Corsair Community

ML120 RGB and ML140 RGB running of the same lighting hub

EddieMuntz

Hi Party People

Im currently looking at the bits for a new build, I have currently purchased a Corsair Hydro 1080ti card with AIO cooler, and am planning to install the H115i 280mm cpu cooler, and 2 LL140 fans in a 780 T case.

My current thoughts are to replace the 2 stock 140ML fans on the cpu cooler with the rgb variants , and also the GPU stock 120ML fan with the RGB variant.

So im looking at the commander pro and rgb lighting hub manuals and write ups, and they say you cant mix and match fans in the same hub. Does this apply to the size of fan or just the type LL,ML,HD etc?

So essentially im i correct in thinking that in the build, the 3MLs connect to one rgb hub. The 2 LL140s linked back to a further rgb hub. All connected back to the commander pro with it taking all the PWM fan connectors, and some LED strip for a bit of extra whizzbang.

Also whats the general opinion on the HD RGBs are they superior to the LLs and can they be linked back to a lighting hub and commander setup?

Thanks very much in advance.

Regards

EddieM

Can't answer on all your questions, but I have both LL120 and LL140 connected to one hub without any issues. The reason you can't mix fantypes (ML/LL etc) is due to difference in the amount of LEDs and possible also difference in type of rgb used, so the color profiles will not match since one fantype have 12 leds and one have 16 leds.

About the commander pro, it only have 2 lighting ports, so you need a Node Pro for either LED strip or one of the fan hubs, since from my understandings you have "3 devices" which needs to be connected.

So im looking at the commander pro and rgb lighting hub manuals and write ups, and they say you cant mix and match fans in the same hub. Does this apply to the size of fan or just the type LL,ML,HD etc?

As described above, you can mix and match 120 and 140mm sizes. It's the fan types that each need their own hub.

So essentially im i correct in thinking that in the build, the 3MLs connect to one rgb hub. The 2 LL140s linked back to a further rgb hub. All connected back to the commander pro with it taking all the PWM fan connectors, and some LED strip for a bit of extra whizzbang.

Also as mentioned above, for two RGB hubs and strips, you will need to utilize a Lighting Node Pro (LNP) to create a 3rd lighting channel. Good news is you will get a free one in both the ML140 RGB Dual pack and LL140 Dual pack. Make sure you don't buy singles.

Also whats the general opinion on the HD RGBs are they superior to the LLs and can they be linked back to a lighting hub and commander setup?

Superior how? In terms of LED performance? Fan performance? Fan performance is a general wash and these tiny differences in static pressure and airflow are not going to have a meaningful (or even measurable) effect on your end temperature. There is no difference in running 2xML140 and 2xHD140 at the same speed on my GPU 280mm radiator. If there is no difference at 350W for me, you aren't going to see one either on the CPU at a fraction of the wattage. In terms of LEDs, find some videos and watch away. I did not like the HDs when I first got them. WAY too bright, beaming spotlights, risk of sunburn. However, once I got them on the software and now with the layering possible in iCUE, they are rather nice and appear to be my favorite. Like the clear frames/blades and individual LED control. However, this is clearly an individual choice.

Why do you want to mix and match at all? There is no reason not to go all in for one or the other. The only place where you might run into a fan speed limitation is on the 120mm GPU radiator, if I interpreted your specifications correctly. The LL120 has a 1500 rpm max, but that is more likely to ~1400 against a radiator. ML120-RGB 1600 rpm, HD120 1725 rpm. For me, 1500 rpm is about where I stop on 120mm GPU radiator. Past that it is a lot of noise and minimal GPU temp decrease. The differences are slight between the fans, but if being stuck at 1400 rpm is going to bother you, then you may want a different plan.

The ML (4 LED) and LL (16 LED) are very different lighting fans. I am not sure how I would feel about mixing them together. It will be difficult to make a seamless lighting design, but then I am probably one to fuss over that. Those two sets of fans will not have the same lighting options because of the difference in LED count. It will also make running linked effects from front to back substantially more difficult than if you went with 5 ML or 5 LL. Going with a single fan will also remove the need to mount the extra LNP and puts you on 1 RGB Lighting hub. 780T is not a small case, but every little bit helps.

Archived