Corsair Community

Gigabyte GA-K8NS-939 & Corsair VS1GBKIT400

Woo545

I recently purchased the following:

Gigabyte GA-K8NS-939

Corsair VS1GBKIT400

When both memory chips are put in to either DDR1 and DDR2 or DDR3 and DDR4 slots, the system will not post. I don't believe there are any BIOS updates for this motherboard. The system posts fine with one stick installed. Each stick works fine, individually. Is there anything I can do to get both of these sticks to work?

I recently purchased the following:

Gigabyte GA-K8NS-939

Corsair VS1GBKIT400

When both memory chips are put in to either DDR1 and DDR2 or DDR3 and DDR4 slots, the system will not post. I don't believe there are any BIOS updates for this motherboard. The system posts fine with one stick installed. Each stick works fine, individually. Is there anything I can do to get both of these sticks to work?

There was a BIOS update, but the Gigabyte site only showed a processor update and another one called "First Release". Either way, I updated the BIOS and put the sticks in DDR1 and DDR3. I guess I can't put the memory in different channels because the memory is not "Dual Channel".

There is no such thing as Dual Channel memory, as this is a property of the memory controller in how it handles memory. This is why you can place memory in different slot configurations on a motherboard and it will register as single or dual channel.

There is no such thing as Dual Channel memory, as this is a property of the memory controller in how it handles memory. This is why you can place memory in different slot configurations on a motherboard and it will register as single or dual channel.

OK... First let me say that I am a newbie around here, I have read the way the dual channel memory controller works, (not that I TOTALLY understand it but I think I get the jest of it) but I have also seen sites out there advertise dual channel memory, I am not saying that there is such a thing but what gives? I am not totally straight on all this and it is a little confusing...

Are what they advertising the memory that has been tested in dual channel scenarios when they say dual channel memory? And, if that is the case, is that the "recommended" memory to buy? Or, does it really matter?

:confused:

Archived