Corsair Community

ValueSelect PC3200 512 MB in EPox 8RGA+

bjlaundre

Dear RamGuy, I'm having problems with my ValueSelect memory. Basically, when it's in my epox mboard, my graphics are all messed up (lines, boxes, funny images...b/c my mboard has an onboard graphics chip that uses the RAM, too). It also is very unstable and crashes within 1 min of startup. I don't even get a bluescreen, it simply reboots on its own. I've swapped in a Crucial PC2700 512MB chip in, and my computer works flawlessly. I've heard others have had this problem before. I currently have the epox 7/27/03 bios update. Is that update supposed to be the fix? I've returned my first valueselect memory chip to newegg.com and my new one still has the same exact problem...so, it seems that my memory isn't corrupted like I thought it was initially....there seems to be some sort of incompatibility with my motherboard. What should I do? Should I return the memory and get onther brand? Do you think I've now received 2 defective corsair value select memory chips? I'm very upset at this situation. I've purchased the corsair memory because of the highly respected corsair name...however, I'm losing faith. Sincerely, Bryan Laundre

• 4 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employees
Well the first thing that I would suggest is make sure that you have the memory Freq setting at 100%. For some reason when using the on boad video or if you have 166 Mhz CPU you should be running in sync with this chipset. But if you still get or have problems lets try replacing the modules. Please send us a email with a copy of the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.xls]form[/URL] or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to [email]Rma@corsairmemory.com[/email]. Or you can also use the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.html]On Line RMA Request Form[/URL] as well. If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the RMA please email the same to [email]warranty@corsairmemory.com[/email] and we will help to resolve it. Ram Guy

• 2 months later...
Just got a stick of Corsair RM-VS512MC (VS512MB400 512M/400Mhz/DDR) CL 2.5 memory. Installed it on Epox 8RGA+ with 02/25/03 BIOS. Using the onboard VGA of this motherboard, Windows XP SP1 and Detonator v53.03 for the Geforce4MX onboard video. vDIMM is set to 2.5v. This is the only stick installed on the motherboard. CPU is Athlon XP 2400+ (15x133mhz = 2000mhz) Memory is set to SPD which yields 200mhz 2.5-3-3-8 ("optimal" setting in the BIOS, but still not "aggressive" setting) Upon boot up, there are a few line segments on the Windows desktop. (this does not occur previously when I was just using a Spectek 256Mb DDR333 memory which was run at 166mhz 2.5-3-3-7 or even 2.5-2-2-6) Note that I don't change the CPU multiplier or CPU FSB (which is default multiplier=15x and CPU FSB=133mhz). Only memory speed was changed. Ok, back to the memory -- the Corsair ValueSelect 512Mb DDR400 memory (I had removed the Spectek RAM) occasionally resets/reboots. I check with CPU-Z v1.20a and it says the memory is indeed running at 200mhz (DDR400) 2.5-3-3-8. Running Prime95 v23.7 will generally generate errors in the first few minutes of running. Does this indicate a bad RAM chip? I have yet to try upping the vDIMM to 2.63v and maybe 2.77v to see if the problem still occurs (but shouldn't the Corsair VS RAM be running stably at default 2.5v?)

continuation... I had also tried out this memory on my Asus P4B533-V motherboard. Pentium-4 1.8A only the Corsair ValueSelect 512Mb DDR400 is installed WinXP SP1 Since this mobo runs at DDR266 by default, I decide to overclock the memory ratio so that it runs at DDR333 (ie. CPU multiplier=18x and FSB set to 125 ==> 18x125=2.25ghz now modify the memory ratio 3:4 so that it's running at 125x1.33 = DDR333 speeds). Ok, I set the memory to run at DDR333 and SPD. vDimm is 2.5v. Boot up Windows XP and checked using CPU-Z. Noted that it's running at 167mhz and 2.5-3-3-7. Run Prime95 for about an hour and got no problem. However, if I then manually set the memory settings to 2.5-2-2-6 (still at DDR333 speed), then the system doesn't boot (Asus POST Reporter says "system failed due to CPU overclocking, failed memory test" something like that). Ok, my P4 1.8A can run 2.25ghz reliably (passes Prime95 test for a few hours) at DDR333-2.5-2-2-6 speeds with my prior memory which is a single stick of Kingmax 256Mb DDR333 (6ns chips). Since this Corsair stick is DDR400, shouldn't it at least perform as well (and better) than the Kingmax DDR333? The Kingmax DDR333 can run DDR333 as low as 2.5-2-2-5 with no errors in MemTest86. This Corsair DDR400 can't even POST at DDR333 if set to 2.5-2-2-6 (it only runs at 2.5-3-3-7). Any idea if the stick is the problem here?

