Corsair Community

Corsair Obsidian 1000D Build Log/How to Guide

it'll work its way out ;) .

and if using an XD5 pump. dont hot swop any of its connections. its known to pop the pwm controller on the pump and/or that fan header on the Commander Pro.

if the machine is already up and running then head into icue and max/min its pump a few times.. may shift the bubble. but you'll find it will move on on its own over a few days anyways

• 2 months later...

Hi Zotty,

I wanted to start off saying great thread with lots of good information on the 1000D case.

I had a few questions about the Front I/O Panel.

I'm working on building a custom case and bought the 1000D Front I/O Panel since it fit my requirements of a Power/Reset button, Mic/Headphone ports, and USB A and C ports.

I didn't realize at first that it also had ARGB lighting, with lead me down the rabbit hole of seeing if I can get that to work leading me to this thread. I saw that you mentioned way at the beginning of the thread there was a way to power the LEDs, at least in white, without any kind of controller, and that's you'd follow up later in the thread on how to do that. After reading through the thread over several days, I didn't see any follow up on how to get the lighting to work.

Ideally, I'd like to control the lights directly through the 5v ARGB Headers, but I'm not sure if that would work. I found Pirate Dog and Moddiy have cables that is a Corsair 3pin male connecter on one end and a 5v ARGB 3 pin on the other and control the lighting through Aura Sync.

My questions are, Is it possible to use the adapter cable to control the lights through Aura Sync? If not, is there a way to get the lighting to work without the 1000D version of the CoPro?

If you need the 1000D version of the CoPro and the standard version won't work, any ideas where I could find the 1000D version (It's not listed on the Corsair store for the US)?

Hey Buddy...

Technically the LED's in the 1000d front IO are just a Corsair LED strip just like corsairs other strips. this will work on all corsairs RGB contollers and should be no reason why an Adapter from Pirate Dog Tech wouldnt work.... it contains 18 LEDS btw..

I currently run 2 x 1000d front IO's. i have one on my desk and of course the one in my 1000d.. the one on my desk is connected to a lighting node pro.

re powering it as white and uncontrolled.. you get a sata power cable with the 1000d that plugs directly into the chassis lighting. not sure this cable is available with out the case.. i shall go research ;)

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks Zotty! I was thinking I'd get some functionality with the Asus ARGB 5v headers with the correct adapter cable.

So to make sure I'm connecting the correct cable, is it the cable with the male end or female end coming off the I/O panel that would need to be connected to the motherboard?

Going off of other pictures of the pass-thru cable, it looks like I would connect the female end of the I/O panel into an adapter cable with a Corsair 3-pin male on one side and a 3-pin 5v argb female on the other.

Eventually, I might add a CoPro to mix, so it's good to know I can use a general CoPro and not the 1000D version.

I was looking at getting the accessory kit when I was putting together parts since it had most of what I needed, but of course it's out of stock.

Edited by Kiler

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Hi,

I have a question regarding the iCue setup for the 1000D. I connected the 1000D Commander pro with the one Commander core and one Lighting Node PRO which has two RGB hubs connected. I don't see both the Commander core and Node PRO in iCue. Do we need to do anything extra to make them available in iCue? I can link the Commander core directly to motherboard and two hubs to Commander pro, since I can see the hub option in settings, but I want to know if I can save one USB in motherboard.

iCUe.thumb.jpg.5a8aa5262b51fdfc778252152343152d.jpg

Edited by supernova82

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is old as heck but I don't care I have to say something.

I Freaking Love Seeing All these awesome full builds with the 1000D.

Your PC is the most perfect example of PC Gaming Enthusiast's PC in the world.

I started this back in the early 90's, you had several cards installed on your motherboard. Your case actually kind of looked filled up. Now so many PC's are a motherboard with video card and that's it. They are so plain looking IMO.

Your PC and the other couple 1000D builds on this site look so freaking amazing.

I'm just sitting here slowing scrolling through the pics with my mouth hangin half open almost ready to drool. I'm dying to upgrade my case. I actually bought a Phantek Enthoo Pro 2 because of the reviews and I didn't even build in it. I took it out of the box and put it back in and sent it back. I want the 1000D but I'm worried I won't fill it up enough. From seeing the Kick ***** builds on this site I understand now you have to do dual system build. Just so happens I have a 9600K, 32GB Crucial Ballistix and 8+ HDDs. So now I have to start shopping for an ITX board.

I know this is old as heck but I don't care I have to say something.

I Freaking Love Seeing All these awesome full builds with the 1000D.

Your PC is the most perfect example of PC Gaming Enthusiast's PC in the world.

I started this back in the early 90's, you had several cards installed on your motherboard. Your case actually kind of looked filled up. Now so many PC's are a motherboard with video card and that's it. They are so plain looking IMO.

Your PC and the other couple 1000D builds on this site look so freaking amazing.

I'm just sitting here slowing scrolling through the pics with my mouth hangin half open almost ready to drool. I'm dying to upgrade my case. I actually bought a Phantek Enthoo Pro 2 because of the reviews and I didn't even build in it. I took it out of the box and put it back in and sent it back. I want the 1000D but I'm worried I won't fill it up enough. From seeing the Kick ***** builds on this site I understand now you have to do dual system build. Just so happens I have a 9600K, 32GB Crucial Ballistix and 8+ HDDs. So now I have to start shopping for an ITX board.

