 1000d) and one or 2 that gave up an LED to the Great God of RGB lol. not had any issues at all with my QL's......

Okay buddy!

Thanks for the advice.

I have decided to trying the current set up again with QLs and if any go faulty then it's time to start from scratch.  ££££££ :'D

I only have 24 as well haha.

I will start putting all the upgrades and fans in and creating a new custom water loop in a couple of weeks.

I may post a picture of it all functioning and one if the RGB goes Kaboom again :'D.

Speak soon!

It has been an exhaustive journey, but I can say that now I´m satisfied 😁!

https://freeimage.host/i/VYxKJa

https://freeimage.host/i/VYxX5b

• 3 weeks later...

@Zotty

Hey Zotty! Your build and guide has given me confidence to start my own.

I had seen your fan wiring diagrams and was wondering if you could give some insight.

I was wanting to run roughly 24 fans (Ique QL 120RGB) and was told 4 commander XTs would the best route to go. Do you agree?

Thanks for your time!

I was also considering trying to go for 32-34 fans. With 4 480 rads two top two front each with 8 fans and possibly two fans on the rear but not sure if this many fans would be possible to connect or what would be ideal. Thanks!

On 5/5/2022 at 7:46 PM, Greede said:

@Zotty

Hey Zotty! Your build and guide has given me confidence to start my own.

I had seen your fan wiring diagrams and was wondering if you could give some insight.

I was wanting to run roughly 24 fans (Ique QL 120RGB) and was told 4 commander XTs would the best route to go. Do you agree?

Thanks for your time!

it can be done that way. but much more involved in setup in icue and syncing RGB effects across all those fans wont play ball for sequential effects to well.

where as with using RGB Fan LED hubs on splitters to a single Commander Pro and Commander Core XT works much better all round..

the use of powered PWM hubs allows endless amounts of fans to be run from a single controller also.

to finish..

1000D. its all about the RGB imho. and RGB Fan LED Hubs is the best way to do it. 

trouble is in finding them. they are out there..  not sure if pinging Corsair support would get you anywhere.. at minimum it would let them know they are needed.. if enough people shout.. they do listen.

https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Custom-Cooling/Accessories/CORSAIR-RGB-Fan-LED-Hub/p/CO-8950020

On 5/5/2022 at 8:03 PM, Greede said:

I was also considering trying to go for 32-34 fans. With 4 480 rads two top two front each with 8 fans and possibly two fans on the rear but not sure if this many fans would be possible to connect or what would be ideal. Thanks!

i run 32 LL Fans my self.. single Commander Pro... would be easy enough to run more.. but 34 would see that case as max.. to get 4x 480mm rads in there you gotta use thin rads unless you mod the case

• 4 weeks later...

So, building a new configuration.  Trying to figure out what the plug in hanging from the front of the inside of the case is for?  Called Corsair and they don't seem to know.  Kind of disappointed there is not some diagram of the case that shows what it would be.

Anyone have any idea?

IMG_2847.jpg

That is to chain additional RGB devices from the front panel LED channel. You can put strips or fan hubs on it - just need to configure it in iCUE.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/20/2019 at 6:42 AM, Masher76 said:

Not sure why my picture isn’t showing up. I will try to add it below. If it doesn’t work, what I did was cut a hole in the PSU shroud to allow the PSU OLED screen and RGB effects to be seen.

Here is a direct link to the pic on Imgur.

https://imgur.com/gallery/wfeRUFp

Not sure if Masher76 is still around...

But anyone know exactly how he cut a hole in the shroud... and get it to look so good...?

And, anyone know what he is using for the surround to make it look like it's OEM...?

Or, I wonder if any of the cut out PSU shrouds in the newer cases (5000, 7000, etc.) would work in the 1000D...?

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/30/2022 at 12:56 PM, Ngamer said:

Not sure if Masher76 is still around...

But anyone know exactly how he cut a hole in the shroud... and get it to look so good...?

And, anyone know what he is using for the surround to make it look like it's OEM...?

Probably just a Dremel and u-channel rubber cut to size to cover the edge of the cut. Atleast thats how id do it.

9 hours ago, TheJok3rAU said:

Probably just a Dremel and u-channel rubber cut to size to cover the edge of the cut. Atleast thats how id do it.

Hey, thanks!

Unfortunately, looks like this thread is dead...

Can anyone help me with a fan configuration? I will have the 1000d commander core pro, the commander core for the h170i elite and I'll have 4 rgb strips, and 16 sp120 icue fans, I have 3 extra commander core xt if needed and I'm just trying to figure out the best configuration for my build.

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2020 at 10:58 PM, JonC said:

I also removed the top of the case and added spaces adding 5 mm to the metal plate and 15 additional to the glass plate on top to allow the top Radiator to have better airflow. This got my delta T down to 4 - 5 degrees C and got roughly a 6 degree C drop on the processor temps. Probably not relevant for everyone as I'm pushing 12 cores at 5 GHZ and except for stress testing the LL140s stay around 700 - 800 with the fan speed controlled by the Co-Pro and Hydro-X Water Temp Sensor. Pretty pleased with the performance to noise ratio.

Here's a pic of the top tray slid about 1/2 into the case that also shows the increased clearance on the top vents

ens1HD9h.jpg

Hey folks, I am also rebuilding my case but I like JonC's idea raising the top with spacers. Anyone knows diameter  or part number for the spacers? His seem to match OEM spacer. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi @magistare

If you want to rows of radiators/fans , you has to replace the top fan tray, there is not an extra included with the case.

But you can get a 8 fan tray here Obsidian 1000D 8x 120mm Fan Tray (corsair.com) it's the same as the one that is installed  in the front.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I have a general or newbie question as I bought the Corsair 1000d and I would like to add a 7" LCD screen as a sensor panel.  I have not opened the Corsair packaging box yet... But I wanted to know from anyone here who has built a 1000d system.. is there enough room on the side of the power supply shroud between the glass and the shroud to mount a 7" screen horizontally?  Or if anyone has already added an LCD to their systems can you please post a few pictures so I can get an idea where it might look good. I still prefer to have it mounted horizontally.  Thanks in advance to all those who reply.