• Corsair Employees
Well not always the case. As the Freq. increases the timings will increase as well and the IC will have to support lower Cass settings and our Value select is tested at Cass 2.5-3-3-7 at DDR400 for the modules you have.

• Corsair Employees
Honestly we do not test them like we do XMS, so the only settings we can support are what's tested. Cass 2.5-3-3-7. But you are welcome to test it. I would verify any settings with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] or [URL=http://www.sniggins.com/memory_tester.htm ]Microsoft's Memory test[/URL]

• 7 years later...
Cool, this post is still alive. It's been 7 years since this my first (and also had been my last) post here in the Corsair forums. Anyway, just to report that the Corsair ValueSelect VS400 512Mb DDR400 is still working fine on the Epox 8RGA+ motherboard. The 8RGA+ motherboard has undergone replacement of bloated capacitors mid-way during it's lifetime and is so far still alive. =) The settings I had been using on the motherboard had been DDR333 CL2.5-3-3-7. System specs are: Epox 8RGA+ motherboard (updated to the latest BIOS version) AthlonXP 2400+ processor (the AthlonXP 2400+ is supposed to be 15.0x multiplier, 266mhz FSB = 2000mhz; but I sort of overclocked it to 12.0x, 333mhz FSB = 2000mhz) So it's actually not an overclock, since the processor is still running at default 2.0ghz, except that the multiplier and FSB changed. The reason for using 333mhz FSB is so that memory will run synchronously at 100% Mem Freq, just as the. Ram Guy suggested to use. That way, the memory is running at DDR333 instead of the slower DDR266. I actually tried using 10x multiplier, 400mhz FSB with this processor, to yield the same 2000mhz processor clock speed, but for some reason the board doesn't seem to work properly -- possibly a limitation of the motherboard, which is an nForce 2 chipset, or maybe the AthlonXP 2400+ just doesn't want to be clocked that way (since it formerly was just really 266mhz x 15). Anyway, continuing my previous post, the other memory modules that's installed on this system are: 1x Corsair ValueSelect 512Mb DDR400 1x ******** 256Mb DDR333 1x Spectek 256Mb DDR333 and the memory settings is configured to 1:1 (100%) synchronous memory setting (333mhz FSB), which thus makes the memory run at dual-channel DDR333. The latency I used were just 2.5-3-3-7, since faster settings seem a little bit less than stable. (as already mentioned in my post 7 years ago, if I had just used the ******** and Spectek 256 DDR333 + 256Mb DDR333, these 2 memory modules could do DDR333 2.5-2-2-7, which yields very slightly better memory performance, as per memory benchmarks. But anyway, 2.5-3-3-7 is not far off and unless testing with memory benchmarks, it won't likely show any noticeable day-to-day performance difference.) Although lately, the Spectek DDR333 might have developed some problems since there's slight instability, which goes away if I remove that memory module. Right now, I've temporarily used a Corsair XMS 512Mb DDR400 with the board to augment the total memory (actually the XMS is a dual-channel pair of 512Mb DDR400, but one of the memory sticks seem to have some slight instability, so I had to break up the pair and now just using the good one for the meantime while I try to RMA the other XMS, which is from my other PC.)

Archived