Thanks Bud :) .. I also like to see everyone else builds that get posted. its the community that makes these thread/faqs work and i thank them all :hihi:

• 2 weeks later...

hey folks, just wanted to say a big thanks to this community and @zotty for all the tips, it's been a long journey but finally finished my build this past weekend

I will assemble a full build log at some point in the coming weeks/months, but for now, figured @zotty might like to see a tl;dr

Finished product:

AM-JKLUWOM1t21t276V_do_RAl4VJYliZrMJ_t1BdAupySraqsUNJ6EBHqSrl9__dNQI0nh0f5OI-GCXO1q-z5lOIyxSsorpd11tnxA1zhW0lW9e6C3WtxQvZ9VpRASEpes4Zlh9FjKbUP4-9Qlt-Z4EephaNg=w2180-h1227-no?authuser=0

the salvation of custom wiring:

AM-JKLV8CTsTfu_K1SYtmZp1nFCBNbZYoZobo6xmnVS24Ernws3Xn9IraIkp_lwn0ZGvxrjNbtFOzQJR3y_QNZpvrL5sYiOV0u_Qyxr0QstMVk8FwxOT4wgbz7vF-qSxutKDojH9YoxrdmA8GoMNr_Ap02_RCQ=w725-h1288-no?authuser=0

oh and cat tax, cause i've created an upward exhausting space heater, so why not:

AM-JKLUhK1RATrKgGToAR7ON9rpUmSY6U4d19qCIV4ymZhlwPP7XL7oRvZvAZr7f79P-6-u3EG7KiGNgrNARddyWs-reimyV6X9p9Qps6S2drjlKuV-cqedQewvWAFU3cQjZQkc-kYwsUT-_I_M3mGFXkMcBmA=w2180-h1227-no?authuser=0

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Vrapcenjak said:

Question for the original poster.

You aren't using any of the fan connections on the motherboard? Every single fan is run through CoPro?

Yes. He's running everything through the CoPro. He's not the only one - lots do.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/14/2021 at 1:43 AM, Vrapcenjak said:

Question for the original poster.

You aren't using any of the fan connections on the motherboard? Every single fan is run through CoPro?

indeed buddy,, 🙂 

Q2bE2bm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am about to build a new system in a Corsair 1000D using all EKWB watercooling components and fans.

I will be running 4 radiators - 2 x EKWB XE 480 radiators in push/pull at the front,  2 x EKWB XE 360 radiators in push pull at the top.  I am using EKWB EVO Vardar 120ER D-RGB fans.  In total I will have 32 fans, 28 on the radiators and 4 on the case - 2 on the top and 2 on the rear.

I have all the PWM side of the things sorted, as I will be using multiple EKWB 4 Way PWM Powered Splitter cables to connect up all the fans power back to the board.

My question is for the D-RGB side of the fans, for getting them connected up and running off the 2 x D-RGB headers on the board.  I am using a ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero Board.

My plan is to connect them all up using multiple EKWB 6-Way D-RGB Splitter cables.  However for all the fans, the total rgb load exceeds the 3AMP limit of the header on the board.

So I was looking at using the following Silverstone 8 x D-RGB Powered Hub below, as it increases the total load to 9AMP - 4.5 AMP per channel and then connecting the multiple  EKWB 6 Way D-RGB Splitters to each channel on the hub.  Then the hub connects to one header on the board, 

SIlverstone D-RGB Hub - SilverStone CPL02-E INTRODUCTION (silverstonetek.com)

Just wanted to get opinions for people that have built with that many D-RGB fans and see if that is a workable solution, without having to buy Corsair Commander Pro's and Lightning Nodes, since my fans are not Corsair fans.

Look forward to your replies.  Thanks.

Recent diagram i did for a User with a 1000D  22 RGB fans.H150i elite in Push/pull config.  1 Commander Pro and 3 RGB Fan LED hubs (2 cloned hubs and 2 cloned fans on the none cloned hub)

1088961378_ottoflowerdiagram.thumb.png.476dc655d116f11d1770443fe3b1d389.png

• Thanks 1

King zotty! Thanks brotha for the help! Next stop cable management! You were very patient and helpful, couldn’t have done it without you. Happy for first build 🙂

C317F856-AAA4-434C-ACFA-D8F2C732655D.jpeg

Edited by Ottoflower
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ottoflower said:

King zotty! Thanks brotha for the help! Next stop cable management! You were very patient and helpful, couldn’t have done it without you. Happy for first build 🙂

C317F856-AAA4-434C-ACFA-D8F2C732655D.jpeg

Thanks buddy... You did it.. i just nudged you along :). no easy task in a case of that magnitude with that silly amount of fans lol.. next stop.. custom loops?

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen before (perhaps in this thread, been following it for ages!) that people sometimes stick RGB Node Cores to the back of a XR7 before sliding the radiator mount tray (i.e. the dual 480 one) in, since it will fit between the radiator and the back of the case compartment.

Cut your RGB cables from each fan and reattach the header, and a lot of cable mess gets saved. I'm planning a build this way, and would love to do the same for the fan cables too (as it stands they'll go to 4x 10-way powered splitters).

Does anyone know if it might be possible to use the Commander Core XT in the same way, so I can shorten the RGB and fan cables and leave the rear compartment mercifully uncluttered? For reference, the RGB Node Core is 72mm x 45mm x 13mm, thus I understand will fit inside the "groove" on the side of Corsair 54mm rads.

The XT is reportedly 132mm x 69mm x 16mm, so is 3mm thicker and won't go inside the groove. Is there 1.6cm of space between radiator and case, assuming using dual XR7s on a 480mm mount, both front an top?